Finished up a carving today

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• IMG_2953 (2).JPG
    IMG_2953 (2).JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2952 (2).JPG
    IMG_2952 (2).JPG
    139 KB · Views: 63
That's awesome! How long does it take to do something like this? Is this for your own use, or is it a business?

It takes about 35/40 hours. I do it for enjoyment but it has become more then a hobby. Lol I do sell some and also give some to charity events for them to raise money.

How did you know that was inside the tree? :confused:

Very nice work!

How long have you been pursuing this hobby?

How tall is the piece? (I'm guessing 12"-15", based on it sitting atop a table and the umbrella shaft next to it.)

omni

Very nice! Just wondering - how long do you wait after the tree is cut down before you start your carving? And do you put a sealer on it when you're done?

The carvings are about 24 inches high and I have messed around with carving for 20 years but only started this type the last 10 years. When I say 20 years that is I might have done a small project in one years. Time was always a factor but always had the interest in creating and using my imagination.

These logs come from trees the beaver have taken down and they may lay 3 to 4 years before I will use them. I get them from my ranch on the river bottom mostly. I have went and cut some pieces and have them stored in my shed when I get the urge to carve. Lol

I only use oil on them when I done. When color is used it is all natural things like tree bark, dirt, berry's, scoria, coal etc. and will use a colored pencil once and a while.

When I start a carving I don't look at a picture I just start and do as I go and the carving takes me to the end. The one thing I just don't carve to carve when I get the urge I start one and my finish it in 4 days or it may take two month's. I don't make it a job.

My F-I-L did a carving like that. A tree died, and he carved away after having the top taken off. Of course rot and insect damage had a serious impact over ten years or so.

He had the same technique. Used chain saw, motorized tools, chisels, etc. The tree was probably 18-24" in diameter.

+13 very cool.

The city we used to live in had a carving project for old tree stumps, broken trees, etc.. They had engaged a "chainsaw artist" who came around and made public art from peoples trees. He did some very cool stuff. I used to pass one every day on my walk to work.

Jim Menken Chainsaw Carving - JIM MENKEN Chainsaw Carving

Koogie >>>> thanks for the link that is very good! I don't use a chain saw or any electric tools to carve. I do it the old fashion way one chip at a time with home made tools, chisels, gouges etc..

Beautiful!

Thats really nice, I painted my mothers garage door once. It was one step above graffiti. I have no artistic talent at all.

That is about my level of artistic talent as well.:D

To OP: Beautiful work. I am envious of people that can see the potential in a block of wood, or a stack of iron, and make something so awesome.

I was asked to post a few more carvings I have done. I will look for a few more to share with you folks also.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I like to share a few picture from time to time because if I sell or give them to charity I never get to see them again. A carving is very unique in the regards that there is never another just like it. A painting for instants you can make prints.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

Maybe someone can rotate them. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 3
Such personality! I like that he is wearing what looks like beaver tails, and it's from a beaver-harvested tree.

Back
Top Bottom