Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Food!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Dude! BUM, your posting with your new avatar is positively synergistic! And to think, a big Beavis and Butthead fan missed the FIRE! pun!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Th, I sent the link to my DW. She email's me back:

"?"

Gotta include a little context next time. Thanks for the tip!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, emailing your wife photos of knives...well...maybe better than a prenup...

For $20 its almost a WTF. Saw a similar chicago cutlery set that included some crappy steak knives on overstock for $60, got 5* ratings there, although I dont trust overstock ratings as much as other sites.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
AIYEEE!* We'll never teach you about that LBYM thing, will we?

Best bet?* Find yourself a nice single santoku knife that isnt overpriced, and a small parer/boner (no jokes please) and leave it at that.* Those are the only two knives I ever use.

I have one like this, although its a henckels and I only paid $18 for it on a crazy sale at penneys.

Best knife I've ever owned, and after the first time my wife used it, she hasnt picked up another one either.
I'm hearing that music from "Fatal Attraction"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Confession...I do that, but I dont use a straw...

Actually I have one of those bag sealer things.* Got it on one of those auction sites...I think ubid?* Black and decker.* Completely sucks at sucking, but it will take most of the air out of a bag and its worth 10x the cost for sealing chip and cereal bags or frozen food bags that werent equipped with a zipper.*
* * I will say the B&W has something going for it .. the bags are a better quality than the ones that they sell for my Deni sealer.* (picked up the B&W bags in a pinch at WalMart).* My deni isn't great at the vacuum part either, but for resealing those chip bags, it's teriffic.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Never made my own bags...well I did once and said "thats a pain in the butt!" But the resealer function has paid for itself 10x over since I bought this and i'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I save more than $39 in chips and cereal alone a year that dont go stale on me.
You guys actually have food stay in the house long enough to risk going stale?

Gabe'll be all over that problem in about five years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Not before, but the model changed. Because I can close up a bag we have about 6 boxes of cereal, 4 kinds of crackers and several kinds of chips. They'll last a year in a resealed bag, about a month in a bag with a 'chip clip' on them.

Frozen stuff that can be resealed also lasts a lot longer. We've got bags of frozen berries and veggies and can pick handfuls from those and reseal...no freezer burn.

Point well taken though. I ate like 10 people when I was a kid and it wasnt until I was 27 that I could get my weight to stay over 185lbs. Ok that probably doesnt sound very impressive to you stick people, but the girls in the office used to joke that I must have to use safety pins to hold my pants to my shirt as I had no hips at all when I was under 185.