First Spouses: How are they doing?

Whom would you rate highest as First Spouse?

• Bil CLINTON

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Janet HUCKABEE

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Cindy McCAIN

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Michelle OBAMA

Votes: 27 50.9%

• Total voters

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last night I watched Larry King interview Michelle Obama. She is intelligent, articulate and confident and I'm sure would represent the US very well as First Lady.

In the past week or so there has been a lot of attention in the media to the Billary phenomenon. It's clear that Bill's goal is to become an unelected advisor to Hillary.

Now I don't know much about Cindy McCain or Janet Huckabee. But it got me thinking that the role of First Spouse may need some rethinking for the 21st century. Do you still expect the FS to be simply a gracious hostess with a charitable cause? How much influence should he/she have in policy making?

So, just to make this interesting, let's have a poll on the four potential First Spouses. How do you rank them? Why?

Both my first and second spouses are doing fine, I guess... :D

As for Billary, there are many unelected advisors to the POTUS...

One of McCain and Huckabee's downfalls is nobody knows their spouses well enough...unless they have nothing to say, which, I suspect, is the reason we don't know about them.
I have to say that Obama and his wife have to be the lowest key, calmest couple I've ever seen running. Not voting for him particularly, but I surely do admire their style. I think the other candidates should take a lesson.

Yes. I feel he has done a great deal of good since leaving the White House. He and former President Bush have worked together well.

That's good insight. And I agree, we absolutely must keep Bill and inhabiting the White House in the past tense........ so he can keep up his good work "since leaving the White House."

In general, and IMHO, the first spouse should have zero, nana, no, involvement in running the country. Figurehead only. I know the first spouse will always have some influence on the President, can't be helped. But there should be absolutely zero direct activity involving governing.

Sorry Bill.......

I agree they shouldn't be governing. However , quite a few of the 1st ladies had excellent social programs. I doubt much would change for former President Clinton.

Well, we know a little more about Michelle and Cindy today. Does that help anyone make up their minds? Still a bit undicided here. I bet Michelle will be the most outspoken first spouse, except of course for Bill.

That's good insight. And I agree, we absolutely must keep Bill and inhabiting the White House in the past tense.......

I miss Bill. Remember the Animal House atmosphere in the West Wing?

Have to admit the 90s treated us well. Anyone else see cause and effect operating here?

Ha

Have to admit the 90s treated us well. Anyone else see cause and effect operating here?

Ha

I miss him too. I'd like to hear his saxophone again and to hear the POTUS speak in English instead of some moron dialect.

I like Michelle Obama but I also voted for Bill so what do I know ! I also thought this thread was about first spouses and I was going to say mine is alive and well and living in New Jersey .Thanks for asking .

Ha

Well....... I have fond memories of my own "Animal House" days of excess, debauchery and fun. And I'm glad I have those memories. I just don't think I'd be able to, at my age, do justice to reliving them again. I doubt Bill could either.......

Time for Bill to live the next stage of his life.

Yes. I feel he has done a great deal of good since leaving the White House. He and former President Bush have worked together well.

Everybody kinds of forgets all those pardons at the end of his term to help Hillary get voted into the Senate... and for his political friends for paying money to his library...

They were considered some of the worst in the history of the nation... way out of line....

and I do not forget some of the other things he did that I disagree.... but what the hey... Dems seem to think he can walk on water...

And I will tell you... Obama is from what I can tell a different kind of liberal...

As for first spouses... well, I don't care... I care about the Prez and Vice Prez...

Everybody kinds of forgets all those pardons at the end of his term to help Hillary get voted into the Senate... and for his political friends for paying money to his library...

They were considered some of the worst in the history of the nation... way out of line....

and I do not forget some of the other things he did that I disagree.... but what the hey... Dems seem to think he can walk on water...

And I will tell you... Obama is from what I can tell a different kind of liberal...

As for first spouses... well, I don't care... I care about the Prez and Vice Prez...

I didn't forget anything. He and former President Bush have done a great deal of good since LEAVING office.

While you can bring up many poor decisions that Bill made, including pardons, his weren't close to the "worst in the history of the nation." They're about on par with the Reagan and Bush pardon list. It's amazing what large donations to the [Republican and Democrat] party coffers can do.

Didn't vote in the poll. We're not electing a team. But if we are electing a team, we need all the spouses' lives and backgrounds totally vetted so we can make an informed choice, and we only have that level of information on Bill Clinton (I don't think there are any shocking surprises left when it comes to Bill so I guess I would have voted for him as the devil we know).

I don't think the spouses of candidates need to be put under the microscope like the candidates themselves are.

While you can bring up many poor decisions that Bill made, including pardons, his weren't close to the "worst in the history of the nation." They're about on par with the Reagan and Bush pardon list. It's amazing what large donations to the [Republican and Democrat] party coffers can do.

Not even close to Bill.... he let out terrorists that had killed people... and some didn't get released as they would not agree to admit that what they did was bad...

Yes, I am sure there might be some on the others lists that might be in the 'Rich' (last name, not $$$s) category... but USUALLY they were already arrested, convicted and had served time... (and I have a suspicion that this might be the only one in recent times)....

But since I do not look at the pardons list... I can not say for sure...

Obama's Wife: "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country."

I can't believe she wasn't proud when the US won the cold war, or when she was able to vote for the first time, or when the country came together after 9/11, or the thousands of other unrecorded moments in time during her adult life that helped her get to this point in her life.

Maybe she's the one who told her husband to remove the flag from his lapel.

Her ungratefulness is pathetic.

I would agree with her that there have not been a lot of proud moments over the past twenty years or so. Oh sure, maybe one or two glimmers (which I might have difficulty remembering on the fly), but in general, our country has behaved poorly.

And the stupid American flag pins piss me off to no end. It is cheap, fake patriotism.

Yes, I am sure there might be some on the others lists that might be in the 'Rich' (last name, not $$$s) category... but USUALLY they were already arrested, convicted and had served time... (and I have a suspicion that this might be the only one in recent times)....

But since I do not look at the pardons list... I can not say for sure...

Hey, Libby represented Rich. They have a lot in common...they both didn't serve. One evaded taxes and traded with Iran, and the other lied to the FBI and obstructed justice in the outing of a covert CIA agent.

In fact, Libby is the highest ranking White House official to be convicted since...Iran-Contra. But H. W. Bush pardoned many of those felons. :)

I would agree with her that there have not been a lot of proud moments over the past twenty years or so. Oh sure, maybe one or two glimmers (which I might have difficulty remembering on the fly), but in general, our country has behaved poorly.

And the stupid American flag pins piss me off to no end. It is cheap, fake patriotism.

Wow. It takes courage to say that here. You are correct and I’d add that the mass desecration of the flag by flying it improperly from every sort of vehicle on the road is a disgrace.

30% of American's are obese

20% can't locate the U.S. on a world map

83% can't locate Afghanistan

Average credit card debt: $9,000

Ms. Teen South Carolina

National debt: $9 Trillion

Jay Walking

Killed in Iraq: 85,000

44,000 pages of tax code

41% of 50 year olds have saved less than $25,000 for retirement

---------------

Whether or not you are proud of the U.S., one has to admit that it's reasonable to not be proud of America.

30% of American's are obese

20% can't locate the U.S. on a world map

83% can't locate Afghanistan

Average credit card debt: $9,000

Ms. Teen South Carolina

National debt: $9 Trillion

Jay Walking

Killed in Iraq: 85,000

44,000 pages of tax code

41% of 50 year olds have saved less than $25,000 for retirement

---------------

Whether or not you are proud of the U.S., one has to admit that it's reasonable to not be proud of America.

Hell ya this place sucks! :rant:

Back
Top Bottom