First, Best, and Worst music concert

First - rolling stones in Chicago 1972
Best - Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton and Gary Wright outdoors in Chicago 1976
Worst - probably one that DW wanted to go to - maybe Journey because they are ok but not on of my favorites.
Recent - Elton John in Las Vegas last year - awesome

First - Beach Boys or Simon & Garfunkel (boring)
Best - Patti Smith
Worst - Steppenwolf (they left all the lights on the entire concert. They had so few songs the did Born to be Wild three times.)

Others: The Who (was checking out at a dept store and some guy with an English accent came up next to me and asked if they had any black shirts (no). It was Pete Townshend.), Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (great), John Sebastian, America, Paul Williams (funny), Michael Johnson (Bluer Than Blue), Restless Heart.

Aside - the Rolling Stones first USA tour (1964) was only 4 gigs. One of which was an amusement park here. I still remember the evening news led with a picture of them and the anchor saying "would you let your daughter date them?". They were really scruffy. Didn't see them and didn't even know them. All Beatles at that time.

antmary, I was there too, up in the front by the stage and a little to the right between the Hell's Angels bus and the fight/stabbing. What a nightmare. That was definitely the worst concert of my life. I thought I would be trampled/smashed/squashed by all those people, and no way to possibly get out. After that, I never again went to a concert without assigned seats. :(

Mick Jagger scared me silly when he sang Sympathy for the Devil, with that big cape. But he calmed people around me when he said, "Brothers and Sisters! Brothers and sisters..." and whatever else he said trying to get people to calm down when things were getting wildly out of hand.

I was down by the stage too...I liked to get "in on the action." But, there was so much pushing and shoving...well, you know. The Hell's Angels were really scary. My friend & I then went up on the hill to watch. But, the Hell's Angels kept riding their motorcycles through the groups of people. We left early. It sounds "far-out," but a big white dog showed up and walked us to the car.

Oddest concert... went surfing at my local spot. A full sized gray whale had washed up on the beach overnight right where I go out. Very unusual. Don't get downwind of that! While I was out in the water, a group set up a stage on the beach with the PA system facing us out in the surf. Bonnie Raitt and Graham Nash played some kind of greenpeace/save the whales concert while I surfed. Could never figure out the odds of that all coming together like that. (btw, gray whales are really big up close and Bonnie Raitt is a tiny person, I walked right by her as I got out of the water, very strange).

First - rolling stones in Chicago 1972
Best - Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton and Gary Wright outdoors in Chicago 1976
Worst - probably one that DW wanted to go to - maybe Journey because they are ok but not on of my favorites.
Recent - Elton John in Las Vegas last year - awesome

Besides the stones in 1972, I was at that outdoor concert (Hawthorne Park??) in 1976. Went primarily to see Frampton and Yes but thought LS (as the 2nd act) blew everybody off the stage. We actually left during Yes's set since we were beat to hell, dehydrated etc.. If I remember correctly, it was a very hot day.

Some randumb comments...

The last time I saw Marshall Tucker was the early 90s at the Texas State Fair. Of course, Tommy Caldwell died many years ago, though Toy was still alive, but infamous for his heavy whiskey drinking, so he wasn't with them either. The subsitute guitarist was actually pretty good at imitating Toy's work, but Doug Gray lost his voice years ago, as have many rock singers, from too many years of smoking, drinking, carousing, and screaming.

I think I'm about done going to concerts of old rockers. The experience has been mixed for many years now anyway, but here's my take: many old bands are touring on name alone. Members have quit, expired, are in rehab, or, for that matter have lost theirs voices and/or forgot to practice before touring, and their chops are gone.

Some, like the last time I saw the Eagles, were tight musically, but Glenn Frey's voice was almost gone, and rather than let Tim Schmidt sing "Take It To The Limit" (Randy Meisner sang it originally), he just had to sing it himself, moving away from the mike so we couldn't hear the squeaks on the high notes. Even Don Henley had some trouble, and they dropped the key on a couple of his songs, which most people don't notice, but I do, since I play some Eagles songs on guitar, and my ear hears the difference...

For that matter, Elton John is now a baritone, and not a tenor, and though he's still a good singer, voice-wise, it never sounds right to my ear to hear a song dropped one or two whole notes...

The last time I saw Jethro Tull, the band was musically still very good, but Ian Anderson has about a half octave range at this point.

I guess it's discouraging to see these old bands living on reputation only. At least if they've obviously rehearsed, and taken into account their lousy vocals, I'm "okay" with it, but if they're just touring to pay their whiskey bills, and didn't really bother to practice first, well they could have just stayed home.

Now, I suppose many concert goers don't really notice all that, but my ear hears it, and I'd rather remember them at their heyday. I've still seen some good concerts of the old groups, but it's getting fewer and farther between. Even Carlos Santana, one of my favorite players since way back when, seems to rely on a few "signature" licks. The last time I saw him, I was disappointed in his playing... Jeff Beck, the opening act that night, was f-n awesome. No loss of chops there!

Plus, I've seen nearly everyone I've wanted to see, and my attention span is about two hours max these days.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the old rockers thing. Just saw George Thorogood and he's still playing the same old greatest hits. He was fine, but didn't spark us like way earlier gigs.

I'm seeing a lot of less well known blues groups that I like at smaller clubs. Like Janiva Magness, Joe Louis Walker along with Tab Benoit. Finding I can't stand or sit in a packed club for very long any more without wanting to smack the next person that slams into me or drops their drink on my feet. Feeling like I played rugby the next day. Used to do it all then go to the show again the next day and do it over... and like it.

Seen groups like Santana, Los Lobos, the Dead so many times, really don't care if I ever see them again. Well, if the Dead played, that'd be pretty weird. Hated it when the Beach Boys back up band is hitting the high notes for Mike Love in the middle of the song. Refused to go see Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

First - Janis Joplin
Worst - Men At Work
Best - SADE (7/2011)

I'm with you on the old rockers thing. Just saw George Thorogood and he's still playing the same old greatest hits. He was fine, but didn't spark us like way earlier gigs.

I'm seeing a lot of less well known blues groups that I like at smaller clubs. Like Janiva Magness, Joe Louis Walker along with Tab Benoit. Finding I can't stand or sit in a packed club for very long any more without wanting to smack the next person that slams into me or drops their drink on my feet. Feeling like I played rugby the next day. Used to do it all then go to the show again the next day and do it over... and like it.

Seen groups like Santana, Los Lobos, the Dead so many times, really don't care if I ever see them again. Well, if the Dead played, that'd be pretty weird. Hated it when the Beach Boys back up band is hitting the high notes for Mike Love in the middle of the song. Refused to go see Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

I did see Creedence Revisited, along with the "latest" version of Steppenwolf at that point in time; i.e. John Kay and some other guys. Wasn't that bad; Elliott Easten on guitar, but if I'm going to hear a "cover band", why am I paying star-like ticket prices...

Speaking of "cover bands", I'm less than enthralled with the latest craze of "tribute bands"...

Couple of good small venues here, Granada Theater and Verizon Theater, are about the only places I go anymore.

First: The Turtles and The Who - they were an odd combination to be touring together.

Best: hard to choose, but one of these 3: Janis Joplin, Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zepplin

Worst: probably a second concert I saw with Jimi Hendrix. He played twice that evening and since I worked at the venue, I got to see both shows. The first was fabulous, impressive and I loved it. The second show of the night was sloppy, incoherent and boring. He had obviously either gotten very drunk or high between sets and could barely play or even stay upright. It was very disappointing.

golfnut said:
Besides the stones in 1972, I was at that outdoor concert (Hawthorne Park??) in 1976. Went primarily to see Frampton and Yes but thought LS (as the 2nd act) blew everybody off the stage. We actually left during Yes's set since we were beat to hell, dehydrated etc.. If I remember correctly, it was a very hot day.

Yes it was at Hawthorne and very hot. Lots of people in the medical tents suffering from dehydration- and other things. Lots of scantily clad girls. It was a great time. We went mostly to see Frampton also and you're right- Skynyrd was the best.

SJ1_ said:
First - Janis Joplin

Me too!

Worst concert was a "taste of...." suburban festival with a "mamas and the papas" group--papa Denny, Scott Mackenzie, I think Mackenzie Phillips and some random woman singer. It really wasn't that bad but obviously just a chance to make a little money (they got us to drive 30 miles--dh is a huge m&p fan). The audience was rather elderly with many walkers and portable oxygen (aging demographic in this town) so not a lot of "dancing in the street."

Last edited:
Regrettably I haven't been to as many concerts as some of you (LBYM). All that I can remember of big name rock & roll/pop acts (in random order):
The Who
Sting (3)
The Police
Donna Summer (DW)
Elton John
Jethro Tull (2)
James Taylor
America
Styx
Stephen Stills
Devo
Santana
Phil Collins
Sheryl Crow
Bryan Adams
Jimmy Buffett (6)
Cheap Trick
Yes
Don Henley
Kenny Loggins

We've been to quite a few classical/orchestral concerts and stage plays too, but I'm not counting them on this thread...

Last edited:
First: The Turtles and The Who - they were an odd combination to be touring together.
I saw The Who for the first time when they were the opening act for Herman's Hermits. I don't think that arrangement lasted very long as most people, me included, left the concert after The Who were done. I could see where The Who would be a hard act to follow.

I saw The Who for the first time when they were the opening act for Herman's Hermits. I don't think that arrangement lasted very long as most people left the concert after The Who were done. I could see where The Who would be a hard act to follow.

IIRC, Hendrix first toured with The Monkees...

In the movie Great Balls of Fire, Jerry Lee was POed about being warm-up for Chuck Berry, so he played one hell of a set, then lit his piano afire. In the movie, at least, when he walked off stage, he told Chuck to "top that"... :LOL:

Me too!

Worst concert was a "taste of...." suburban festival with a "mamas and the papas" group--papa Denny, Scott Mackenzie, I think Mackenzie Phillips and some random woman singer. It really wasn't that bad but obviously just a chance to make a little money (they got us to drive 30 miles--dh is a huge m&p fan). The audience was rather elderly with many walkers and portable oxygen (aging demographic in this town) so not a lot of "dancing in the street."

Sure those weren't full of nitrous?

Urban Dictionary: whip-it

First - Johnny Cash and the Tenesse Three (or was it Two?), Theatre-in-the-Round, Nanuet NY, 1969 or thereabouts. June Carter Cash was unable to perform, family illness. :(
Best - Harry Chapin, Delhi State College, 1976.
Worst - Peter Frampton, Binghamton Arena, 1979. He was great, but the kid who puked (drunk) one row away from me kinda killed the fun. :mad:

Others performances (many free at the Great NYS Fair) - Chubby Checker, Charlie Daniels Band, Crosby Stills & Nash, Woodstock 99 East stage lineup (James Brown, Alanis Morissette, Dave Matthews Band, Sheryl Crow, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Jewel), Joni Mitchell, Richie Havens, Heart, Jethro Tull, Air Supply, Joan Jett, Willie Nelson and Friends, Judy Collins, Neil Young, Peter Paul & Mary, Aretha Franklin, BB King, Radio City Music Hall tribute to Frank Sinatra, Jesus Christ Superstar (recast with original cast member for Jesus), Nutcracker with Moscow Ballet, Bill Staines (amazing yodeller), plus numerous coffee house performers at SUNY Oneonta 1976-1979.

Wow, I've been to a lot! :)

Last edited:
First was Fleetwood Mac back when Stevie Nicks would have made me break out one of the good spatulas. Last and best was Jethro Tull at the Orpheum in Boston...the venue was so small the band started running around with champagne glasses and bottles towards the end and we all toasted the finale. Very cool.

Van Halen back in '85 was also quite good.

I was a band killer for a while...I forget who I saw but they were major and three I saw in a row broke up soon thereafter. So those were the worst, and I was disallowed from concertgoing after that. About the same time I was disallowed from dating waitresses, but thats another story.

First was Fleetwood Mac back when Stevie Nicks would have made me break out one of the good spatulas. Last and best was Jethro Tull at the Orpheum in Boston...the venue was so small the band started running around with champagne glasses and bottles towards the end and we all toasted the finale. Very cool.

Van Halen back in '85 was also quite good.

I was a band killer for a while...I forget who I saw but they were major and three I saw in a row broke up soon thereafter. So those were the worst, and I was disallowed from concertgoing after that. About the same time I was disallowed from dating waitresses, but thats another story.

And you all were toasted by the finale...

First & Best: Goose Creek Symphony (1968?) maybe it was GF's 'special' brownies that we took for snacks

Worst: Gordon Lightfoot (about the same time) he was so drunk/stoned he fell offf the stage, concert ended

Other good ones: John Prine/Steve Goodman, Stones (outside in a Cdn Dec.), Leneord Cohen, Joni Mitchell (in her home town), Dr. Hook

cute fuzzy bunny said:

I felt like a band killer for awhile, too. About a month after seeing Janis Joplin and then later, Jimi Hendrix, they each died. It was spooky.

First - Jethro Tull, ~1975

Best - Queen, 1977. It was just awesome!

Worst - maybe the Beach Boys - it wasn't my idea to go LOL!

Honorable mentions: Frank Zappa(1981), U2 (1982) and The Police (1980)

Too bad I missed the 1994 Pink Floyd Pulse tour!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom