Foie Gras

While I am a carnivore, I am willing to pay a bit more to reduce cruelty to animals. The question is where to draw the line, and I am not an expert in animal farming.

So, I do not how to take side.

We need to become a vegetarian ....

On California's "unique" requirements, they all add up to the cost of living in CA. At some point, it will all add up to be too much even for the Californians. When sales tax goes over 10% (now it is mostly in 9.5% range), it's time to go live in another state ... :mad::(

We need to become a vegetarian ....

On California's "unique" requirements, they all add up to the cost of living in CA. At some point, it will all add up to be too much even for the Californians. When sales tax goes over 10% (now it is mostly in 9.5% range), it's time to go live in another state ... :mad::(
It has been my opinion that the typical Californian thinks what goes on in the state - taxes, strange laws, social practices - are normal. If they question these, the next level of their defense mechanism is that the weather justifies putting up with everything.

You have it easy. Nova Scotians pay 10% sales tax. Tax on restaurant meals was 15%. Other provinces had similar taxes. But oh, the health care is "free". :)

We watched a a Rick Steve's episode where the geese happily waddled up to the feeding tube, and then waddled off, and spent most of the day browsing in fields like open range birds.
Replace "geese" with "large people", and that would fit with the last cruise I was on, hehe!

While I am a carnivore, I am willing to pay a bit more to reduce cruelty to animals. The question is where to draw the line, and I am not an expert in animal farming.

So, I do not how to take side.

+1

I know nothing about chicken farming but my nephew grew 150 chickens as part of FFA this summer. I think he said in industrial farming each chicken is allocated 1 sq ft (they are kept in a big pen). For his project he gave each chicken a *supergenerous* 2 sq/ft. However even at 2 sq/ft a few of his chickens were bullied and had bald spots on the back of their heads from other chickens pecking at them.

I'm sure that a slight amendment to CA's anti-bullying law will rectify this situation.

You don't save up all those tree rat livers and grind them into a fine paste and serve them to your in-laws with crackers?

You don't save up all those tree rat livers and grind them into a fine paste and serve them to your in-laws with crackers?

Nope. That stuff stays in the woods for the coyotes.

Believe it or not, a really old, Appalachian delicacy is squirrel brains. Since there is some evidence it can cause a BCE-type disease (mad squirrel disease?), I have never been remotely tempted to try it.

Umm... Squirrel liver. Could start a new fad using that, and call it "Foie Maigre" ("Lean Liver").

Ain't nothing lean about squirrel, at least where I hunt. In another month the ones I harvest will be so fat that skinning them resembles helping them out of a santa suit.

OK. It is then the "Other Foie Gras", or "Wood Foie Gras", or :confused:

May need a focus group to find a good euphemism before the product launch.

PS. I am curious now if it tastes "nutty", compared to poultry liver.

Well, get a shotgun and head into the woods and you can find out.

Nope. That stuff stays in the woods for the coyotes.

Believe it or not, a really old, Appalachian delicacy is squirrel brains. Since there is some evidence it can cause a BCE-type disease (mad squirrel disease?), I have never been remotely tempted to try it.

Sure is, I'd never tried it but to many folks where I grew up it is a delicacy.
I mean if you have a choice between scrapple or mad squirrel brains what would you do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Sure is, I'd never tried it but to many folks where I grew up it is a delicacy.
I mean if you have a choice between scrapple or mad squirrel brains what would you do?

Boil up some beans, probably.

Never had scrapple, nor heard of it, so I had to look it up. Wikipedia says it's a popular rural food in the Atlantic states, and can be found in supermarkets.

Next time I am to the east coast, will be sure to try some. Seems a lot more appetizing than squirrel brains, mad or sane.

I see the ruling as the first step of the radical vegans to outlaw all animal products. Then, we can worry about the angst and pain the carrot feels when yanked out of ground, scrubbed vigorously and chopped into slices. :cool:

I see the recent downturn in the market as a total collapse of our financial system

Never had scrapple, nor heard of it, so I had to look it up. Wikipedia says it's a popular rural food in the Atlantic states, and can be found in supermarkets.

Next time I am to the east coast, will be sure to try some. Seems a lot more appetizing than squirrel brains, mad or sane.

Well, you just missed the big festival up the road about 30 miles. Apple Scrapple Festival - Bridgeville, Delaware

I'd probably go with scrapple, myself. I've eaten it and survived. But I'm with Brewer, boil up some beans.

Oh, humans can eat a lot of stuff and survive. The question is whether one would enjoy the "stuff", and that is highly subjective. Scrapple has lots of lard, and should be as popular as bacon, no?

FIL/MIL loved it. They used it as a side dish with breakfast, like sausage. I always eat anything someone cooked for me so had to try it, not bad. Maybe not as great as fish eggs, but not bad.

Back
Top Bottom