Join Early Retirement Today

First Brand New Car
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First Brand New Car

Our oldest daughter bought her first car today. Even though I have an employee discount, I suggested she buy used. The late model used cars she found were not much cheaper than brand new with our discount and the rebates, so she bought a new Chevy Malibu. GM is wrapping up thier "Presidents Day" promotion, but I was still surprised how busy they were. Her salesman was working three deals at the same time...all Malibus. Looks like she'll get 4.05% for 60 months at her credit union. Always seems odd to me that car loans cost less than mortgages.

I also noticed they have a 5% /5yr CD with only $500 min, so I guess I'll be joining her credit union.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Our oldest daughter bought her first car today. Even though I have an employee discount, I suggested she buy used. The late model used cars she found were not much cheaper than brand new with our discount and the rebates, so she bought a new Chevy Malibu. GM is wrapping up thier "Presidents Day" promotion, but I was still surprised how busy they were. Her salesman was working three deals at the same time...all Malibus. Looks like she'll get 4.05% for 60 months at her credit union. Always seems odd to me that car loans cost less than mortgages.

I also noticed they have a 5% /5yr CD with only $500 min, so I guess I'll be joining her credit union.
Yeah, good rate. Wish I could afford a new Malibu. I could have afforded a couple of dozen 18 months ago.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Quote:
..... Looks like she'll get 4.05% for 60 months at her credit union. Always seems odd to me that car loans cost less than mortgages.

This credit union is borrowing money at 5% for a 5 year term and loaning it back out at 4.05% for a 5 year term?

Hmmmmmm.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

They must be making it up on volume.

-CC
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Can you share which Credit Union this is at? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #6

Sorry....shoulda put that in before........

It's called FedChoice. I know they are open to at least some Federal Gov't employees, but I don't know all the eligibility rules.
www.fedchoice.org
Old 03-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

Wow - they're giving 10% apy for savings accounts good for one year. Plus they've secured their own insurance and have doubled what the FDIC insures up to $500,000.

Interesting.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Wow - they're giving 10% apy for savings accounts good for one year. Plus they've secured their own insurance and have doubled what the FDIC insures up to $500,000.

Interesting.
Uh...I think it's 10% on the 1st $500 only......IOW, a bonus of approx $50
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #9

That web-site just does not look right, first thing they ask for is your SSN and Last Name. Anyone applied recently except OP's daughter? Wonder how a "NCUA" member can "double" the insurance and who stands behind the "extra" $250K (which after 12/31/09 will be an extra $400K) - 22,000 members - pretty small club. Clicked on their "excess insurance" link brings up a "page not found" - wonder why?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #10

Some background on Fedchoice...........
Corridor Inc. - Corridor Finance & Banking: Credit Unions target new customers
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Pretty old article (2 years). Here is what I would look at if I was really interested in putting money in this CU: http://reports.ncua.gov/data/cureports/index.cfm
Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #12

The link did not work. I checked NCUA and looked at something called a 5300 report, but I didn't know what I was looking at. When I googled the artical, I remembered they changed thier name a couple of years ago. They expanded thier focus from IRS employees to all local federal employees. I am pretty comfortable with putting money in there since I don't have any significant money to deposit anyway....maybe just add a tad to the CD ladder. Daughter's loan was approved and my membership app is pending so we'll see how they perform.
National Credit Union Administration - Credit Union Queries
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Sorry about that; I tried it before I left the post but notice this morning it says to start from the main search page (which you have posted).
Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #14

I was 41 before I felt I could afford to buy a new car. I had owned 10 used cars over the years from age 16 to 41. If I had to do it over, I would do the same thing again.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #15

A few years ago I was looking for a used Honda Pilot. I found I could get a new one cheaper than used. Insurance and registration costs are higher of course. Got a left over 2006 when the 2007s were out at invoice -$3000 "Hidden" rebate.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #16

At 60 i just paid cash for my first new car an 08 Toyota Yaris,suppose i could have bought new cars in the past but never liked the idea of making payments and thousands extra in interest on an ever depreciating commodity,so i only ever bought what i could afford which was a lot of $1000 to $5000 beaters.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
so i only ever bought what i could afford which was a lot of $1000 to $5000 beaters.
I wish I did that. I should go back and add up all the wasted money. But I'm sure I'd cry.

Trying to break the cycle now. 2 paid off cars, one with $9K left.

Now if I can only avoid car fever...