Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't flown since 2000 and cannot envision a need to ever fly again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why fly? Apart from the ability to get to places not otherwise accessible......The romance of flying. That's why.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I still fly when I can since for most of the trips I take it is still faster and cheaper than driving.

I did chuckle at the flight map. I was recently flying into Atlanta after a big storm delay and they were landing them 4 wide and about a minute apart to make up time. Our plane had to cut across three lanes of landing traffic to get to the terminal. I've flown for a long time and have seen a lot, but that was an adventure.

I look forward to flying only to fun places!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #24

Liked to fly prior to 9-11, not so much after.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #25

Lets see, things I don't miss about flying

Airline tickets that can't be transferred to family members
Extra fees to not sit in a middle seat or choose an assigned seat
Idiots in seat in front slamming their seat back without checking first to see if anyone's knees are in the way
Seat width designed for anorexic teens
Extra fees to check baggage
Morons walking down the aisle with too much carry-on luggage, including a shoulder bag hanging to one side knocking everyone already seated in the head.
Not enough little dinky bathrooms
Rude passengers that try to claw their way ahead of others to get off the plane more quickly after landing
Clueless counter agents unable to make simple changes
Airlines posting flight arrival times with 60 minute fudge factors, even after the plane has departed.
Airports with no place to wait and traffic police everywhere with attitudes
Not being able to lock luggage anymore
Inexperienced parents, traveling with young kids, who thought it a good idea to keep them up late the night before, thinking it would help them sleep during the flight.

And to top it all off, TSA
Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #26

I'm not afraid of flying and I don't hate it, I just dislike it a lot. I'll do it when I have to, like to see DH's family 1500 miles away. We drove the trip many times until gas prices made it almost as expensive as flying when you add in the overnight stays and meals.

If gas was cheap enough I almost would rather do the drive.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I haven't flown since 2000 and cannot envision a need to ever fly again.
I have not flown since 2003, and retired in 2004. I have decided there is enough to see in the Continental US, and driving does allow one to see more that suburban strips. A month ago I went from Tx to my High School Reunion in MI, and drove up along the Mississippi north of St Louis which was scenic.
In june I spent 1.5 weeks driving around Utah and Colorado. The way I look at it retirement means far fewer time constraints, (like the number of vacation days). Further I try to limit myself to a max of 400 or so miles a day.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I fly for business, and try to fly as little as possible. I even commute by car a 700 miles round trip each week, rather than put up with the nonsense involved with air travel these days.

I realized quite a while ago that driving 5 1/2 hours took approximately the same amount of time as it takes to drive to the airport, get through security, take a 1 hour flight, then take a second car or taxi to the office. Driving also allows me to make my own schedule, not worry about cancelled/delayed flights, nor deal with the TSA, and is cheaper, even including wear and tear on the car. (Not sure if it is when you included wear and tear on the body, but such is life).

DW flies regularly to visit DD, SIL and grandbaby who live 1000 miles away. Last trip took 21 hours due to weather delays, flight cancellations due to mechanical problems, etc. My last trip to London took 28 hours due to 4 plans in a row having mechanical problems. Doesn't build much confidence (although, I must admit that I'd rather have mechanical problems discovered while the plane is still on the ground)

I'm not a fan of air travel anymore, and that is one of the major things I'm looking forward to when I retire - NOT having to fly anywhere.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #29

Probably average once a month over the course of a year. Occasionally I fly internationally for work. DW and I fly a lot to visit family, since we live on one coast and family is on the other. And we fly for fun trips too... when you're still working, you gotta try to make the most of long weekends!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Flying isn't as much fun as it used to be, but I still find it amazing to board a plane and in a relatively short amount of time, find myself on the other side of the country or other side of the world. That's especially nice in the middle of winter at home. Flying has allowed me to see some magnificent and fascinating places on our planet.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Because it's the only way to explore this amazing world we live in! Never to see places like Costa Rica, New Zealand, China and even Hawaii would be a terrible loss IMHO.

I HATE to fly, BTW, but I love to travel. When I lamented this to my doctor, she prescribed an anti-anxiety pill to take when I fly. It puts me right to sleep, and leaves me relaxed for several hours after I wake up prior to landing.

Next up: Ecuador in December, followed by Peru in 2014, then France and Spain in 2015.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #32

I knew I was over flying when a cheery flight attendant approached me in my coach seat with yet another upgrade to first class, and I declined. After thousands of flights and a steadily declining experience level, I have returned to the road for the great majority of my business trips. DW still likes her vacations so I suck it up and fly but only to get the most out of my time off. I do not see any flights all once I pull the plug and retire.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Flying to me is a fact of life . My daughter lives in New York State while I live in Florida so I fly to visit her & my grandchildren . I also fly to visit my Mom in Pa..and then we fly for vacations so it is just a fact of my life right now. I can not say I enjoy it . I just accept it .
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #34

I was on a flight to New York during which the attendant kept us entertained. I only remember one, and it was on landing. She said:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to tell you that the captain has located an airport. When he lands, check the overhead bin, the seat pocket in front of you, and the pockets of nearby passengers for your personal possesions."

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #35

I used to really enjoy flying, and I used to fly A LOT in the last 11 years of my career. It got old after flying 2-6 times per week for over half the weeks of the year. Since ER in December, we've had exactly one round trip flight, to Hawaii, for DD's university graduation. Next year is our 30th anniversary and DW wants to see the tulip fields just outside of Amsterdam. And, I doubt we'll ever go more than a year without going to Hawaii, so that is probably on the radar for next year.

Tomorrow we are heading out to Utah to visit our son, by car. 800 miles worth broken into 2 days. When we get tire of that (my guess will be 4-5 nights) we'll head to Arizona to visit my sister. We'll stay 3-4 nights, then head home. Total time on the road:12-14 days. But, we will only stay in hotels 3 nights, and we'll take our pups. Flying to do all of that would cost a lot more and be much more irritating. Every once in a while I reminisce and want to fly off somewhere, but I think once or twice a year will be about all the frustration I can enjoy... R
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm not a fan of flying. My last one was 10 years ago. My niece is getting married next summer in Ireland. Wouldn't mind seeing the country, but not sure if I'm gonna make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You could get there by boat, but it would be way more expensive unless it was a transatlantic repositioning cruise.

We went to Ireland this via boat. We sailed out on the Queen Elizabeth for $700 and back on the Queen Mary for $1,100. From England we hired a car and took a ferry over to Ireland, but you could also go by train and ferry to Dublin.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #37

Hate flying, will not do it if I have any choice.
Looking forward to traveling across the US in my Tesla starting next summer though
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Loved flying when younger. Perhaps that explains everything.

DH and i spent our 30th anniversary sleeping in Atlanta airport on chairs with BEWARE OF SUSPICIOUS PERSONS. WATCH YOUR BELONGINGS. etc blaring on the intercom...not a 30 minute late flight, rather hours that messed up a lot. We are flying in two weeks and i will hope for. but not expect, decent flights. Flight times have changed twice since making reservations.

THIS:
Lets see, things I don't miss about flying

Airline tickets that can't be transferred to family members
Extra fees to not sit in a middle seat or choose an assigned seat
Idiots in seat in front slamming their seat back without checking first to see if anyone's knees are in the way
Seat width designed for anorexic teens
Extra fees to check baggage
Morons walking down the aisle with too much carry-on luggage, including a shoulder bag hanging to one side knocking everyone already seated in the head.
Not enough little dinky bathrooms
Rude passengers that try to claw their way ahead of others to get off the plane more quickly after landing
Clueless counter agents unable to make simple changes
Airlines posting flight arrival times with 60 minute fudge factors, even after the plane has departed.
Airports with no place to wait and traffic police everywhere with attitudes
Not being able to lock luggage anymore
Inexperienced parents, traveling with young kids, who thought it a good idea to keep them up late the night before, thinking it would help them sleep during the flight.

And to top it all off, TSA
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I was on a flight to New York during which the attendant kept us entertained. I only remember one, and it was on landing. She said:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to tell you that the captain has located an airport. When he lands, check the overhead bin, the seat pocket in front of you, and the pockets of nearby passengers for your personal possesions."
I actually had that happen. I came back from the restroom once on a flight and the person next to me had taken the book I left in my seat and put it in with her possessions. It was an old, out of print book, low odds she would have had the same book especially considering mine was missing, so I asked her if that book was really hers, and she said no and gave it back. She didn't offer any explanation of why she took it in the first place. Most people would have at least said something like I'm sorry I didn't realize it was yours or it fell on the floor and I picked it up.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was on a flight last week and realized that I have lived my life at precisely the right time. The female flight attendants have been of an age to seem attractive to me throughout my entire adult life. A young man flying today might see them as too old.