Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, my husband and I joke that we are catastrophe planners at heart. We try to prepare for everything to go wrong and then enjoy those moments when it doesn't. Honestly, I was preparing for one of us to be disabled or dead so that is why I want us living on one income. In my defense, my father has had two back surgeries and my mother died when I was 16 so I see living on one income a realistic reaction to having to live on only one income when the bills were built for two incomes.

I tell people I am optimist for those things that don't affect me if I am wrong, a pessimist for those things that could destroy me if I am not prepared and a realist when I am honest.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoineag View Post
I tell people I am optimist for those things that don't affect me if I am wrong, a pessimist for those things that could destroy me if I am not prepared and a realist when I am honest.
I love that, Caoineag!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
There's a phrase called "Bahala na" which loosely translates to "Come what may".
a song i really like is from the film moulin rouge! titled "come what may" and so the optimist in me thought upon reading your post that should i ever get a boat what a great name "bahala na" would be.

but then the pessimist in me researched and found bahala na to be the name of a drug running filipino gang. hmmm. perhaps a name best not painted astern.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I am a mild pessimist. I don't believe that the world is coming to an end, but I do believe that we should save as much as possible today because I don't think that things will be as good in the future as they are now (higher taxes, lower incomes, lower benefits...). Perhaps it comes from hearing my grand mother talk about the war, food rationing and the great depression and how all these things can happen so quickly and so unexpectedly. I don't know...

What I know is that when I arrived in the US in 1997, I thought Americans were a very optimistic bunch. Overly optimistic in fact... It used to frustrate me when people kept saying things like "everything will work out in the end...". I just wanted to say "how do you know?", "how can you be so sure?". But sure they were and I had come to love that eternal optimism. I say "had" because right now I can't find that optimism anymore in America. I feel like everywhere you turn, It's all doom and gloom. Hopefully it will change...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #25

I would describe myself as a realist. I pride myself in having a 1/2 full attititude, but having grown up in a large urban metropolis, I am also as street smart as the next guy. One of the things I have come to realize over the years (being an old phart), is that if I have low expectations of people, situations, ...etc., I am never disappointed or surprised (except for being pleasantly surprised when they/it exceeds my expectation).
My goal now (that I have my financial house in order) is to live life with as little stress as possible. The problem with actually achieving that is that small things that 'go south on me' start to seem like larger stressers than they should be (upon retrospection).

I am one of those delusional ones really think that medical technology for us 50 somethings will get to the point where we actually will have the expectations to live to be 100 (with replacement parts of course). I am looking forward to another 45 years or so, if I have the means (to fund the parts, ... which by the way is included in my spread sheets), of a good quality life. If I had known I'd be in this good (financial ) shape when I was younger, I woulda taken better care of myself. My focus is to stay in as good a shape (within reason) as I can, so I can go to Target and get those new knee joints. How's that for optimistic?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bahala Na, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
but then the pessimist in me researched and found bahala na to be the name of a drug running filipino gang. hmmm. perhaps a name best not painted astern.
Sorry--Bahala Na Gang was new to me, too, but it did come up when I googled the phrase before even posting about it. I was aware of the OXO and Sige-Sige gangs while growing up but it's weird how I never heard of BNG.

Did you see the other entry that came up with a comics site of the same name? It gives another use of the phrase which I have actually heard from people making a decision (or not making one) about a problem or endeavor: "Bahala na" is a Filipino phrase which is sometimes translated as "Leave it to God". While this usually comes across as a fatalist or passive attitude, it is also a motto for daring or impetuous acts. It is in that latter spirit that I forge ahead with this website. Bahala na!

Maybe you can use Doris Day's "Que Sera, Sera" instead on your boat? -- no gangs listed on the first page of Google results
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I say "had" because right now I can't find that optimism anymore in America. I feel like everywhere you turn, It's all doom and gloom. Hopefully it will change...
Don't worry FIREdreamer, it will all work out in the end
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I would describe myself as a realist. I pride myself in having a 1/2 full attititude, but having grown up in a large urban metropolis, I am also as street smart as the next guy. One of the things I have come to realize over the years (being an old phart), is that if I have low expectations of people, situations, ...etc., I am never disappointed or surprised (except for being pleasantly surprised when they/it exceeds my expectation).
My goal now (that I have my financial house in order) is to live life with as little stress as possible. The problem with actually achieving that is that small things that 'go south on me' start to seem like larger stressers than they should be (upon retrospection).
Count me in the realist group. Like Megacorpfree said, I also have realistic expectations for people and events and am seldom surprised by most people. My life experience has taught me much about people and the world so my expectations are generally low.

My FIRE program was based on my desire to retire before age 55. I managed to make it happen despite some major setbacks.

Life tends to throw you curve balls every once in a while so if you are always looking for the strike down the middle you won't see the curve until it is too late.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
Maybe you can use Doris Day's "Que Sera, Sera" instead on your boat?
oh no, i can't do that. people might think i'm gay.

actually i still really like bahala na. will keep it in my baby naming, um, i mean, boat naming book.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Time horizon is a closer fit
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Time horizon is a closer fit

Optimism and pessimism can be focused on the present or the future. The complete pessimist would realize planning is pointless, while the complete optimist would consider planning unnecessary. I started saving when I realized how long I could live without work. One month to homelessness isn't very comforting. Saving soon brought me more comfort than spending though. Now I am mostly optimistic and want to be wealthy. Have to admit, I was pretty morose when I was young though.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #31

Put me down in the realist category too. Most pessimists I know don't save since it won't make any difference. The optimists I know are getting rich off Amway.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Interesting question. I have always viewed the glass half full. I'm not a grinning optimist thinking everything is going to be just fine, fine, fine. However, I am cautiously optimistic, willing to believe things will work out, but hedging my bets in case it doesn't. I'm so middle of the road that all my personality profile thingys look like squares. Whoops, do you think...

Maybe I'm neither one.
Doesn't matter if glass is half empty or half full, I want to know who drank my beer! I prefer drinking out of a bottle anyway.

I don't think saving has anything to do with pessism or optimism.

I think any situation can be turned around. My wife thinks the worst will always happen to her.

I save, she spends.