Financial Enginees (VG), Full View (Fido) and others ?

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
So used to use Financial Enginees (VG) and VG removed it now.
Full View (Fido) is having major issues linking accounts and practically unusable.

So it makes me think what other people are using to see high level view of their portfolios.

Specifically like in my case I have my portfolio spread with VG, Fido and Schwab, Treasury Direct just to mention few.

Quicken. I manually record investment transactions and update fund quotes monthly as well as cash and credit cards transactions.

Quicken. I manually record investment transactions and update fund quotes monthly as well as cash and credit cards transactions.

I use Quicken too, but online services with ‘live’ links to all accounts were kinda a check against Quicken data ....

Tell me what you want to actually see. I am not sure what "high level" means. I always hated Financial Engines output because it was basically useless fluff and didn't match some other output.

Also, I don't "link accounts", but enter tickers and shares manually as "outside investments." Fidelity will get the share prices. What I have entered is kept, so I only have to enter it once and update it once in a while. This works for me since I don't change tickers nor number of shares very often. That is, I don't make many transactions.

Here is bogleheads.org thread on some tools shown (including Vanguard, Fidelity (not full view), Personal Capital, Morningstar):

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150267

I use USAA and it is pretty good with links to other accounts. Treasury Direct requires a code to log in, so that doesn’t update automatically. Otherwise they’re pretty good for seeing the big picture.

Financial engines is still available via Vanguard. They refer to it as "Personal Online Advisor". I couldn't find the link so I searched the site for "Financial engines".

I use USAA and it is pretty good with links to other accounts. Treasury Direct requires a code to log in, so that doesn’t update automatically. Otherwise they’re pretty good for seeing the big picture.

Do I need to have an account open to use USAA?

Financial engines is still available via Vanguard. They refer to it as "Personal Online Advisor". I couldn't find the link so I searched the site for "Financial engines".

I called VG and was told Financial engines was removed
Can you see your accounts now?

I just accessed Financial Engines via Vanguard. My accounts were there and the application was fully functional.

Financial Engines seems to require a Vanguard adviser as part of their Personal Advisory Services Plan. FE acts as subadviser to Vanguard. No thanks!

"The Vanguard Group has partnered with Financial Engines Advisors LLC (FEA) to provide subadvisory services to Personal Online Advisor. FEA is an independent, federally registered investment advisor that does not sell investments or receive commission for the investments it recommends. Advisory services are provided by Vanguard Advisers, Inc. (VAI), a federally registered investment advisor and an affiliate of The Vanguard Group, Inc. (Vanguard). Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, which are distributed by Vanguard Marketing Corporation, a registered broker-dealer affiliated with VAI and Vanguard. Neither Vanguard, Financial Engines, nor their respective affiliates guarantee future results. Vanguard will not sell your personal information to third parties and will use your information only in accordance with Vanguard's Privacy Policy."

Financial Engines seems to require a Vanguard adviser as part of their Personal Advisory Services Plan. FE acts as subadviser to Vanguard. No thanks!

"The Vanguard Group has partnered with Financial Engines Advisors LLC (FEA) to provide subadvisory services to Personal Online Advisor. FEA is an independent, federally registered investment advisor that does not sell investments or receive commission for the investments it recommends. Advisory services are provided by Vanguard Advisers, Inc. (VAI), a federally registered investment advisor and an affiliate of The Vanguard Group, Inc. (Vanguard). Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, which are distributed by Vanguard Marketing Corporation, a registered broker-dealer affiliated with VAI and Vanguard. Neither Vanguard, Financial Engines, nor their respective affiliates guarantee future results. Vanguard will not sell your personal information to third parties and will use your information only in accordance with Vanguard's Privacy Policy."

Another Reader, I'm not sure I understand your concern.

I am a DIY investor at Vanguard. I do not pay for any advisory services. I use Financial Engines and consider it to be a valuable tool.

My 401k is with Hewitt. Similar to Vanguard, Hewitt offers Financial Engines for their DIY investors and Personal Advisors for those desiring to pay for a professional to manage their investments.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't want to pay for Personal Advisory Service to use Financial Engines. I have a relatively small portfolio at Vanguard and I cannot use Financial Engines without signing up for PAS.

wanaberetiree,

Potentially another option for you....I see at the bottom of the financial engines website (https://financialengines.com/) there are links to Client Logins for:
Online Advice
Charles Schwab
Fidelity
TD Ameritrade​
I am not a client of any of these services so I can't try these out.

The Personal Capital App is pretty good and has a lot of information available to you once you link everything. And it is free!

.... I am a DIY investor at Vanguard. I do not pay for any advisory services. I use Financial Engines and consider it to be a valuable tool. ....

Are you sure?... in response to this thread I logged on and saw the Financial Engines link at the bottom right of the My Accounts page... clicked on it and it opened a new window asking me what accounts I wanted included like it always has, clicked OK at the bottom right of that window and another window opens telling me that I am being redireced to the Financial Engines website... then NOTHING.

clicked OK at the bottom right of that window and another window opens telling me that I am being redireced to the Financial Engines website... then NOTHING.

Works for me. Maybe you have an ad blocker that interfered with it?

Opened up a new window at that point and gave me a choice of "Let us do it for you" or "Manage it on your own". Then click OK and off you go.

FWIW, I have just a small account at Vanguard with no special services.

I dunno... I was ultimately able to get to FE but it is much different than before and a bit flaky.

I find no link to anything except Portfolio Watch. On every page I open, there is a suggestion to enroll in PAS. I'm just a plain vanilla Voyager level account at Vanguard, so maybe they think I'm the perfect sales target for that product.

Of course, the reason I'm only Voyager level is their incompetent service, odd rules and ancient website...

What problems are you having with Fullview? There is a day lag in some cases with 3rd party accounts, but I find it usable, though not up to the minute accurate.

What problems are you having with Fullview? There is a day lag in some cases with 3rd party accounts, but I find it usable, though not up to the minute accurate.

VG accounts can not be authenticated from Full View.
Fido was fixing it for 2 moths already.

Last edited:
The Personal Capital App is pretty good and has a lot of information available to you once you link everything. And it is free!

Yes seems like PC is the only options, although they are annoying with their calls and also they have access to your accounts.

Back
Top Bottom