Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it's all about human nature. We don't, as a species, look far into the future, or remember the distant path. For most, planning and sacrificing now for something that won't happen for 20 to 30 years seems inconceivable. I've talked about FIRE to a lot of friends, and only one, eventually, got it. The others aren't willing to adjust the lifestyle to meet the eventual goal.

I did a retirement planning presentaiton at work, and everyone who attended left discouraged, because they are so far behind and aren't doing enough. One out of 15 attendees came back and asked some questions, and she was concerned only about the end-of-2018 market losses.

Most just can't comprehend the power of compounded earnings, living below one's means, or being able to make ER a reality, even though they'd love to!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #42

If you think it's lonely talking about it pre-FIRE, many here can tell you it only gets worse post-fire.

Lots of people ACT like they are interested in talking about it, but once you explain about LBYM, frugalnesss, decades of steady monthly investment, (in our case, renting out homes and all of those adventures), etc., they become dis-interested in the work/dedication required. I guess they think there is a magic wand or something.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Same here. My dear, penny pinching, wife is snug in bed. Example: We make chicken thighs in the oven she pours off the broth for a soup in the future. She skims the fat and feeds it to the chickens. I could write a book about it.
Once a long time ago, when I with my single mother girlfriend (not my child).
I took the bones from a roasted chicken, and made soup out of them.
She laughingly said to me, I was the only person she knew who recycled food

Hopefully she remembered that as she took quite a few more years before getting off welfare.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
In our experience it is similar to other worthwhile endeavours.

Everyone seems to want some form of it but far fewer are prepared to expend the effort and follow the personal discipline to make it a reality in their lives.
I'm in very good shape and some of my friends who don't exercise have commented that it must be nice to be fit, strong, not have a sore back, etc. I tell them that it only takes 20 minutes a day and that I'll help to get them started, but not a single one of them has taken me up on the offer.

FI is the same thing...some people spend the few minutes it takes to pack a lunch, make a pot of coffee, put a little into savings, buy a gently used car while others buy lunch every day, stop for a take out coffee, spend any leftover money, and buy a new car every 3 or 4 years.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I make soup stock from vegetable trimmings and bones. It is a lot cheaper and healthier than most bouillon or package broths and there's no packaging to discard.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #46

Making stock from chicken bones and vegetable trimmings isn't merely frugal, it's gourmet! You aren't using pre-packaged multi-ingredient commercial products. The stock is better quality, particularly when the bones are roasted first.

And - another cost-saving benefit - it provides winter warmth and moisture to the kitchen.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Making stock from chicken bones and vegetable trimmings isn't merely frugal, it's gourmet! You aren't using pre-packaged multi-ingredient commercial products. The stock is better quality, particularly when the bones are roasted first.

And - another cost-saving benefit - it provides winter warmth and moisture to the kitchen.
That's exactly how we make it. We sometimes save bones in the freezer until we have enough to make a big batch of stock, and then we can it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A voice from the other side.
Initially after my cancer scare, out intention was for me to go back to my (then) plans to build out my new business. As part of the recovery we spent some time at our lakeside park model camper in the Woodhaven Lakes campground. By chance, we found a dozen or so, youngish couples around our age., who had retired early and decided to live in the campground, and snowbird to Florida, Texas or Arizona.

It was great, and we did that ourselves, from 1989 to 2012. The thing is, we basically lived together, played together, traveled together, square danced, and spent the rest of the time playing cards and doing "pot luck dinners". We were all basically in the same economic status, so there was absolutely no "keeping up with...", and we shared everything from food, to boats, to rides and everything in between. A closeness that never was anything but friendly. Really... a lesson in getting along, that transferred to our Florida over 55 community.

In short, it was a breakaway from the working world and any peer pressure or vanity. Probably the best thing we ever did in our 30 year retirement.
I always love your posts like this Imoldernu
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #49
gone traveling

The same $40 have been in my wallet all year so far, I do use a debit card that comes from my checking acct. I set up my direct deposit payroll so $20 a week disappears into a savings acct, and 20% disappears into my 401K. I pay at the pump to avoid the temptations of the convenience store, I pack my lunch every day, and drink water most of the time. We park our campers in the back yard with friends for holidays, I have burnt firewood for our sole heat for 25 years now, and i'm going to retire 5 years before my due date....It's more of a lifestyle than a choice !

All of my friends have claimed they will have to work forever.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

OMG, happened to
Me tonight at dinner. You are not alone!
Monterey298sc is offline   Reply With Quote