Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post

I was referring to the laminated flooring which has some type of wood composite substrate like particleboard, MDF, etc. Engineered wood floors are a major step up but also can be problematic when it comes to refinishing. The wood veneer face of engineered flooring is typically only 1/16" to 1/8" thick and some can be thinner than that. Not a lot of wood left to sand and easier to gouge through the face and expose the wood substrate underneath. Before buying, find out how thick the face veneer is and find out what species of wood is used for the substrate. A good, dense species used for the substrate will help prevent dings and gouges. And I would definitely opt for American made engineered flooring vs a lot of the stuff I see coming in from China. There is some good stuff from China but also a lot of crap.

For my own home, I would use solid hardwood flooring if I planned on living there for many years and use engineered flooring if I intended to sell within 5 years or so.

When we bought our engineered wood we researched the refinishing and found that it could be refinished one time. That didn't bother me because we were getting handscraped wood and normally you don't refinish that since it destroys the handscraping.

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #42
Both homes have hardwoods in main living areas, kitchen's etc. Bedrooms have mostly carpet but one master has hardwood. All bathrooms are tile...non slip type.

FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #43
Our 195? home has beautiful oak floors. We refinished those when we moved in. That covers the living room and hall. Carpet in the bedrooms and basement. Tile in kitchen, bathrooms, and downstairs.

For everything there is a place and a purpose.

I guess you could say we are flooring agnostic.
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm 55 so I agree with the other 'youngsters' that hardwood is the way to go, both for beauty and easy of cleaning. Unless it's a rental unit, in which case I'd go with laminate and avoid water damage. As a plus, there would be no quibbling with tenants over whether spots on the carpet 'were there before I moved in!'
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
We put in Pergo laminate flooring in the public areas like the kitchen, family room, and living room. It holds up better against things that would scratch a true hardwood floor, plus it was pretty inexpensive to install. It doesn't like water, and the area under the dish washer is slightly buckled.

We have large throw rugs in the living room and family room. We have wall-to-wall carpeting in all bedrooms. We have tile in the master bath and vinyl flooring in the hall bath.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain
Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #46
We had carpeting in our house, but got tired of it since we have 5 cats. We tore up the carpeting several years ago and just had the tile floors that were underneath. Thanks heavens, we did not do anything else, because when our DD and her family moved back with us, they had an Old English Sheepdog puppy, that liked to eat things and a cat. Our house is back to DH and I and it is time to remodel. Our floor tiles from the 60's had asbestos in them. We had an asbestos inspector out and he sent them to a lab to be tested. We are sending out a form and the material from the Asbestos Inspector and lab asking for a release to let us do the abatement process ourselves. We are hoping to get the approval and after we have removed it, then we are having hardwood floors installed on our main living floors including 3 bedrooms. We are not having the 2 bathrooms done. If we do not get permission, then we are going to have the engineered hardwood floors put down. Our downstairs is carpeted and the bathroom has ceramic tile. The cats are not allowed down there.

Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote