Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #41
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
What I said is the future of eating fish in the World is via farming, not harvesting wild fish.
That sounds quite reasonable. But the farmed ones still taste like crap!

I like wild poultry too. Doesnt taste like wet cotton.
As for you, I suggest that you get your Wild Turkey Permit before Thanksgiving this year. If your lucky enough to bag your bird, you have a lot of fun cleaning it.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 987
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Quote:
I disagree that they way to solve it is to lock out small-time Alaskan operators.
I never said that! - You are overreacting! What I said is the future of eating fish in the World is via farming, not harvesting wild fish. When farming is more efficient than rounding up wild animals it will put commerical fisherman out of business. They will decide to quit on their own because their wild product cannot compete with farm raised.

It's already happening!

Same as farming chickens, hogs, beef and everything else you eat. The writing is on the wall. Why be ignorant of the facts!

I cannot argue with this. And maybe I am overreacting. Places that have already ruined their habitat (e.g. Washington State) have turned to fish farming. And farming already produces cheaper product (although I still maintain it is inferior). The Columbia and it's drainages used to produce 90% of the King Salmon on the west coast. It was mostly dams, not fisherman, that wiped that out.

However, it does not follow from this that all commercial fishermen should be regulated out of existence in areas where things are still working. And fish farming needs to be done in a more responsible manner than it has--which will raise the price. I deplore some commercial fishing--offshore deep-water trawling that plows up the ocean bottom and destroys habitat for example.

The way that this will all happen is through smarter consumers. Aside from the great taste debate, consumers will pay more for cleaner fish, whether farmed, hatchery, or wild.

It seems that buffalo and range-fed beef are making a comeback as well. Or maybe the future is vegetarianism. Frankly, given the global warming and pollutant runoffs into the ocean, maybe the future of ANY kind of seafood is in danger.

__________________

__________________
I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,913
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
What I said is the future of eating fish in the World is via farming, not harvesting wild fish.
That sounds quite reasonable.* But the farmed ones still taste like crap!

I like wild poultry too.* Doesnt taste like wet cotton.
One of the reasons why the flavor is off is the feed.* Salmon are pink because they eat smaller fish.* Feed for farmed salmon isn't the same.* They are pink only because a dye is put in their food prior to harvest.

Wild salmon stop eating as they go up-river to spawn.* One of the reasons why spawning salmon way up-river aren't the best eating is thay have been fasting, and they are tired...

The pressure on the wild fisheries is huge because of the need for human proten around the world.* There are rogue fishing operations that don't care about the long term health of the fisheries.* IF fished can be farmed cheaply at sea in those big-bag nets there is a chance that some of the pressure on wild fish will decrease.*
__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat

The pressure on the wild fisheries is huge because of the need for human proten around the world.*
Finally someone understands! Save a fish, eat a fisherman!

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 987
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat

The pressure on the wild fisheries is huge because of the need for human proten around the world.
Finally someone understands! Save a fish, eat a fisherman!

Ha
lol eat humans--you are what you eat!
__________________
I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

Not gonna do it... :P
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Fish: Wild or Farm?

But I will!!



Maybe later...
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omega 3 Fish Oil Regimen?? FinanceDude Health and Early Retirement 24 12-05-2006 10:14 PM
Roth IRA & Timber Rights/Tree Farm terminator FIRE and Money 6 07-16-2006 04:09 PM
The key to a long, healthy life: "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women" Cool Dood Other topics 0 06-06-2006 05:47 PM
MOVED: Salmon - Wild or Farm? REWahoo FIRE and Money 0 06-03-2006 03:12 AM
Cheap But Good Fish Stew haha Other topics 11 02-23-2005 05:00 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.