Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok, not to politicize this thread but I think I'm hearing:
Glue some lucky charms cereal to a strip of duct tape, expose it to radioactive material. Invite a neocon, and a liberal to a Chinese dinner and watch the flys die of boredom while they fight like cats and dogs.

Zat bout rite.

OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
I like to sit around my house with a pair of chopsticks and an elderly Japanese man who teaches me Karate. It worked in The Karate Kid.

Daniel Larusso: Hey, wouldn't a flyswatter be quicker?
Miyagi: Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything.
Toshiro Mifune did this is one of the origianl samurai movies. I tried ot for a while but had to give up due to lack of success.

haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
Originally Posted by hogtied View Post
Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive electronic swatter that fries the fly as you swing at it in the air. Of course you have to hit it. Swatter looks like a tennis racket.

These are excellent and cheap ($2.99 on sale). They use 2 D batteries. You don't squash the insects, just push the button and make contact with the pest - ZAP! Also great (cheap) entertainment for kids. They like zapping mosquitoes and gnats. Makes a nice snap and spark.
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #24
What does a fried fly taste like? Anyone brave enough to try one?
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #25
I use the vacuum cleaner hose attachment on wasps all the time.

I've also found flyswatters very effective against spiders, roaches, and cave crickets.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #26
Oh my gosh! When I read this post I thought I wouldn't say how I caught them, myself, until I read MickeyD's post. I, too, can catch them mid-air. TOTALLY grosses my son out to watch his mother kill flies and other bugs that way. What the heck? I wash my hands thoroughly afterward. I take it as a testament that I still have quick eye to hand skills...that will go soon, probably.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #27
My husband is the fly-catcher as well - "Honey, there's a fly" - he catches and releases outside - amazing hand-eye coordination to watch.
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #28
Deserat, that makes me laugh, my husband can't catch them in mid-air, but any bug he does capture in a cup or paper is released outside. It is like living with Gandhi!

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote