Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, you're retired now... you gotta have something to do with your time... shopping for bargains is a fun pastime.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I find myself questioning expenses more, especially now that I have more time to do them myself. Recently, I replace the innards of a toilet. The cost to have a plumber do it would have been well over $100. I did it for $22, $41 if you count the new wrench I had to buy to remove one part. And, of course, I no longer fear fixing another toilet when the time comes. It did cost me a good 5+ hours of time due to a small leak from the tank, but thanks to the internet I found the cure for that.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
When I was employed, I might have let some of these slide. I don't drive 20 miles to save 50 cents off a grocery item but when I can use free time to save $100 here, $100 there, it's worth it to me now.
Likewise.

Like other posters in this thread I am not struggling, but I find myself thinking and planning more. Healthier and cheaper meals at home instead of the (easy option) restaurant; buying a tree ($40) and planting it ourselves instead of having somebody do it for ten times the amount; money in a savings account moved to CDs; research Groupon deals when we know we are going to spend on something; planning the income stream so we can get the ACA subsidy (thanks to ER.org); and so on ... Maybe these are some things that reduce costs as we grow older (documented in Bernicke's paper, although I am not using his model for planning).

Still, there are unexpected expenses requiring adjustments; we blew through 2.5 years of travel expenses this year; planned was 0.5 years of expense.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm 62, DW is 64. I kind of retired for 6 months this year due to a layoff (got a good severance though). Then my 88 yo mother had a crisis with a fall and now requires 24/7 aids at home which is hugely expensive (she refused to go to an assisted living facility which would have been much less expensive). Cost of that drove me back to work full time (better job, more money, better benefits especially medical coverage which is important since we have chronic medical conditions) even though we have a respectable size portfolio (> $2M). Did not want to jeopardize our desires for a full retirement - fun, travel, etc.

That said - our plans are still to retire in 2 years +- if we can stay the course!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Strugling. There are lots of people living paycheck to paycheck in retirement.
You just haven't gotten much of a response from them on here.
This particular forum is frequented by more affluent people as a rule, hence the name emplies "Early Retirement". Most people who chose to retire Early, can afford to retire early.

Excellent point. While I would never call myself "affluent", unless TEOTWAWKI happens, I can't envision having any issues with money. OTOH, I've lived a frugal life for decades, and have always lived "paycheck to paycheck" (I call it a budget). Consequently, I have a very strong feeling I've over saved for retirement, but so what, I've never done without anything that really mattered to me.

My retirement budget is actually almost 2x my pre-retirement budget, with a respectable travel line item extending out to end of plan. What all will I do with it? We'll see. I don't like "stuff" (be it material things*, cutsey "bucket list" experiences, and other retiree "must haves"), so downsizing and/or living paycheck to paycheck wouldn't bother me at all. You can't buy the calm, contentment, and peace of mind that comes with simplicity, IMO.

*I did remodel the house modestly and buy a new Mercedes two weeks after retirement. While the remodel was well worth it in terms of satisfaction, the Mercedes was clearly a mistake (yes, what was I thinking?). 5 months later and it doesn't even have 1K miles on it. I'll be selling it and downsizing cars sometime soon.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #26

One thing we've found is that we don't feel the overwhelming need to travel, to get away, now that we don't have work stress. In fact, preparing for our last 2 week trip was the most stress I've had since retiring. This next year, we decided to travel less and work on the house more. We really enjoy being home, cooking, reading, grandchildren, and our pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
One thing we've found is that we don't feel the overwhelming need to travel, to get away, now that we don't have work stress. In fact, preparing for our last 2 week trip was the most stress I've had since retiring. This next year, we decided to travel less and work on the house more. We really enjoy being home, cooking, reading, grandchildren, and our pets.
That is interesting because we came to some of the same conclusions. We had thought about selling our house and downsizing to travel, and realized over time that decluttering enough to fit into a condo, fixing up our house to sell, looking for a new house - that was all getting to be a lot of work. So we decided to stay in the house we have now, take the occasional big trip, and try to do more local outings, like days at the beach, plays and museum visits.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We find planning for our two trips to be fun. Interviewing our next short term tenant not so much. But that forces us to get our place shipshape.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #29

financial changes due to retiring.

Part of our stress was finding a new house/pet sitter. Our last one had been reliable, but then last December, she didn't stay at the house or let the dogs out like she should. She just left a big pile of food out. We were very upset with her and she gave some weak excuses. So we found a graduate student through Rover.com and she was reliable and took good care of our home and pets during our two week trip. But still, it was worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #30

As my retirement includes the occasional paid job, we have yet to experience this issue.
However I have become sensitised to the damage a large unexpected bill could be to retirement.

Just reading this thread makes me think I should plan for the: furnace, A/C, fridge, dishwasher in the next 12 months. I already did the range and microwave recently.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
As my retirement includes the occasional paid job, we have yet to experience this issue.
However I have become sensitised to the damage a large unexpected bill could be to retirement.

Just reading this thread makes me think I should plan for the: furnace, A/C, fridge, dishwasher in the next 12 months. I already did the range and microwave recently.

It can and does....In my first 3 years I needed a roof, water heater, dishwasher, and A/C unit. My pension is my paycheck and my investments are that, not to be touched. So I did what I always did back in the day. Got the old 0% credit card access checks out, rolled the debt over to another one until they were paid off. ...Ready to blow the dust off the checks again whenever I will need new carpet, washer/dryer, and furnace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk