Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by manerac View Post
The lawsuit brought by egg-producing states was dismissed this week. So egg prices will no doubt go up for Californians. But will producers in other states invest $100's of millions to upgrade to CA spec's and pass the cost on to everyone, or will they pull out of CA causing supply to rise and price to fall in other states? I care less about the price of eggs than the precedent of any state, and that state in particular, using the courts to impose its whims on the country.
I'm not sure why this is a problem. If CA wants different standards for eggs sold in their state, everyone else is free to adjust or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Of course, I defy anyone to look at an egg and tell me how many square inches the cage was that held the chicken that laid it.
I know nothing about chicken farming but my nephew grew 150 chickens as part of FFA this summer. I think he said in industrial farming each chicken is allocated 1 sq ft (they are kept in a big pen). For his project he gave each chicken a *supergenerous* 2 sq/ft. However even at 2 sq/ft a few of his chickens were bullied and had bald spots on the back of their heads from other chickens pecking at them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I'm not sure why this is a problem. If CA wants different standards for eggs sold in their state, everyone else is free to adjust or not.
California is regulating interstate commerce. It is true that if the federal courts allow this to happen it becomes an individual decision as to whether to sell into the California market.

Quote:
I know nothing about chicken farming but my nephew grew 150 chickens as part of FFA this summer. I think he said in industrial farming each chicken is allocated 1 sq ft (they are kept in a big pen). For his project he gave each chicken a *supergenerous* 2 sq/ft. However even at 2 sq/ft a few of his chickens were bullied and had bald spots on the back of their heads from other chickens pecking at them.
Real people that keep chickens do it the way your nephew did it. Commercially, chickens are kept in individual cages to prevent the situation you mentioned. The current size of cages don't give the chicken much room to do anything but eat and lay eggs.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I am a carnivore, I am willing to pay a bit more to reduce cruelty to animals. The question is where to draw the line, and I am not an expert in animal farming.

So, I do not how to take side.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Here is a third reason to avoid it: health

Foie Gras, for 2 oz, has 250 cal, 220 cal from fat, 24g of fat, 7g of sat fat, 210mg of cholesterol, 410mg of sodium
Yes, but wash it down with a nice red wine and it all gets cancelled out.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
California is regulating interstate commerce. It is true that if the federal courts allow this to happen it becomes an individual decision as to whether to sell into the California market.
Very interesting. I had not thought that putting requirements on products sold within your own state would count as regulating interstate commerce.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
While I am a carnivore, I am willing to pay a bit more to reduce cruelty to animals. The question is where to draw the line, and I am not an expert in animal farming.

We need to become a vegetarian ....

On California's "unique" requirements, they all add up to the cost of living in CA. At some point, it will all add up to be too much even for the Californians. When sales tax goes over 10% (now it is mostly in 9.5% range), it's time to go live in another state ...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
We need to become a vegetarian ....

On California's "unique" requirements, they all add up to the cost of living in CA. At some point, it will all add up to be too much even for the Californians. When sales tax goes over 10% (now it is mostly in 9.5% range), it's time to go live in another state ...
It has been my opinion that the typical Californian thinks what goes on in the state - taxes, strange laws, social practices - are normal. If they question these, the next level of their defense mechanism is that the weather justifies putting up with everything.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
You have it easy. Nova Scotians pay 10% sales tax. Tax on restaurant meals was 15%. Other provinces had similar taxes. But oh, the health care is "free".
Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We watched a a Rick Steve's episode where the geese happily waddled up to the feeding tube, and then waddled off, and spent most of the day browsing in fields like open range birds.
Replace "geese" with "large people", and that would fit with the last cruise I was on, hehe!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

+1
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sure that a slight amendment to CA's anti-bullying law will rectify this situation.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yuck, liver. You can have it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

You don't save up all those tree rat livers and grind them into a fine paste and serve them to your in-laws with crackers?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You don't save up all those tree rat livers and grind them into a fine paste and serve them to your in-laws with crackers?
Nope. That stuff stays in the woods for the coyotes.

Believe it or not, a really old, Appalachian delicacy is squirrel brains. Since there is some evidence it can cause a BCE-type disease (mad squirrel disease?), I have never been remotely tempted to try it.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Umm... Squirrel liver. Could start a new fad using that, and call it "Foie Maigre" ("Lean Liver").
Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Ain't nothing lean about squirrel, at least where I hunt. In another month the ones I harvest will be so fat that skinning them resembles helping them out of a santa suit.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

OK. It is then the "Other Foie Gras", or "Wood Foie Gras", or

May need a focus group to find a good euphemism before the product launch.

PS. I am curious now if it tastes "nutty", compared to poultry liver.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Well, get a shotgun and head into the woods and you can find out.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nope. That stuff stays in the woods for the coyotes.

Believe it or not, a really old, Appalachian delicacy is squirrel brains. Since there is some evidence it can cause a BCE-type disease (mad squirrel disease?), I have never been remotely tempted to try it.
Sure is, I'd never tried it but to many folks where I grew up it is a delicacy.
I mean if you have a choice between scrapple or mad squirrel brains what would you do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Sure is, I'd never tried it but to many folks where I grew up it is a delicacy.
I mean if you have a choice between scrapple or mad squirrel brains what would you do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Boil up some beans, probably.

- Will Rogers