Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'll let Jimbo clarify, but I think what they did was redomicile to FL but they forgot or conveniently forgot to notify tax state that they no longer qualified for the homestead benefit in tax state and continued to get it and tax state later came after them for state income taxes for the years that they continued to get the homestead benefit.

It sounds like Fl does check to see if you have a homestead exemption in another state before giving you a homestead exemption in FL.
You are correct! They "conveniently forgot" they were already receiving the tax savings in their tax State. The tax State makes no indication on the real estate tax bill that they are receiving a reduction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
When establishing residency, it's important not only to create your new domicile (license, registrations, declaration of domicile) but also to sever your former state ties. States look at things like bank accounts, storage units, real property ownership (even rental property), church membership, bank lock boxes, and relatives in the former state to prove residency. And they are winning in court.

Many states are aggressively targeting those they suspect of "moving" to states that are more income tax friendly. The desire (read: greed) for income tax revenue in some states is very strong.
I've read similar things, too. Especially regarding people who move out of tax heavy states (like California) to tax friendly states (like Nevada) before selling company stock or other investments that would be subject to state tax.

The articles I've read said to sever everything COMPLETELY in the tax state. No property, no vehicle registrations, no drivers licenses, no bank accounts, no safety deposit boxes, no memberships of any kind, no visits to doctors there, no PO boxes, etc. Anything and everything needs to go, and be re-established in the new state.

I wonder how the tax state would know about certain things, though, like storage units. How would they know about something like that? I guess the states have their hand in everything nowadays.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo125 View Post
...The tax State makes no indication on the real estate tax bill that they are receiving a reduction.
If they are not already doing so, perhaps they should mention this in their defense, though from what you have said they would be toast if I were the judge.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo125 View Post
You are correct! They "conveniently forgot" they were already receiving the tax savings in their tax State. The tax State makes no indication on the real estate tax bill that they are receiving a reduction.
Got it, thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
...The articles I've read said to sever everything COMPLETELY in the tax state. No property, no vehicle registrations, no drivers licenses, no bank accounts, no safety deposit boxes, no memberships of any kind, no visits to doctors there, no PO boxes, etc. Anything and everything needs to go, and be re-established in the new state.....
While I agree that is ideal, in many cases it is not practical. Many people want to be snowbirds and spend summers in their home state and winters in a warmer climate. They just need to move as much as possible to new state and sever ties with home state as much as possible.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Your situation is a bit different since you want to change residency after July 2015.

We used 2 different addresses in a temporary living situation (that lasted 3 years with a lot of travel). We used friend's address (in the Tax state we had been living until then) for car insurance, registration, health insurance and tax stuff. But an out-of-state family address for banks, CCs and all other stuff.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
I'm still not getting this. Was it because they had homestead exemptions in both places? Are you saying that FL checks with Tax State to see if the homestead exemption is still on the local property? We are planning to pre-apply for FL homestead exemption as of January 1 and have asked the Tax State assessor to remove the homestead exemption on that house as of January 1. We will have all the other FL pre-requisites (driver's licenses, auto registration, voter registration, utility bills, deed, etc.) when we apply.
I know they check whether or not you are receiving homestead exemption in another state. We actually had to get a letter/email from the county tax office in GA stating that we did not have the homestead exemption on our old primary home.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I know they check whether or not you are receiving homestead exemption in another state. We actually had to get a letter/email from the county tax office in GA stating that we did not have the homestead exemption on our old primary home.
Interesting, it looks like it might vary by county whether they require proof the other exemption was dropped. Brevard County's website says, "If the taxpayer owns property in any other State or Country, a letter from the appropriate agency verifying that the taxpayer does not receive benefits based on permanent residency in that jurisdiction." The county where I'm applying has nothing similar listed in its requirements. I'll know for sure in about a week.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Interesting, it looks like it might vary by county whether they require proof the other exemption was dropped. Brevard County's website says, "If the taxpayer owns property in any other State or Country, a letter from the appropriate agency verifying that the taxpayer does not receive benefits based on permanent residency in that jurisdiction." The county where I'm applying has nothing similar listed in its requirements. I'll know for sure in about a week.
FL Dept Rev - Property Tax Exemptions and Discounts

I guess they will just ask you if the property was sold the date it was sold.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
OK, an update. We gave the county (Indian River) all the documentation they asked for and I asked about the rest of the process. The woman told me they would go through the application and look at everything and also check to see if the previous address still had the homestead exemption (we still own it). I pulled out the letter I had from the tax state (county) assessor which told me the exemption would be removed as of a certain date and she thought that would suffice. So, while they do not state they require this information, they do go about getting it themselves apparently. Maybe they have more time than other places to follow up.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If they are not already doing so, perhaps they should mention this in their defense, though from what you have said they would be toast if I were the judge.
No need to sugar coat it. They're crooks, plain and simple.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, Florida driver's license question...

I've started the mail service (Traveling Mailbox) and when I changed my first address with my Fidelity accounts, their screen read "The US Postal Service cannot identify your address or a similar standard address". Ultimately I was able to submit the address change with Fidelity but when I inquired with TM they said not to worry; when I asked about the Florida driver's license they said the TM address cannot be used to establish residency; when I said that would be my only address starting next year they punted telling me to inquire with the FL DMV.

Anyone have or know anyone who has applied for a FL DL using one of these virtual addresses? My address is 75 N. Woodward Ave., #83[xxx], Tallahassee, FL 32313.