Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Food 911!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Strapped to your backside.* Use both hands to look for it.* My wife says I cant find it even if I use both, but luckily, she's able to locate it for me.
Usually with her foot?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How did you know?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #23

Quote:
How did you know?*
If she has seen your avatars recently, I have no doubt that her foot has found a new permanent home.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 02-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Eh, she isnt the jealous/threatened type. Worst thing I've heard her say is "Meh...if I was 20, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, didnt eat, had a boob job, and had my own personal trainer, dietician and the dedicated hair and makeup person...I'd look better than that!"

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #25

Quote:
"Meh...if I was 20, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, didnt eat, had a boob job, and had my own personal trainer, dietician and the dedicated hair and makeup person...I'd look better than that!"

Heck all those things could probably make that rhino look good.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Heck all those things could probably make that rhino look good.
Moi? Butt I already look hot! No need for personal trainers and such.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Eh, she isnt the jealous/threatened type.* Worst thing I've heard her say is "Meh...if I was 20, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, didnt eat, had a boob job, and had my own personal trainer, dietician and the dedicated hair and makeup person...I'd look better than that!"
Funny thing is, my better half is the same way...to a degree. *She'll point out all the work other women have had done and then proceed to tell me that much of what the plastic surgeon gave them could have been achieved through a disciplined program of diet and exercise. *She gets some sort of vindication out of the TV shows and magazines that show movie stars without their makeup (click on the following and you'll see some scary stuff):

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celeb.html
Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Did you use a 5lb hammer or one of those sissy pink handled jobs?

I also hope to god you salted the steaks, else you sent your guests home with a lesser experience...
Yes, Kosher salt was in the mix as well. The steaks had a nice crust on them, and were quite juicy and tender. The guests brought a magnificent potato dish, cubed potatoes, oil, and and a packet of french onion soup mix, baked. Perfect combination!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Outstanding!

Where do we send the bill for custom cooking consulting?

I'm staring at a lone rib eye sitting on the counter...

I might have to go to an old ... I think its argentinian ... recipe that I used to use a lot years ago but not lately. Its a nice change of pace though, odd as it is.

Get a squeeze bottle, the usual mustard/ketchup type. Cup of warm water, 3 tablespoons of salt and a tablespoon of cayenne pepper go in. Shake and squirt on the steaks, let stand a few minutes and then put them on the grill. Once, maybe twice, maybe three times if you like spicy, spritz the steaks with more of the salt/cayenne/water mix. Let stand 5 minutes, slice thinly and serve on big thin slices of soft white bread or middle eastern style flatbread to soak up the juice.

This sounds stupidly simple. But the results are almost magical.

Dont do this with some ridiculously expensive steak...try it with top sirloin you can get on sale for under $5 a lb. Dont over or undercook it, shoot for medium---medium-rare. But it does work fine with NY strips and other boneless, lower fat steaks. The best is skirt if you can get it...flank also works if you dont go past medium rare and cut thinly on the bias against the grain.

Although if I get skirt steak, I usually like a 20 minute marinade of lime juice and cumin with a little olive oil, and for flank a one hour marinade thats a 50/50 mix of honey and soy sauce, with a little garlic thrown in. Salt and pepper and throw on the grill to medium rare. Cut on the bias.

Real easy stuff.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

This is the type of stuff I hope we can get into once DW stays home. Right now it's plop down on the couch and argue over who's turn it is to order pizza!

On a side note, we were rushed for time so we bought dessert from costco, the chocolate lover's delight cake(?). Wonderful, I must get it out of my house!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote