Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have a fire extinguisher mounted on the wall in your kitchen?
Yes 18 41.86%
No 25 58.14%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, if its big enough to make you wish you had a fire extinguisher in your hands, in 5-10 minutes you're going to be looking at 10-20k in repairs and another 10-15k cleaning up the smoke damage.

When I was about 19 the people in the apartment next door lit their stove on fire and their kitchen burned up. After all was said and done I found that the bottom dish in a stack inside my cabinets with the doors shut had a fine layer of soot on it, as did everything else. And that fire was next door...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

One of my BILs was doing fish fry one winter and was just inside the garage to keep warm... sloshed the oil over and started a fire... Screaming and yelling and a 911 call made...

Pull out the fire extinguisher and spray the oil fire onto the hood and roof of my sisters car and down the driveway... (most went out quickly)... got some baking soda and salt and put out the main fire as the fire trucks were driving up...

Gave the firemen some fried fish and they were on their way...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to buy a small one today just in case........

Thanks, guys, Murphy's Law will now hit me and I WILL have a fire now...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
So those of you feeling comfy with nearby extinguishers, hydrants, & fire departments-- don't confuse overconfidence & blissful ignorance with being ready to put the fire out or with expecting help to arrive quickly. Nothing trumps prevention & avoidance, and I wouldn't get too comfortable about cooking with oil, grease, or deep-fat fryers... especially if you're using a gas flame.
Absolutely.

I grew up with wood stoves and am very conscious of fire safety.

I don't smoke.
No clothes dryer
Smoke detectors
Boiler serviced every fall
(replacement will not have pilot light)
Space heaters only when here and awake
Cooking only when here and awake
(except for crockpot)
No gasoline stored in house
Had whole (50 year old) house rewired/upgraded/grounded 9 years ago
(they pulled some amazing stuff out of the walls)
Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The only kitchen fire that I've had to deal with, was at the local Thai restaurant. They had sloshed some grease from a deep-fat fryer onto the burner, setting the whole works on fire. They were all running around screaming and hollering something in Thai that I finally deciphered as "FIRE!!!". I saw an extinguisher just outside the kitchen door, grabbed it, and put out the flames.....then went back to my lunch. I would have hated to see the joint burn down before I finished my meal.
Did you have to pay for your meal?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Slightly off topic, but when I moved into my house I installed overhead sprinklers (the kind that open when exposed to heat) in the furnace room and laundry room, which are both in the basement. If there was a fire when I was not home, there is a chance they would put it out or limit it. If they went off falsely, damage should be less so than if on a higher floor. Knock on wood, they have never activated.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We are required by the health & safety inspectors to have current extinguishers in all common areas of the apartments. Cheaper to replace them than to have them tested and refilled, so we buy new and pass out lots of out of date but charged extinguishers to friends and relatives for their boats, fireplaces, barbeques.... I'm kinda not known as Mr. Safety and tend to enjoy using fire to accomplish things that were perhaps better done in some other manner. Do plan to see what concentrated fire from a 45 and an SKS do to a charged extinguisher - maybe for new years!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'll take that chance. We actually have two firehouses, so the chance of all firetrucks being out of commission is negligible.

But, living in California,I would keep about 20 of them on hand, with brush fires a plenty..........
Hey FD, did you ever see how much damage can be done by the time the fire dept. arrives. Not only that, the damage they do putting the fire out is sometimes worse than the fire.

Make the investment, this is one time when being cheap is not good.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Did you have to pay for your meal?
Yep! The owner refused to accept payment for my bill!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote