Join Early Retirement Today

Florida Drivers
Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Administrator

Florida Drivers

What is it about Florida and bad drivers? Sometimes I think bad driving skills are a prerequisite to permanent residency down here. I've driven in many countries and spent more time behind the wheel in Latin America than the US, but no place I've ever driven is as bad.

Part rant, part wondering.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worse than DC where drivers are from "everywhere else"?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for making me worry about my trip to Florida next month. I'll be driving in Florida for the first time.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Florida has the worst drivers in the world . One reason is because it has the oldest drivers and then it has the oldest drivers after they have indulged in two for one martinis . The second reason is in the winter we get all the visitors who live in farm country so they put on their blinker and turn left in front of three lanes of traffic . The third reason is we have visitors who are used to driving on the other side of the road and that adds to the mix . Add in teenagers who are texting and you have the perfect storm of bad driving . When I was working at the surgery center I took a patient out to the front area to wait for his ride and the wife who did not drive a lot just missed hitting us as she approached the covered area . Another time a patient told me her husband had Alzheimer's but he still drove she just gave him directions .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
gone traveling

Dave Barry one descibed the problem with Florida's drivers as being ~ "the result of a diverse population of people from many different nations, all obeying the traffic laws and driving customs of their home countries."~
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #6

My grandmother, who retired to Lauderhill, near Fort Lauderdale, had given up her license due to failing eyesight, so she relied on her neighbor, another elderly lady, for rides.

She told me about the last time she rode with Leona:
"I thought she had just driven through a red light, so I tried to be diplomatic and asked her "What color was that light we just went through?"
Leona replied "What light?"
Old 01-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have live here for the past 35 years and it seems to just get a bit worse each year. I seem to have adjusted to it, however, now being semiretired I try to avoid the rush hour traffic. It really should be an easy place to drive. Everything is flat and most streets go north/south or east/west. No snow or ice but we can get some flash flooding after a heavy rain. We do have quite a few cars on the road with drivers of all back rounds and ages.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you live in Florida and have white hair, it is your God-given right to back out of any driveway or parking spot without looking.

I live in central Florida.....and people here are very serious about their God-given rights.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At least there ARE traffic lights in FL, unlike in the country where I live. We play a modified game of "chicken" at the 4 way stop signs. I usually win.

I drove in FL 3x last year and had no trouble at all.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Where I live in north Florida ( near I-75 and I-10 ) we get tourists from all states passing through to the south. Many are from the big cities up north and used to a different kind of driving ( city driving). Add to that mix the older crowd , truckers and teenagers and you see all kinds of different driving. During the holidays I never get near the interstate but take back roads.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote