Join Early Retirement Today

Fly?.. Why?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Fly?.. Why?

After flying regularly on business, I have not flown since 1986. I don't hope or expect to fly again.
But the skys are crowded as seen in this flight map (scan the world for flights in the air at this very moment) Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Do you fly? If so, why? How often?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

'Cause it is easier than swimming? We go to awesome places that are far away!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4-5x a year; all international last two years. DD and DS live abroad so no real choice; I am NOT a fan but have no choice. Every time I fly I remember doing it for work, at least now it's a choice if not forced.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
+1

Last year we didn't fly at all, drove over 8,000 miles in the US instead. However, this is unusual for us. This year we will have flown 3 return flights.

Next year we will be flying to Australia, plus internal flights while there.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Faster, too. Especially when you're hauling a yellow school bus.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Depends... Still a w*rking stiff, so trips of any distance require the speed of air travel. For instance, when I drive to the old hometown in Indiana, it's 14 hours or so, one way. So for a weekend visit, I spend more time driving than being there. A flight is two hours, plus overhead. In two hours, I would almost be to Texarkana if driving; i.e. still have 700 miles left...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't fly as much as I used to when working (I had 10-12 business trips annually in recent years). However, I still fly for personal reasons: to visit family on other continents, and to vacation. During 2013 my flights were from Canada to (and within) Hawaii and (upcoming) to Mexico. Two trips, total of 11 takeoffs and landings. In the next couple of years I expect to fly to Europe and Australia. (It's a long way to swim.....)

I enjoy aviation videos and museums and flying, though I am a nervous Nellie when it comes to severe turbulence!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I hate flying and I try to avoid it whenever possible. Sometimes though there are no good alternatives. When going to visit my family in Europe from the West Coast, air travel is a necessary evil.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a fan of flying. My last one was 10 years ago. My niece is getting married next summer in Ireland. Wouldn't mind seeing the country, but not sure if I'm gonna make it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have flown over 4,000,000 miles with one airline alone. Several years ago I was their best customer. I assume because of this, they treat me better than the average flyer. No complaints from here.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

About 6 times a year. Once a year to USVI, the rest to Vegas. Flying does get tiring, but it sure as hell beats driving 1500 miles one way, or getting on a boat to get to USVI.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not a fan of flying, which could be a retirement issue since there are a handful of places overseas I'd like to eventually see. I'm thinking that if we can rack up enough savings before pulling the plug, we'll splurge and go business class for the far away places and make the whole experience more enjoyable. Then we'll stick to driving around the US. At least that's the plan for now.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I have flown over 4,000,000 miles with one airline alone. Several years ago I was their best customer. I assume because of this, they treat me better than the average flyer. No complaints from here.
Is that you, George?

George Clooney in Up in the Air | Trailer & Official Movie Site
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm not a fan of flying. My last one was 10 years ago. My niece is getting married next summer in Ireland. Wouldn't mind seeing the country, but not sure if I'm gonna make it.
You could get there by boat, but it would be way more expensive unless it was a transatlantic repositioning cruise.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Used to fly at least three out of four weeks each month. Sometimes to three different cities in a week. Since ER maybe five times a year max. Have a lot better approach to flying now that I'm not on deadlines, etc.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You beat me to it!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I hate flying and I try to avoid it whenever possible. Sometimes though there are no good alternatives.
+1

I used to LOVE flying more than almost anybody, back in the 1950's and 1960's. But, times have changed and I do not feel the passenger experience now is at all comparable to what it was back then.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hate flying, but like everyone else, I do it when I want/need to get somewhere quickly (or it was for work).

We fly if we are going to Europe (leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks in England, Ireland, and Scotland ). I also usually fly down to see my daughter in VA twice a year. This year I had more time (being recently retired) and decided to take the train for a new experience. Takes a heck of a lot longer, but I enjoyed the ability to stretch out, walk around, plug in my computer, pack and eat my own lunch, etc, etc. But, if I was still working, I would not have taken the extra days down and day back for the train....

Going forward, 99% of our US trips will be in the motorhome. Flying is definitely quicker but that is the only plus I can see. Now that we are not in a rush anymore, I plan to take all the time in the world to enjoy "getting there".
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
After flying regularly on business, I have not flown since 1986. I don't hope or expect to fly again.
But the skys are crowded as seen in this flight map (scan the world for flights in the air at this very moment) Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

We have started taking more driving trips since we don't have jobs with set hours. Before we always had limited vacation time so we didn't want to waste it on long car trips.

Driving more has really reduced our travel budget. Now we just fly for places like Hawaii and Europe.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Made exactly two business flights in a 25-year career. I actually like road trips, but due to health reasons, haven't been travelling much at all since ER. Looking forward to lots more once recovered.