Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for that. BIL has had 3. First was a single engine(Piper), not sure of the model. His DW was afraid of the singe engine, so he bought a twin. She still didn't want to fly. He hated the cost of the twin, had told me he felt much safer in the single. So eventually he ended up with a '47 Cub. He loves it, after looking at some photos I have to find out if his is the 'Lock Haven' yellow.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fly frequently to Europe. Rather not take a boat.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #63

I fly for business about 2-3 times per year and so does my wife for her j*b. We also fly for most of our annual vacations including two kids because its fast and time is money and we can't afford to waste 3-4 extra days driving. While there are inconveniences with flying as other posters have pointed out, I have managed how to minimize them for me and have " got a system down". Plus I hate to drive even worse. Too many idiots on the road. I'll take my shoes off for TSA any day over worrying about distracted drivers who are texting while speeding.

I usually fly SOuthwest and am near the first to board and I definitely use my drink tickets. Redbull and vodka will make you forget about the people around you, especially paired with your iPhone and some earbuds.

Now if I had a much larger NW I would just become a NetJets member!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Fly frequently to Europe. Rather not take a boat.
One of my bucket list items for my ER vacations is to travel to Europe via a transatlantic ship crossing as was once common for the likes of the Vanderbilt's in the Gilded Age.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I dislike flying intensely. I am afraid of every bump and jostle. I do it nonetheless when I need to, but I really try to avoid it.

The last time I flew anywhere was when we went on vacation to England 2 years ago. As we were flying back and I was nervous about every little bump, I told DH I didn't want to ever do it again unless I really had to.

During most of the last 20 years, DH and I have gone on driving vacations. When I was still working full-time I sometimes had to travel a lot. I still remember the year that I had to Salt Lake City 7 times.

During the last 15 years or so I was working I made it clear I didn't want to travel unless absolutely necessary. Any trip that was within a couple of hundred miles I would drive to.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
One of my bucket list items for my ER vacations is to travel to Europe via a transatlantic ship crossing as was once common for the likes of the Vanderbilt's in the Gilded Age.
Definitely on our bucket list. We have some time limitations right now so will have to wait, but I did check it out. Little pricey but what got me was the one way ticket on the plane for the other leg was same as a round trip! That'd be hard to stomach!

As for disliking flying re. the bumps and so forth...xanax is your friend!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Fly? Why not when it beats swimming across the ponds?

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote