Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I agree.
I think the author of the article should be the first to try it out: let him experience the age discrimination issues and the fun of working for "know it all" twenty something bosses. The author can report back to us with his experience when he hits 70!...if he lives that long.
I didn't interview with a 20-something boss.
He was probably my age, but everybody on his staff except one was in their 20s.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I agree, except for physically demanding jobs, like construction workers. I don't think it's right to expect someone to keep laying bricks until they are 70.
Yup.
I imagine being a Stanford researcher at 70 is a whole lot more feasible than being a 70 year old mason.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Given that this is an ER forum, this is just a piece to earn our derision...
Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Given that this is an ER forum, this is just a piece to earn our derision...
I think whoever wrote the article hasn't tried looking for a job at age 50 or greater. Or even try to keep a job at 50 or beyond.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I suggest every Financial Planner and Advisor work till 70. Let's see how many of these theives taste their own medicine.
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I think whoever wrote the article hasn't tried looking for a job at age 50 or greater. Or even try to keep a job at 50 or beyond.

Bingo!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Even though I took a package voluntarily, I tried to get work after that for 1 year with having many high level contacts, but no one would hire a 56 yr old even willing to take a decent pay cut.
Thankfully, discovered this site and various calculators and hopefully the rest is history....
Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Even though I took a package voluntarily, I tried to get work after that for 1 year with having many high level contacts, but no one would hire a 56 yr old even willing to take a decent pay cut.
Thankfully, discovered this site and various calculators and hopefully the rest is history....
How did you know when to stop looking?

Were you willing to relocate?
Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How did you know when to stop looking?

Were you willing to relocate?
Just as I got turned down for a job after 1 year, where it was me vs. no one else even with an inside contact, but they were just using me for info and didn't hire anyone, I was very frustrated and by chance within a week I discovered this site.
This led me to a myriad of calculators plus Bogleheads. Then stopped looking, so the discoveries and calculations "decided" for me and felt I can do this retirement thing NOW.
We were already cutting down our expenses for possible retirement at 62.
We relocated to FLA from HCOL in the NE. We already felt strong about moving to FLA, so not as big a decision that others would have about relocating.

As an aside, I shunned all former contacts and moved forward and don't miss any of the power or monies.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Just as I got turned down for a job after 1 year, where
We relocated to FLA from HCOL in the NE. We already felt strong about moving to FLA, so not as big a decision that others would have about relocating.
With the relocation, I meant relocating for the new job.

It sounds like it was something you would have done.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With the relocation, I meant relocating for the new job.

It sounds like it was something you would have done.
Oh sorry..
Yes indeed, i was looking for work in Boston, LA, Ohio and FLA besides my area where I lived, but to no avail.
I am truly not sure what I would have done next if I definitively needed to work.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
This led me to a myriad of calculators plus Bogleheads. Then stopped looking, so the discoveries and calculations "decided" for me and felt I can do this retirement thing NOW.
We were already cutting down our expenses for possible retirement at 62.
I had the option of launching a new startup and decided that 7 years was more than I was prepared to commit. It is ironic that sometimes circumstances force a decision that turns out to be fortuitous! (It would have been an early competitor to Uber.)

It took us 5 years to stumble upon the low COL relocation. I struggled to keep the portfolio growing above market by trading during those years. So I was not really retired. Working from home.

When we discovered the COL in Mexico, I was able to go with a value-oriented passive dividend portfolio and still have lots of buffer. After ten years, we are into Blow That Dough!

(We seriously considered FLA but decided against it because we are Canadian. Plus being from PNW, we love mountains.)
Old 05-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I had the option of launching a new startup and decided that 7 years was more than I was prepared to commit. It is ironic that sometimes circumstances force a decision that turns out to be fortuitous! (It would have been an early competitor to Uber.)

It took us 5 years to stumble upon the low COL relocation. I struggled to keep the portfolio growing above market by trading during those years. So I was not really retired. Working from home.

When we discovered the COL in Mexico, I was able to go with a value-oriented passive dividend portfolio and still have lots of buffer. After ten years, we are into Blow That Dough!

(We seriously considered FLA but decided against it because we are Canadian. Plus being from PNW, we love mountains.)
I believe many Canadians come here for the winter to play golf.
Is there an anti Canadian vibe in FLA, or a different reference?
Old 05-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

70? maybe if you have a cushy office job. I will have a hard enough time working until late 50's or so doing hard labor after 3 hip surgeries including a total hip replacement.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Yup.
I imagine being a Stanford researcher at 70 is a whole lot more feasible than being a 70 year old mason.
The few older mason's I know (three, aged late 50's and two in early 60's) started the daily grind grunt work at a young age. By age 40 give or take all three had their own business and were only laying brick/block maybe 10-20% of the time. By 50-55 they weren't laying any brick/block but were watching their much younger crew do all the hard work. Isn't that the way it is suppose to work? I worked hard turning wrenches on the flight line until my early 30's. Now it is all office work getting paid about three times as much. If you start a grunt job in your 20's and you are still working that same grunt job in your late 50's/early 60's, you are foolish. Most people move up the ladder. The store cleark/cashier moves up to assistant manager, then manager, etc... The young mechanic after a few years runs the shift then maybe becomes a Quality Assurance rep, etc... We learn/progress from birth to age 18-22 then what? We just stagnate and stay in the same grunt job until we are 70?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
The few older mason's I know (three, aged late 50's and two in early 60's) started the daily grind grunt work at a young age. By age 40 give or take all three had their own business and were only laying brick/block maybe 10-20% of the time. By 50-55 they weren't laying any brick/block but were watching their much younger crew do all the hard work. Isn't that the way it is suppose to work? I worked hard turning wrenches on the flight line until my early 30's. Now it is all office work getting paid about three times as much. If you start a grunt job in your 20's and you are still working that same grunt job in your late 50's/early 60's, you are foolish. Most people move up the ladder. The store cleark/cashier moves up to assistant manager, then manager, etc... The young mechanic after a few years runs the shift then maybe becomes a Quality Assurance rep, etc... We learn/progress from birth to age 18-22 then what? We just stagnate and stay in the same grunt job until we are 70?
Very few factory, mill, warehouse jobs have the type of upward mobility your describe. Nearly all will do the same heavy labor type job their entire career. Maybe 5% or less will move into a supervisor/manager position.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Very few factory, mill, warehouse jobs have the type of upward mobility your describe. Nearly all will do the same heavy labor type job their entire career. Maybe 5% or less will move into a supervisor/manager position.
+1
I spent 10 years in sawmills and logging. Even when I had a management position I was expected to fill in. Had to teach the newbies how to lift properly and run chainsaws. I was also qualified in the mill as a lumber inspector, if there were no qualified production workers available I would fill in. Green lumber sucks! Maybe 10-30K board feet, you physically handle daily, sometimes multiple times. On a good day that's probably 250,000 pounds some of it 200 pounds apiece or more.

There was an older guy, I was hired to replace when he retired. They didn't put him on the line, he couldn't do it anymore. He did small dry pieces of walnut.

Honestly if I'd stayed past my 20's I wouldn't have been able to hold up past 40-50. That's being optimistic, one bad move and you're out for a long time.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
I spent 10 years in sawmills and logging. Even when I had a management position I was expected to fill in. Had to teach the newbies how to lift properly and run chainsaws. I was also qualified in the mill as a lumber inspector, if there were no qualified production workers available I would fill in. Green lumber sucks! Maybe 10-30K board feet, you physically handle daily, sometimes multiple times. On a good day that's probably 250,000 pounds some of it 200 pounds apiece or more.

There was an older guy, I was hired to replace when he retired. They didn't put him on the line, he couldn't do it anymore. He did small dry pieces of walnut.

Honestly if I'd stayed past my 20's I wouldn't have been able to hold up past 40-50. That's being optimistic, one bad move and you're out for a long time.
I work in a union paper converting company. Everything is based on seniority so most of the older people choose the least physical jobs but there aren't enough for all the 50+ workers. If you can't do your job they can't just put you on a easier job. You have to get restrictions from a doctor saying you can't perform certain things. If YOU say you can't do it but your doctor doesn't give you restrictions then you are out of luck. You either do the job(painfully) or you quit/get fired.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #59
gone traveling

What is their criteria for "financial expert"?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
of course we call all give examples to support either position. We also know that careers are limited in many parts of the country (rural WV as an example). I just don't buy the excuses. Too many examples of people who worked for and "got out" of those depressed areas. Show me someone who is 50-60-70 and working in a rough job (construction, mason, logging, etc...) and I will look back on their life and point out to you things they could of and should have done differently. Many times things happen that get someone stuck in that life/career. Divorce, family member health issue, etc... I understand that. I remember a close friend of mine snickering when I told him that I joined the military. Ten ranks later and a nice pension check and he is is awe. He actually said "wish I would have joined with you". My 67 yr old neighbor started in the mail room. He is doing just fine. Don't know the exact size of his stash but to support what he has it has to be mid 7 figures.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote