Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I looked at my radio and it is made by Baygen. After searching for a current source it looks like it way have been discontinued. A newer model may be available but it looks like there is a battery included now. Here is a You tube clip that shows the radio I have:
Thanks for looking that up for me.

I went to Amazon to check out emergency radios. I'll need to do some more research, but this one jumped out at me because of the multi-function to USB connector thingie.

Anybody out there own of these ?

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weathe...ustomerReviews

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #62
Administrator

Freebird, I have that weather radio and like it a lot. The shortwave has been pretty useless so far, for whatever reasons, except out in the countryside. All the other functions work as one might hope. I haven't had to use it to charge my cell phone yet, but I checked and the connector is the right size. It was nice to have this weather radio during a recent power outage (that only lasted a few hours).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Freebird, I have that weather radio and like it a lot. The shortwave has been pretty useless so far, for whatever reasons, but all the other functions work as one might hope. I haven't had to use it to charge my cell phone yet, but I checked and the connector is the right size. It was nice to have this weather radio during a recent power outage (that only lasted a few hours).
Very cool !

I have an old fashioned gas powered Sears generator outside under my porch, and the house wired properly, but it is often pretty you-know-what-in' cold up here. If we were to lose power, it would probably due to a tremendous ice or snow storm with high winds.

I want something to be able to use quickly and for a little while until I muster the courage to go outside and pull the starter rope on the generator.
Plus if I run out of gasoline, this would suffice to keep us in contact with the world.

Mr B is able bodied, but with his heart situation, the last thing I want him doing is being out in the cold trying to get that generator started for us.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #64
Administrator

Good thinking. I think you would probably like this radio as much as I do (and if not, Amazon is pretty good about returns). It seems tough and reliable to me. I also listen to it while plugged in, on normal non-stormy days when I have power, just as a regular radio. Not for audiophiles but it is fine for my purposes as long as I shut off the plasma TV to cut down on interference on some bands.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
How sound is perceived can get real complicated real fast.
Anyway, as most people know vegetation of almost any type goes a long way toward muffling sound. So does directing the sound upward when that is possible or as you found by moving away from the direct emission of the sound in your neighbor's garage.
That's true. Having the enclosure around the generator really does decrease the sound over at the neighbor's. And probably part of the reason their little generator sounds so loud is that it only runs when the power is out. It's amazing how much ambient white noise there is in a house when the refrigerator, AC, radio, etc. are running. When all those are off, any sound seems louder.

Our 25kW generator is so quiet from inside our house that I have an alarm set on my cell phone to remind me to check and see if it's exercising (test run every week for 12 minutes). The alarm says "Check and see if gennie is exercising", and got me in a little hot water when DW picked up the phone one Friday. We had an attractive neighbor 2 doors down named Jennifer at the time. I'm not sure if DW bought my explanation, but I was actually innocent that time.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We had an attractive neighbor 2 doors down named Jennifer at the time. I'm not sure if DW bought my explanation, but I was actually innocent that time.
Sure..., sure...,
Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

We had an attractive neighbor 2 doors down named Jennifer at the time. I'm not sure if DW bought my explanation, but I was actually innocent that time.
Having 867-5309 on speed dial is a dead give away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app