Join Early Retirement Today

Flat Tire Today
Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Flat Tire Today

Thought I'd go through my entire life without having a flat tire while driving.

No so. Ran over a giant pothole. Heard a loud bang, then hiss of air leaking. Busted the sidewall. Good thing my car had a spare.

Weather was warm enough so I tried out all the emergency tools and managed to change to tire myself before going to a shop for a new tire.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bummer! Glad you had a spare and were able to safely install it.

Remember the "good old days" when folks used to strap an extra spare tire or two (either on the roof or on the trunk lid) for long trips? That's how common tire failures used to be.

omni

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thought I'd go through my entire life without having a flat tire while driving.

Good thing my car had a spare.

Weather was warm enough so I tried out all the emergency tools and managed to change to tire myself before going to a shop for a new tire.
You are lucky you have a spare. I bought a Hyundai and had a flat in my driveway. I looked for the spare and there was none! I found out they give you a tire inflator and a box of sealant. BUT it doesn't work with a sidewall rupture!
I went on line and bought the spare package which consisted of the spare tire. jack and lug wrench!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was able to pull into a strip mall and find a couple of open parking spaces to do the tire change. I already knew just the car tire was a sidewall burst. Had a chance to put all my emergency tools to use (Impact wrench to easily remove lug nuts, digital torque wrench to put the doughnut on so I could go to a car shop and get a new tire).
Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Wow, I’m impressed. You just happened to have a torque wrench with you? Were you an Eagle Scout?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know where we're picking them up but every few years we get a slow leak caused by a nail or screw that's large enough to go through the tread.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Wow, Iím impressed. You just happened to have a torque wrench with you? Were you an Eagle Scout?
I have an in case get stranded emergency toolbox that I keep in my car's cago area. No Eagle Scout. But do believe in the right tool for the job. The emergency bottle of water did come in handy too
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I was able to pull into a strip mall and find a couple of open parking spaces to do the tire change. I already knew just the car tire was a sidewall burst. Had a chance to put all my emergency tools to use (Impact wrench to easily remove lug nuts, digital torque wrench to put the doughnut on so I could go to a car shop and get a new tire).
Hmmm... Wonder if I should get an electric impact wrench to keep with my RV. The lug nuts are torqued a lot higher than those of normal passenger cars.

I can run the wrench with the installed 2kW inverter. That's easier than carrying my existing pneumatic impact wrench, which needs a compressor.

Or I can take along a small air tank, which can be filled up using the 12V emergency compressor. This small compressor is powerful enough to pump RV tires, but the air tank is needed as an accumulator to supply the air volume to work the wrench.

I have seen many class A owners carrying a mid-sized 115V compressor in the storage bay. My class C does not have much storage room.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One should also have a pair of cheap work gloves in the emergency kit. Keeps one's hands from getting all dirty handling the tires.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I carry a gorilla wrench or a breaker bar in all my cars, since the manufacturer supplied wrench typically is about useless to loosen lug nuts put on by shops. I also carry a 12 volt compressor and a tire gauge.

I also carry triangle reflectors. Really handy if you break down on the highway at night.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:13 AM   #11

So many cars today, including econoboxes, have low profile, high performance tires. Unfortunately potholes eat such tires, and replacement tires are very expensive.

2 of our family cars with low profile tires don't hold air well, and I have to air them up every 10 days. And the tire life is very short.

My new hybrid has normal sidewall tires, and my tire problems appear solved.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
So many cars today, including econoboxes, have low profile, high performance tires. Unfortunately potholes eat such tires, and replacement tires are very expensive.

2 of our family cars with low profile tires don't hold air well, and I have to air them up every 10 days. And the tire life is very short.

My new hybrid has normal sidewall tires, and my tire problems appear solved.
+1
Have low profile, run flat, high performance tires with no spares in the car.
The run flat concept has not been tested yet in 6 years.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Haven't changed a tire in years. I could do it if I had to but would probably call AAA if not in a hurry. Just bought some new tires last week btw....
Old 05-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Another choice for my RV is a torque multiplier. I am seriously considering getting one.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #15

DW blew both tires on the left side of the car. Only thing I can figure is she was on a freeway under repair and drove almost 30 min on a section that had a warning groove. I figured that weakend the tires on the left and an hour later the tires blew.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Haven't changed a tire in years. I could do it if I had to but would probably call AAA if not in a hurry. Just bought some new tires last week btw....
Oh, I thought about calling AAA. But figured, I could use the practice and had all the tools with me.

Plus, was a nice day (though did get a bit warm with the noon sun shining down).

My strategy is if safe area (out of traffic, decent neighborhood) and not too crappy weather, I change tire. Otherwise, AAA. Don't know what was faster, as took me over 2 hrs. Longest time was fiddling with the scissors jack and I need a better air inflator.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #17

I ruined a tire last week. Hit a pothole. Michelin tire from Costco.

Changed the tire (first time in years). Took the damaged tire/rim to Costco.
The replaced the tire overnight. Their road hazard warranty meant that I had I only paid $35 for the $215. tire. Fortunately they had a replacement. We only buy tires from Costco.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have not had to replace tires on the road for many years. But with the RV, waiting for help on the Alcan highway may take a while.

It is dangerous to jack up even a class C, depending on the ground support. So, I may not do it even if I have the tools.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Some here who have not replaced a tire must not have a trailer....

My boat tires were crap.... when I first bought the boat used I lost a tire going to the lake... but had a spare... then lost another time coming back from the lake .... no spare... we are talking about the tire blowing up, not just having a puncture...

SOO, bought two new tires... a few years later have another blown tire.... with LOTS of tread...

Finally bought some more expensive tires that have a higher load range which can be driven at a higher speed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #20

My new (used) car doesn't have a spare or a jack...it just has a compressor and a can of sealant, so I use the winter tire as a spare and bought an inexpensive scissor jack.

As to changing tires...I have plenty of experience as I swap winter and summer tires on 5 or 6 vehicles twice a year.

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote