Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First: Billy Joel 1976,
Best: Sarah McLachlan,
Tied for Worst: Bush & Goo Goo Dolls, Willie Nelson
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I have not been to that many concerts... but hey...

First, Three Dog Night... as opposed to someone else, I thought it was good

Worst - Pat Benatar... during the first song she belted out some loud note and half the speakers blew out.... the half that were on MY side of the venue... she kept singing and we could only hear because the other side was pretty loud.... but still sounded like crap...

Best - I bet I will get some flak for this, but it was Michael Jackson... the Victory and Thriller tour... got free tickets for me and about 20 or so friends.... but the concert was pretty good anyhow...

I will put down my second best... as it was very close to Jackson... Elton John....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Thought about all the concerts I've been to over the years. In no particular order...
Snip...

Probably more than I can remember. There was a thread on that in the past.

In some order: Steppenwolf, Grand Funk, Bloodrock, Chicago, ELP, Yes, Humble Pie, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, McKendree Spring, Dr. John, Larry Coryell, Siegal-Schwall Band, Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Mac Davis, ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Jefferson Starship, Earl Scruggs, Kiss, Grinder's Switch, Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy, Roy Buchanan, BB King, REO Speedwagon, Bob Seger, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Aerosmith, Foghat, The Outlaws, Bob Dylan, Steve Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Don Henley, John Hartford, Brewer and Shipley, Billy Cobham, Paul McCartney, Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Loudon Wainwright, Jr. Brown, Steve Miller, Jimmy Buffett, Toby Keith, James Taylor, John McLaughlin, Johnny Winter, Robert Earl Keen, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, John Prine, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Pat Brown, Dierks Bentley, Taylor Swift, Kansas, America, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Dweezil Zappa, Jackson Browne, Steely Dan, Return To Forever...

Probably left out some/many?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Here's my list (as well as I can remember):

Charlie Daniels Band/Molly Hatchet
Bruce Springsteen (1981 and 2005)
Fleetwood Mac
Harry Chapin
America
Hall & Oates
Jimmy Buffett
Doobie Brothers
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Arlo Guthrie
Jefferson Starship: Next Generation
Marshall Tucker Band
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band
Spin Doctors
Foghat
Blue Oyster Cult
We've been to our share of concerts, haven't we...

When we went to see the Eagles in '77, we bought six tickets {for us and our friends). The lady at the ticket sales booth said, 'You do know that's gonna be $42 plus tax, right ?'

Ticket prices have changed a bit...

...and HFWR, dewd, you be one concert goin' fool!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

When we went to see the Eagles in '77, we bought six tickets {for us and our friends). The lady at the ticket sales booth said, 'You do know that's gonna be $42 plus tax, right? '

Thirteenth row tickets for Steppenwolf in 1970 were $5.50...

Oh, yeah, I forgot, I saw the Eagles, but I paid $130 ea...

Old 10-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #26

Just paid over 350$ this week for two tickets to see Tony Bennett ... it literally hurt but then I figure there probably aren't too many more years to see him left...
Two years ago they wanted that much EACH to see Van Morrison. Yeah, don't think so. Stayed home, had a gourmet dinner, fine wine and put the CD in the player instead. Still came out about $600 ahead.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

When we went to see the Eagles in '77, we bought six tickets {for us and our friends). The lady at the ticket sales booth said, 'You do know that's gonna be $42 plus tax, right ?'

When I saw Yes in 73 or 74 it was five bucks, not bad, not bad at all.

T-bird
T-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #28

First- Hank Williams Jr - Mid '60's we were both kids

Best - Bruce- 1975 Solid nonstop three hour show

Worst - One of several in the '70's - can't recall exactly
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Snip...

In some order: Steppenwolf, Grand Funk, Bloodrock, Chicago, ELP, Yes, Humble Pie, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, McKendree Spring, Dr. John, Larry Coryell, Siegal-Schwall Band, Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Mac Davis, ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Jefferson Starship, Earl Scruggs, Kiss, Grinder's Switch, Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy, Roy Buchanan, BB King, REO Speedwagon, Bob Seger, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Aerosmith, Foghat, The Outlaws, Bob Dylan, Steve Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Don Henley, John Hartford, Brewer and Shipley, Billy Cobham, Paul McCartney, Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Loudon Wainwright, Jr. Brown, Steve Miller, Jimmy Buffett, Toby Keith, James Taylor, John McLaughlin, Johnny Winter, Robert Earl Keen, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, John Prine, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Pat Brown, Dierks Bentley, Taylor Swift, Kansas, America, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Dweezil Zappa, Jackson Browne, Steely Dan, Return To Forever...

That's an impressive list. I couldn't even begin to remember all the shows I've seen. Not because they were so many, it's just the buffers are rusty and overflowing with useless scatological matter.

My first concert, as told before, was Jimi Hendrix in '68 in Chicago.

So many shows have been so good, none stands out as best. Only a few were bad, and they are forgotten. One show I remember because it was a small coffeehouse setting was Joan Baez and John Wesley Harding.

To quote Joe Walsh, life's been good to me so far.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR

Snip...

Rolling Stones, Orleans, Jeff Beck, Eagles, CSNY, CSN, Stills and Young, Mahogany Rush, Moody Blues, Monkees, Lynyrd Skynyrd, JD Souther...

The oldest ticket stub I have is Yes, July '72, but the price was torn away. Zappa in '77 was $6. Steve Winwood in'86 was $14.50...

Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I started trying to think of all of them, but threw my hands up. But I will say that the best was Frank Sinatra, still swinging in his 70s. The guy was just one cool customer, and he was singing to a huge (and packed) arena. The way it felt was not too different from a concert available on CD - '57 in Concert - except it was many years later.

One of my favorite Sinatra/Rat Pack lines was:

"How did all these people get in my room??"

Not too far behind (ready to roll your eyes?) was Shania Twain - the most energetic show I've ever seen. I think it was that they weren't wasted (or maybe that was me ). They released a DVD of that tour, I think around 1999.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #32

Went to see Grand Funk Railroad and the opening act was Little Eva. You all remember her right! Locomotion
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

First: Santana at the Spectrum in Philadelphia 1972 (as mentioned on the other thread). Probably the loudest concert I've ever been to.

Best: The Police at outdoors Wrigley Field Chicago 2007 (incredible, though Sting's son opened and he was awful, awful, awful), Brian Adams Dallas late 70's (he put on a good show when he first started touring), Jethro Tull Passion Play tour San Antonio mid 70's (magical), The Who 25th anniversary tour outdoors Cleveland 1989, just to name a few that come to mind. No way I could pick one best...

Worst: Phil Collins Richland Coliseum Cleveland mid-80's, I suspect he was probably excellent, but the acoustics where we sat were absolutely awful. Stephen Stills at Purdue University mid 70's, a skuffle broke out in the audience (that probably would have gone unnoticed by 99%) and Stephen threw down his guitar and just went apesh!t, started lecturing the whole crowd and was angry the rest of the night. Get over yourself...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #34

Slight revision, not the worst concert, but by far worst performer, at Survival Sunday with a ton of great acts including the Boss, was Yoko Ono. Oh my, what a wailer, and I don't mean as in Bob Marley & the ...
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

First: Beach Boys. My girlfriend got so excited that she fainted - and got her pic. taken as they carried her out!

Best: Hard to say, but I saw "It's a Beautiful Day," and there were birds flying overhead into the audience...or was it just me?

Worst: Rolling Stones at Altamont. They were so drunk & stoned that they could hardly play. Turned out to be the beginning of the end of my carefree life!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Worst: Rolling Stones at Altamont. They were so drunk & stoned that they could hardly play. Turned out to be the beginning of the end of my carefree life!
antmary, I was there too, up in the front by the stage and a little to the right between the Hell's Angels bus and the fight/stabbing. What a nightmare. That was definitely the worst concert of my life. I thought I would be trampled/smashed/squashed by all those people, and no way to possibly get out. After that, I never again went to a concert without assigned seats.

Mick Jagger scared me silly when he sang Sympathy for the Devil, with that big cape. But he calmed people around me when he said, "Brothers and Sisters! Brothers and sisters..." and whatever else he said trying to get people to calm down when things were getting wildly out of hand.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #37

I don't remember my first concert. But I did see the Beach Boys this summer for their 50th anniversary tour and they still sounded very good. Was great to see the three living original members of the band perform.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Best: Hard to say, but I saw "It's a Beautiful Day," and there were birds flying overhead into the audience...or was it just me?

There should be a thread for concerts you always wanted to see but didn't.
Working on my list. Having trouble with "best".
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #39

First: Jethro Tull - 1971?
Best: This is hard - Ten Years After + Edger Winter 1974 comes to mind.
Worst: Iron Butterfly at a Woodstock reunion concert in CA. They became some Brazilian dance band or something. So disappointing.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe

There should be a thread for concerts you always wanted to see but didn't.
Working on my list. Having trouble with "best".
Highly recommend "It's a Beautiful Day at Carnegie Hall"...