Join Early Retirement Today

fixing an old rubber gear; possible?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

fixing an old rubber gear; possible?

I'm trying to keep an old Mouli/Varco mini food chopper/grinder going. I've bought the best modern replacement I can find, but it doesn't chop as finely, nor is it as powerful or elegantly designed (only 2 parts to wash). The part that keeps failing is a rubber gear on the underside of the chopping canister. After 20-30 years the rubber can't take the torsion and rips apart. I've gone through mine, my mom's, and am now on my sister's (all bought at the same time way back when; they hadn't been using theirs, so I snagged them).

I'm wondering if there is a magic epoxy or other substance I can apply to this gear to keep it together? It doesn't look easily removable.

This is the item, though you can't see the underside gear in these pix:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VARCO-ELECTRIC-H...QQcmdZViewItem I have an e-bay notification on it, but since they're all "vintage" they will all run into the same rubber-weakness issue.

Below are my own images (not great). Hope you can make out the crack where the rubber gear joins its rubber base, and in the 2nd image the recessed compression(?)-type recessed fitting (not a screw) to the blade axle. If I WERE able to remove it, does anyone know if I could get a one-off replacement made somewhere?

Seems more likely that there is some product out there I can reinforce it with.. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubbergear.jpg (20.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg rubbernub.jpg (12.5 KB, 79 views)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #2

I had a similar problem with my blender and was able to use epoxy patch to fix it. I have some stuff I used to use for appliance repair. It comes in 2 tubes (an epoxy goo and a catalyst) which you mix on a piece of cardboard with a popsicle stick (or whatever) and then smear on and smooth out. Hardens like cement. Didn't have to disassemble the gear; still holding after several yrs.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I had a similar problem with my blender and was able to use epoxy patch to fix it. I have some stuff I used to use for appliance repair. It comes in 2 tubes (an epoxy goo and a catalyst) which you mix on a piece of cardboard with a popsicle stick (or whatever) and then smear on and smooth out. Hardens like cement. Didn't have to disassemble the gear; still holding after several yrs.
Good possibility it was JB Weld. It has been around forever. Cost is about $4 and can be found in most harware and automotive stores.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

One Offs

It is possible to have a one off made. However, it would be rather pricey. The guy making the thing would charge shop rate, and that part could well take two hours. Depending on who and where, shop rates are about $50.00 +/- per hour.

Is it actually rubber, or more like nylon? Nylon can difficult to get epoxy to stick to. I usually make tiny angled holes in the surface of nylon items prior to applying the epoxy.

I'm the guy with the shop in the back yard that everyone dislikes for runining property values until their favorite whatever breaks. Then they want a freebie because 1) I am retired and have nothing better to do, and they already found out what shop prices are. or 2) When I was not retired, because it is my hobby, it would be fun for me, and they already found out what shop prices are.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I doubt that you will be able to successfully glue this. One option might be to use the old rubber part to mold a new part out of epoxy resin using plaster of paris for the mold. It would be a labor of love.........
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #6

Thanks, guys.. I will look for the JB Weld and/or some kind of epoxy when I next come to the US. Glad to know a similar trick worked for ronin and I can possibly get a few more years out of the thing.

It's definitely rubber, probably designed to have some amortizing effect (on what I'm not sure.. maybe in the case of a hard piece of food sticking on the blade?). It's just lost its elasticity.

Since it's broken already I don't have much to lose. It's just sad to throw out a second and third perfectly good item (motor/housing, etc.) for the lack of this one vital element. I wouldn't be so attached to it if I hadn't bought a modern version that is a mere shadow.

Annoying: topheavy, futzy cover plate between the motor and canister (3rd piece to wash), doesn't chop as well. The cover plate has funny little protruding transparent Lexan clips that in the course of sporadic use over 9 months have all broken off (into the food; found three first - bit into the fourth). Oy! The other designs I checked out seemed even worse, with a bigger footprint, things you have to twist and lock, etc.

Old one: throw stuff in and push down. Why mess with a good design? If the rubber thing were replaceable my old one would last a lifetime. (Oops! Answered my own question! )

limpid lizard.. you should open a real shop! $50/hour (or $40, or $30) ain't bad for having fun.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I would guess that the problem is really corrosion in the bearing from washing it.
You could tear one of your junkers apart and check.
If that's the case, buy one on ebay that works, and just wipe out the half with the bearing. Don't soak it.
I have an old GE food processor from the '60's that is still going strong. I never wash the shaft assembly, just wipe with a damp cloth.f
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote