Join Early Retirement Today

Finally joining the "data plan" family ....
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally joining the "data plan" family ....

Well, I have resisted getting smartphone up to now. The two main reasons were 1) we didn't want our lives to be centered around a technology, and 2) I refused to pay $200/month on top of everything else we pay (DSL, Dish, Netflix, XM, ...). When my 25 year old's cell phone finally died (stopped vibrating), my will to resist was broken. DW & DS are going to get their smartphones in a few days. I will continue to use my cell phone until it dies. Am I the only one in developed countries who is having this much difficulty in joining the "data plan" world? .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife just joined this weekend with a Galaxy Note 3 through Verizon. She is having fun with it. I have an Apple 4s which is fine, other than the screen is a bit small. We will share the 2GB $40 data plan. It's convenient to be able to look up stuff without a computer near. We are both still w*rking and connected for pages and emails through phones.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're not alone, but we're only now starting to see data with some cell phone plans becoming reasonable as long as you aren't a data hog. Some operators are giving unlimited calling and text with a decent allotment of data for $30-40 a month now. It's close to the price point where I might actually consider a data plan instead of the prepaid option I use now which is a little cheaper than that usually, but allows data usage at rather expensive rates (relative to the data plans).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

This topic reminds me of a shopping experience I had this weekend. We needed some house stuff from an arts and crafts shop named "Michaels". I am not sure if this is a nationwide company or not, but it sells almost anything related to arts and crafts.

I know they tend to use coupons a lot, so I pulled out my iPhone, brought up the "Retailmenot" application, and pulled up a 50% off anything in the store coupon. There was a long line in the store, and I was curious to watch the cash register displays to see if anyone else was using coupons. I watched at least five transactions before I was up, and did not see a single person using a coupon (either paper based or electronic). I was amazed. It took me all of ten seconds to find a coupon that gave me 50% off anything in the store. And what really amazed me was that these people in front of me all had smart phones, but they seemed really busy with all their texting and game playing, and didn't seem to know they could be saving 50% simply by pulling up an electronic coupon.

I can't imagine putting myself at a disadvantage like that by not having a smart phone. I routinely use it to find discounts while I'm on the road shopping, or to read reviews on products before I make a purchase at a store. Or to get me home when I'm lost, find a good restaurant to eat at, and on and on. My total bill for everything is $72.00 per month, and I think it's an incredible bargain for all it does for me.

And yes, it even lets me make phone calls too!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been an iPhone user since the beginning and DW and I each have 3 year old 4 versions. Now that I'm in ER I find we barely use the data that we're paying $45/month for. She gets 200 MB for $15 and I'm still on unlimited for $30 per month. That's $540/year and our usage for the past 4 months has averaged 100 MB total for both phones.

I am tempted to drop my unlimited data down to 200 MB and save $15/month, but just a tad gun-shy as you never know if I'd like that unlimited back again in the future. Currently, grandfathered in on AT&Ts original iPhone plan.

Anyway, when i think of paying $45/month of 100MB of data it makes my feel like I'm getting totally ripped off. Wondering if there is a better option that will allow us to keep the iPhones and get rid of the data plans and just use wifi. My understanding is that as long as I'm with AT&T and have a smartphone, I'm gonna be paying for a data plan whether used or not.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There are data plans and then there are data plans. My plan is 42.50 a month for unlimited text and talk, and 2.5G of 'fast' data. After 2.5G are used I get much slower data speeds until my month renews. NO CONTRACT. I think contracts are a ripoff.

I bought my own GSM phone for mucho dollars, but in 16 months I will have paid for it compared to the contract plan rates of the big cell service providers. After that, I save about $30 a month compared to the two year contract plans. :-)

Remember, NO CONTRACT. Then you are free to move to another provider.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Administrator

Once upon a time DW thought I spent too much time on the internets, and it only got worse when I got an iPad. Then, this past January, we got iPhones. Since then she hasn't said a word ... too busy with her iPhone. Not being tethered to the desktop has been as positive for her as it was for me.

The trick now is to get off Verizon. The monthly fee includes the cost of new phones every 2 years. This is unnecessary for us. Virgin Mobile (Sprint network) didn't work out last time, but I'm hoping for better options by YE '14, when our commitment runs out.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... ...I will continue to use my cell phone until it dies. Am I the only one in developed countries who is having this much difficulty in joining the "data plan" world? .
Nope, your not the only one. Funny story...we were at the Amaluna (Cirque) showing yesterday and one of the performers, doing the usual prior to performance spiel about no photos, audio, cell, etc. pretended to grab an audience members' ringing cell phone. She remarked that it was a flip phone and what an 'antique' it was! DH, tracking the 49ers and Bears games on his iphone, just turned to me and smiled!
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Am I the only one in developed countries who is having this much difficulty in joining the "data plan" world? .
Well, my mother doesn't have a smartphone. Of course, she is 89 and computer illiterate.

I get a lot out of my smartphone and couldn't really imagine not having one. I don't have a lot of data. With 4 people on our plan with smartphones on our plan + 2 iPads we share 4 GB of data. When it is just DH and I at home we can drop to 2 GB a month.

I use my iPhone all the time. But, if you wouldn't use the smartphone features then it would be a waste for you.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #10

I have a flip phone also and it is a Tracphone. My DH has an iphone and I use his when we are traveling if needed. He is on my DD's plan and I give her $35.00 per month toward the bill. I buy a year card for my Tracphone and normally do not keep it turned on. I am getting ready to renew the year card and I have so many minutes on it now, that I should just leave it turned on.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #11

I'll admit I'm one of the last without a smart phone. As a travelling salesman I am beginning to get quite a bit ribbing about it. But, I'm not a slave to a device either, When someone sends me a text I simply call them and ask them "can I help you?".
It's quicker and I have all the sales I want. Maybe when I retire and have less to do I'll consider one.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I'll admit I'm one of the last without a smart phone. As a travelling salesman I am beginning to get quite a bit ribbing about it. But, I'm not a slave to a device either, When someone sends me a text I simply call them and ask them "can I help you?".
It's quicker and I have all the sales I want. Maybe when I retire and have less to do I'll consider one.
I guess this is where the anti-social side of me come out. I've always said that I wish these smart phones would just stop offering one feature - phone calls. I can't stand it when people call me for something that they could easily just email me about and let me respond when it's convenient for me. If I could convince everyone that my smart phone no longer makes phone calls, it would be perfect!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

I guess this is where the anti-social side of me come out. I've always said that I wish these smart phones would just stop offering one feature - phone calls. I can't stand it when people call me for something that they could easily just email me about and let me respond when it's convenient for me. If I could convince everyone that my smart phone no longer makes phone calls, it would be perfect!
Never answered?
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Never answered?
MRG
They know my phone works, so I just get yelled at if I don't answer or at least return the call. If the feature went away, then I guess there's nothing I could do about it.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
This describes the iPod Touch. Does pretty much everything the iPhone does, without the telephone.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #16

DW and I have had iPhones almost since they first came out. The original iPhone, then we upgraded to the 3S, then to the 4S, and we'll probably be getting the 5S before long.

We both think we use them extensively, although we're frequently on wifi when we do. However, according to AT&T we obviously don't use them as much as we think we do:

I recently checked our phone bills for the past year, and we average less than 200MB per month each. The high month saw a total of just over 600MB combined.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #17

Still have my Motorola Razr V3 flip phone. Small, compact, light and makes and receives phone calls. When it dies I'll probably get another one off Ebay for $25.

Read somewhere that some guy was robbed at gunpoint. Robber took his buddies Iphones but laughed at his Razr and said "what the f*** is this and gave it back...so I have that going for me as well!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Am I the only one in developed countries who is having this much difficulty in joining the "data plan" world? .
Nope. We resisted until just over a month ago when DW decided she couldn't stand being the only luddite among her smartphone friends. DW's stated reason was simply 'I'm tired of not being able to see pictures my friends send me.' She got the pics on her old semi-smart (voice/text/data) phone, they were just smaller and harder to see than she liked. None of them know how to use them for anything beyond phone/voicemail, text and maybe email - it's all mostly ego/status.

I am still not happy about paying $85/mo vs just over $30/mo before (both for two of us) - but I am enjoying using all the (mostly) free apps on the phone, and now enabled on my car nav system.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #19

Call me a luddite but I will continue using my Verizon, LG flip-open phone for now as well as the foreseeable future.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nope. We resisted until just over a month ago when DW decided she couldn't stand being the only luddite among her smartphone friends. DW's stated reason was simply 'I'm tired of not being able to see pictures my friends send me.'

Well, before deciding to join, I've got DW a smartphone to use as wireless device (no subscription). She can only use it at home, or other places with DSL service. She now wants to use it in cars, when shopping, etc.. She wants to connect with her friends from everywhere. We already watch too much TV and having smartphone everywhere is going to cut down on our quality time.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote