Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks everyone. I was almost sure what the consensus was going to be. Really wanted confirmation of how I felt. Spend the money go hardwood forget the laminate which is what I will do. I should have asked if DIY or professional installation was better. I think I will just bite the bullet and get some professional installed flooring.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

I put Bruce Dundee strip in our family room and our bedroom. It is a 3/4 inch prefinished oak floor. DIY is not hard to do with these floors if you decide to go that way. You will need a electric chop (or miter) saw. I used a hand saw for the family room and the electric miter saw for the bedroom. Guess which one I did first? I would also recommend an air assisted nailer for the work. On the family room I used a nailer that was activated by how hard you hit the nailer. It takes a lot longer to hand drive the nail after you didn't hit the nailer hard enough because you were tired. The pneumatic nailer works fine every time. It took me a weekend to do the bedroom.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Thanks everyone. I was almost sure what the consensus was going to be. Really wanted confirmation of how I felt. Spend the money go hardwood forget the laminate which is what I will do. I should have asked if DIY or professional installation was better. I think I will just bite the bullet and get some professional installed flooring.
It can be done DIY, but you'll need to rent a few specialized tools (normally I buy all my tools but not if I only going to use them once every 20 or so years)...I finally decided by the time I bought all the wood, rented all the equipment, etc it was cheaper to have it done by the pro's.

It came out to about $8/sf *installed* for solid oak hardwood floor with 3 coats of poly...I honestly don't think I could have done it cheaper myself and they did it in about 6 hours (with 2 more days of 45minutes to recoat).
Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I prefer "engineered" wood flooring over laminates. A laminate is basically a picture of wood glued to MDF. Engineered flooring is a real wood veneer glued to MDF and finished with a tough ceramic coating.
I'm with twaddle on this one. Kids wanted laminate (pergo) in their bedrooms. I just couldn't get past the artificial look of it (OK, I am a snob about some things).

Found an 'engineered' product at IKEA. Pretty cheap, and about 3/16" of birch over the MDF substrate. All pre-finished. Tight fit, it was kind of a pain to install. Looks good, but not as flat or as solid feeling as 3/4 hardwood.

We have 3/4" T&G red oak in several rooms downstairs. Night and day difference, but this engineered stuff was pretty good for an older kids room. Personally, unless you are really good, I would leave the sand/staining of a hardwood floor to the pros. The experience pays off in getting a nice even finish w/o hills/valleys. I don't think they charge all that much compared to the cost renting the sander, and of a substandard finish on all that expensive hardwood.

Just my 2 cents. - ERD50
Old 09-05-2007, 12:35 AM   #25

Go with the real thing! And I second the opinions for hiring the pros. Get 'er done!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #26

My older (circa 1950) home came with hardwood throughout. Resurfaced them about 8 years ago. Still looking great!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Engineered wood flooring is the best route, imho. Laminates like "pergo" feel like teflon and look fake. Engineered planks are tongue and grooved with a factory finish. Find the color and finish you like and it installs as easy as Pergo, but it is real wood.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #28

Being frugal, I bought used maple flooring that came out of a school that was built in 1936. It cost $1/sf and the pieces were up to 14' in length. Used a drum sander to level the wood and to strip the old wax build-up. Then used a large floor model pad sander with finer grit. Floor has been down for 15 years without refinishing. Still looks and feels great. I imagine I will probably refinish it in another 10 years. Real wood can be refinished many times.