financial changes due to retiring.

One thing we've found is that we don't feel the overwhelming need to travel, to get away, now that we don't have work stress. In fact, preparing for our last 2 week trip was the most stress I've had since retiring. This next year, we decided to travel less and work on the house more. We really enjoy being home, cooking, reading, grandchildren, and our pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

One thing we've found is that we don't feel the overwhelming need to travel, to get away, now that we don't have work stress. In fact, preparing for our last 2 week trip was the most stress I've had since retiring. This next year, we decided to travel less and work on the house more. We really enjoy being home, cooking, reading, grandchildren, and our pets.

That is interesting because we came to some of the same conclusions. We had thought about selling our house and downsizing to travel, and realized over time that decluttering enough to fit into a condo, fixing up our house to sell, looking for a new house - that was all getting to be a lot of work. So we decided to stay in the house we have now, take the occasional big trip, and try to do more local outings, like days at the beach, plays and museum visits.

We find planning for our two trips to be fun. Interviewing our next short term tenant not so much. But that forces us to get our place shipshape.

Part of our stress was finding a new house/pet sitter. Our last one had been reliable, but then last December, she didn't stay at the house or let the dogs out like she should. She just left a big pile of food out. We were very upset with her and she gave some weak excuses. So we found a graduate student through Rover.com and she was reliable and took good care of our home and pets during our two week trip. But still, it was worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

As my retirement includes the occasional paid job, we have yet to experience this issue.
However I have become sensitised to the damage a large unexpected bill could be to retirement.

Just reading this thread makes me think I should plan for the: furnace, A/C, fridge, dishwasher in the next 12 months. I already did the range and microwave recently.

As my retirement includes the occasional paid job, we have yet to experience this issue.
However I have become sensitised to the damage a large unexpected bill could be to retirement.

Just reading this thread makes me think I should plan for the: furnace, A/C, fridge, dishwasher in the next 12 months. I already did the range and microwave recently.

It can and does....In my first 3 years I needed a roof, water heater, dishwasher, and A/C unit. My pension is my paycheck and my investments are that, not to be touched. So I did what I always did back in the day. Got the old 0% credit card access checks out, rolled the debt over to another one until they were paid off. ...Ready to blow the dust off the checks again whenever I will need new carpet, washer/dryer, and furnace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom