Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Learned to drive (operate clutch, shift, gas, etc) on a '48 Willys wagon with the plow down. This was my father's secret plan to get me to do the plowing.

First car driven w/lisence on the road: 64 Chevy Suburban Carryall.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willys.jpg (60.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1964 Chev Suburban-01_jpg.jpg (139.9 KB, 4 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #42

First hoopty.... my '72 malibu. Still have it. I was so proud of the car I thought I would bust. Shoulda started with a beater though. I took care of it, but was still hard on her.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #43

1982 Chevy Blazer (back when you could undo about 20 bolts and make it a convertible, sort of). Brown with a white top. Rolled it down a 30 ft embankment, crushed every single panel, 1/2 of the glass, and flattened all the tires. But, once the tow truck was able to get it back up to the road, we put some air in those tires and drove it home! No frame damage! Of course Dad made me drive it all winter without the glass so I'd be more careful in the future.

I cried like a baby when it threw a rod a couple of years later. Went out with Dad and bought my first and only new car, the 1988 GMC Jimmy, that I put 380k miles on!

I've never felt again about a car the way I felt about the Blazer--it defined me in high school, probably in a way that was not too good for a girl's reputation!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first vehicles were a Honda 65, a Ducatti 250 and a Triumph 500 (1970). My first car was a 1967 Plymouth Fury III, has a 383 and was a great car in a lot of ways.

My wife's first car was a 1961 MGA
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

1st car was an Alfa Romeo spider. Spent lots of hrs driving over Mt Tamiplias at unlawful speeds between my job as a dish washer in Stinson Beach and home. From there moved on to a Puegot 404 and other rides.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Believeor not, a 1975 AMC Gremlin, sunshine yellow, vinyl seats, 3-speed manual no air, hatchback.......

However, it had a 22 gallon fuel tank and got 25 on th highway, so I did a lot of road trips..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Coach beat me to it! My first car was a Corvair too. Not a convertible though; it had an automatic transmission that worked via a little lever on the dash board. Can't remember how many times gas station attendants tried to check my oil under the front hood. I earned the car by babysitting my aunt's cat for a month while she was in Sweden vacationing and buying a Volvo (which I later inherited too).
Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

1970 VW Beetle. Great car. Still miss it.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Apparently we do share a bit of parallel history, eh?

But my Rambler American was not my first regular driver, it was my second. My first was a black & white 1956 Chevy Bel Air two door...

For me 1956 Chevy Bel Air, blue and white, but with very un-cool 4 doors. Belonged to someone in the family who let me have it in 1965.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Out of the Navy and off to work in Santa Fe in a '67 Datsun SPL1600 convertible roadster. Warped the head several times and ended up running two headgaskets. Lotsa fun. 'specially in the New Mexico winters. Did a bunch of driving in full winter garb with ice building up on the plastic rear window. Mine was British racing green.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
For me 1956 Chevy Bel Air, blue and white, but with very un-cool 4 doors. Belonged to someone in the family who let me have it in 1965.
How's this for uncool: My honey's family's car back in 1960. She got good at disconnecting the odometer and had it as a point of honour to get it airborne whenever she drove it. Yeah, the frame was a bit tweaked.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A Nomad! That's so uncool it's cool...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A Nomad! That's so uncool it's cool...
Nah - that would be cool - just doesn't have the new rear door handle in place yet in this shot. it's creeping toward done, one bit of jewelry at a time. '56 chevy 210 4 door wagon.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, Calmloki, Any 55-57 chevy is way cool, even 4 door 210 wagons.... Nice car...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #55

Wow....you guys had some really nice cars....

My 1st was a spankin' brand new bright ORANGE 1972 Chevrolet VEGA GT....and man, did I think that I was cool ...after all, it DID say GT on the side of that aluminum engine piece of crap and it WAS new

Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Wow....you guys had some really nice cars....

My 1st was a spankin' brand new bright ORANGE 1972 Chevrolet VEGA GT....and man, did I think that I was cool ...after all, it DID say GT on the side of that aluminum engine piece of crap and it WAS new
I had a friend who worked in the local Chevy dealer and he told me they had piles of aluminum engine blocks out back from all the warranty work on Vegas. Not the US auto maker's finest hour. But the engine blocks were recyclable!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #57

Don't feel bad, my parents special ordered a "baby s#$% yellow Vega with the wood paneling on the sides. My sister, a teenager at the time, called it the Vegomatic. What a piece of junk. I still give them a tough time about that purchase!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

1962 Ford Falcon, 2 door 3 speed on the column

Quirks, Vacuum windshield wipers noisy and would speed up when you slowed down and slow down when you would speed up. Manual choke.

Also drove a 1951 Plymouth for about 6months until it died and my mother's 1961 Corvair Monza which I wrapped around a tree when I was 15.

2soon
Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Had this for a number of years, almost killed myself in it a couple of times. Really the wrong car for a rookie driver.

Sold it to a guy I worked with that I didnt like. A few months later I found a spare key for it and periodically I'd go out and move it from where he parked it to somewhere else. It bugged him a little bit at first because he thought he was losing his mind. After a while I tried moving it from the north lot to the east lot. He called the cops and reported it stolen, but they 'found' it in the other lot.

After a few more "moves" he figured it out and asked me if I had another key to it. Of Course Not!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang.jpg (26.6 KB, 64 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Some friends and I had an orange Vega GT, that we rebuilt from the ground up with a 454 big block with a dual 4-bbl tunnel ram, and all of the trimmings! Darn thing got lousy mileage! But it made a really quick trip to the gas station!