Join Early Retirement Today

Flight Reservations
Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Flight Reservations

I'm plan on flying in a couple of months to attend a wedding. Is there a best site to go and get best deals on flights or are they pretty much the same? That is, if I compare shopped with all the travel sites, do then pretty much end up all taking me to the same price? Also, is it worth trying to time it to see if prices go down soon or not? thx

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try kayak.com. It will look up numerous airline and other sites and give you all the available deals. farecompare.com is similar, so is fly.com

Go to the nytimes.com site and search for the frugal traveler column. He has dedicated a couple of columns to just this topic.

All the best.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If a low-cost carrier happens to fly between your origin/destination airports, then you may have to go to their own websites and search in addition to an aggregator website like travelocity or expedia (or kayak??). I'm thinking Jetblue, Southwest, Spirit, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been poking around some. Found a place called Farecast (now it's Bing travel) that gives tips as to if it's a time to wait, or buy depending on the price trend. Interesting.

How to Find Cheap Airfares - Best Time to Buy Tickets - Bing Travel
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I usually use Kayak and then go to the individual sites as their prices are slightly cheaper but lately I've been flying Southwest (no luggage charge & non stop to where I want to go )
Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recommend always checking the major airline sites (not just the low cost carriers) themselves that are big in your departure and/or destination cities. Occasionally, you still find deals that the consolidated sites don't have.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

I travel a lot. 140,000 miles last year. Kayak is always my first stop, but a lot depends on the nature of the flight . For some reason Expedia sometimes does a much better job on multi-city trips and Lufthansa sometimes has fares that don't get passed through to Kayak. Sometimes the cheapest flight is to book United on the Lufthansa website.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Kayak.com
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #9

I also use farecompare to search for interesting fares (change your departure city)
Cheapest Flights from Atlanta - FareCompare.com - Airfare Comparison Engine
Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I fly a lot both domestic and internationally and try to stick to AA and their partners since I have status but will occasionally go to other carriers. When I do I check Kayak and Orbitz both as they will often give different options and prices especially traveling internationally, mixing and matching carriers for the best price. Then I always check the airlines website as they do sometimes have even better options and prices.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I fly predominantly with two airlines and am on their email lists. I get to hear about their best offers that way. Last week I booked an executive class fare for less than the price of economy. And that's for my vacation!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No matter which site you end up using, book now. Don't wait.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I went ahead and booked my flight. I booked through Orbitz (they are part of Discovercard's 5% cashbook partner too). I used Bingtravel. It was funny and nerve wracking, seeing the prices go up then down. When I got the most recent 'buy' tip from Bing, I just went ahead and booked the flight.