Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With so much interest about trees, maybe a good place for some notes about "Tree Law", one of the busiest areas of homeowner legal responsibilities.

Conflicts Involving Trees and Neighbors - FindLaw

and one more... with which I learned about at total cost of about $2000.
SC fallen tree - no storm- Act of God? and cleanup liability - Lawyers.com Community

These articles cover responsibilities for expenses involving costs associated with having trees on the property.

Some of the Q & A quetions:
Quote:
A storm knocked down my neighbor's tree limb onto my property, damaging my house, car, and yard furniture. Is he responsible for the damages? -
...and a "boundary tree"
Quote:
Most of a large tree hangs over my yard, but the trunk is in the neighbor's yard. Who owns the tree?
Quote:
The spreading of tree roots on my land damaged my neighbor's septic tank. Do I have to compensate my neighbors?
Do you know what your homeowners insurance covers?

Back to tree trimming.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #42

We had an 18 yo laborer in a neighboring town killed by the tree he was pulling with a rope. The guy who helps me at the lake lost his son working as a lumberman ... crushed by a tree. And these guys worked for "professionals".

Never want to be below the "work" ... that's why I like the 50 ft lift.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

My step-father who raised me 'learned' me: "Never let a bush touch the side of your house--never let a tree hang over your roof--and I never have!" I'm like Amethyst---we are down to 10 trees (3 whimpy ones and 7 that are 15+' tall after they're trimmed--they were supposed to be dwarf trees, but somebody lied to me). I've been trimming them and hauling the branches to the dump for almost 40 years--and yea, I hate it. I use an 8' stepladder, me on the next to top rung gets another 5-6', arm in the air is 2'+, and holding a hedge trimmer is 2'--so I'm able to go 17 feet off the ground. Had a 110' sliver maple that a tornado took out 1/3 of in Jan.-2008. I hired a crew to take it down, plus 14 12+' bushes around my pool fence, plus 6 30' trees in my garden, for $2k. I had to split and stack all the wood and clean up at least 1/2 the debris. Have never been on a ladder with my chain saw that I can remember. I'm doing it the cheap way, but the older I get, the harder it seems to get. Hmm....any of my neighbors doing the same??--not a chance--mostly, they just let them go.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Alas, DW (who has always been smarter than me) puts her foot down on this kind of work, and so we always hire the pros. It bruises my ego a bit, but I know she's right.
I suspect this is one reason that married men live longer than single ones. The wife keeps them from doing stupid things that will get them killed.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I suspect this is one reason that married men live longer than single ones. The wife keeps them from doing stupid things that will get them killed.
I have posted before about every year DH wants to save $150 to clean out the gutters and I insist on hiring a younger, more nimble footed, experienced roofer with workers comp insurance to do it.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suspect this is one reason that married men live longer than single ones.
It just seems longer.

(Somebody was gonna say it . . .)