Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Finding "Value" in your purchases
Old 02-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Toshiba laptop and air tickets to Chapala, Mexico and California to see family and friends.

Otherwise, we don't have a lotta stuff. 8)

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The (very) short list of purchases that still delight me everytime I think about them:
the 1976 Argosy Airstream Motorhome
the electric gate opener
the 2x week personal trainer (outrageously expensive)
the iPod
the 8 meg digital camera
the 3-month sailing trip to the Bahamas that started us on the path to FIRE

I find it very hard to spend money on new stuff and will agonize over a purchase for a long time before biting the bullet.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #23

We got our GPS for the car - a Magellan, we LOVE it! We use it on road trips and also around town. It was totally worth the money.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
We got our GPS for the car - a Magellan- 3 years ago before the prices started coming down. Doesn't matter that we spent a lot on it, we LOVE it! We use it on road trips and also around town. It was totally worth the money.
Glad you said that. I just ordered a Garmin Nuvi 360. Not sure if I'll have buyer's remorse or not.

Other recent large purchase was a 20" Apple iMac in February. I usually replace my desktop machine every 3 years (which is a long time for a computer nerd), and the old Dell PowerEdge was due for replacement. Very happy with the iMac.
segfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
Buy art!!
I'll second that. Hands down, the most "spendthrift" items around our house, about which I have no remorse and which provide continual enjoyment are art objects (or similar). Some were quite inexpensive (small ceramics from Mexico). Some not particularly so (watercolors/pastels/ sculpture, a wonderful kaleidescope we got a while back, some tiffany lanp repros). Some are not at all cheap (kinetic yard sculpture, a couple of oriental rugs). We do look for value in such purchases, as defined by things we really appreciate and expect to have around for a long time. We don't feel we "pay through the nose" for anything. But neither do we delude ourselves by thinking of them as investments in any monetary sense. They're just things that give us pleasure to be around on an ongoing basis. So yes to art (and also travel, I guess).

On the other hand, I can't see any point in paying more than is needed for commodity items like
food, clothes, cars, or other stuff you just use up in your life. We've got modest tastes in those areas, and we also go really basic on electroncis, appliances, or other lifestyle/household gadgets. Ongoing LBYM allows us to splurge now then on the other stuff.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lasik eye surgery.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Lasik eye surgery.
DH would totally agree with you - says its the best money he ever spent.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw
I'll second that. Hands down, the most "spendthrift" items around our house, about which I have no remorse and which provide continual enjoyment are art objects (or similar).
Yay! Somebody who thinks like I do. Art inspires us. It enriches life. And, it doesn't wear out or become obsolete. Also, as you mentioned, art can be purchased at prices appropriate to any budget - - even a LBYM budget. You just have to look longer for what you want (and that's a great pastime in itself).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

The laptop I'm using right now & the trip to Israel last year that I bought it for

Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Fractional interest in a beautiful vacation condo. Regular time there is absolutely wonderful.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #31

About 18 months ago DH and I bought my neighbor's 92 miata. It is our 3rd car, and for a mom of twins, totally impractical and unnecessary. I drive it to w*rk, and when running errands on weekends. Living in florida, the top is down most of the time. Sure beats driving the Honda van when I have to carpool

BTW, we got it for $1,200, and it has only needed routine maintenance. With 125,000 miles, I expect to have it for years.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #32

Justin:
Quote:
Lasik eye surgery.
Shiny:
Quote:
DH would totally agree with you - says its the best money he ever spent.
I think this idea is just great. Thing is, I'm really scared to have anyone 'mess' with my eyes. I never could put contacts in... and I had a mole removed once from an eyelid, and I thought I was gonna jump out of that chair. The doc came at me with this looooong needle and I about fainted. I could have easily used a tranquilizer! Sigh...

Warhog
Quote:
The laptop I'm using right now & the trip to Israel last year that I bought it for
How did you like Isreal? Where did you go? Did you feel safe? Did you visit family or go on a tour? What would you recommend? I would love to go, but... terrorists? what do you think? (This from a world traveler... )

Thanks!

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
How did you like Isreal? Where did you go? Did you feel safe? Did you visit family or go on a tour? What would you recommend? I would love to go, but... terrorists? what do you think? (This from a world traveler... )
I'm not Warhog, but I've been to Israel on a business trip. Landed at the airport, stayed at a hotel in Tel Aviv, and worked at a little town nearby. I left the same day the US Congress authorized the President to use force in Iraq.

I really liked the Israeli people and their food. I felt reasonably safe after talking with a bunch of people - basically if you avoided the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, as well as nightclubs and public buses at that time you were OK.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #34

Thanks, 2Cor.

I imagine for the most part, using one's common sense and getting local information really helps.

I dislike having Fear run any part of my life, but from time to time it does. I would love to see some of the holy places in Isreal... maybe some day.

Thanks again.

Be well,
Akaisha