Join Early Retirement Today

Financial security on the internet
Old 06-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial security on the internet

It seems many use financial software such as Quicken and MS Money.
Many access thier bank accounts and brokerage accounts online some may not even get paper statements to confirm their holdings.

This seems OK to me for credit cards since the bank usually is responsible but Quicken and Money I wonder about. Especially if account numbers are included on the software.

Any concerns here?
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Financial security on the internet
Old 06-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

What specifically are you worried about? Quicken and MS Money don't phone home that I know of. A hacker would have to get into your computer to access Quicken/MS money databases.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Gerald and AltaRed - Many posters here have indicated that they use the quicken or money software to download details of their accounts from banks, brokerages,* mutual fund houses, etc.* http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=6440.0* and *http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=4025.0

I see this as a potential security breach.* It seems that a good romanian or russian hacker with large capabilities would be very likely to see quicken as a great candidate for a large-scale scam involving all of these accounts;* a couple of ingenious new virii, spyware treats, and pfishing expeditions could set them up for a real big score.* *As a result, I do not choose to give quicken the account numbers and passwords of any of our several investment accounts.*

I do use my quicken software to manually keep an accurate track of our accounts.* I use the quicken "online" "One-Step Update" feature only to allow quicken to download the values of the various stock and mutual fund shares so that I can have a current valuation of our holdings.

I do worry about Quicken since they are the biggest guys in town and have the most oppurtunity to compromise our financial security.* I do believe that quicken has a first-rate band of the finest internet security people working these issues but I have some respect for the capabilities of the bad guys also.* Better to be safe than sorry.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
I do use my quicken software to manually keep an accurate track of our accounts.* I use the quicken "online" "One-Step Update" feature only to allow quicken to download the values of the various stock and mutual fund shares so that I can have a current valuation of our holdings.

I do worry about Quicken since they are the biggest guys in town and have the most oppurtunity to compromise our financial security.* I do believe that quicken has a first-rate band of the finest internet security people working these issues but I have some respect for the capabilities of the bad guys also.* Better to be safe than sorry.

JohnP
Okay, I missed the point about letting Quicken gather the data. I've never done that mostly because I want to enter the data a certain way with memo items. I actually do the same as you do, manually update Quicken from bank and investment accounts and use One Step Update for prices.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote