Join Early Retirement Today

Food 911!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Food 911!

O.K., we are having friends over to celebrate the start of the summer outdoor grilling season here in S.D.

But I have a dilemma, I bought some NY Steaks from COSTCO to grill up, but I'm not sure how to season them! I need some quick tips from all you culinary masters. CFB, you mentioned something last time about cracked peppercorns, but I can't find that thread. Thanks much all!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Food 911!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
O.K., we are having friends over to celebrate the start of the summer outdoor grilling season here in S.D.*

But I have a dilemma, I bought some NY Steaks from COSTCO to grill up, but I'm not sure how to season them!* I need some quick tips from all you culinary masters.* CFB, you mentioned something last time about cracked peppercorns, but I can't find that thread.* Thanks much all!
First of all, I am jealous of your weather. My olive oil was congealed this morning, sitting on the kitchen counter.

I am not expert, but I cook these steaks frequently. The key is fast and hot and short. I use just salt and coarsely gound peppercorns on both sides. When I take them off the grill, put a pat of butter on top. Very coarse peppercorns="steak au poivre." But my grinder has its limits, so I usually am not that coarse.

Enjoy!

HA

Old 02-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First choice: *http://buttrub.com/

If not available McCormick has a line called GrillMates and a flavor called Montreal Steak that is acceptable. *Nothing special. but it would work in a true 911 situation *
Old 02-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I got the montreal, the fire will be hot, thank you!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

See what happens when I go out of town for the afternoon?

I like a little kosher salt, a little crushed pepper, and some chopped garlic. "marinade" in this wet rub for half an hour, then get em on the grill.

For a true steak au poivre, you have to use a hot skillet. Crush a buttload of pepper (dont worry, the cooking process cools the heat). About 2 tablespoons. Put them inside two ziploc bags and crush them with a hammer or a heavy skillet if you dont have a good grinder or mortar and pestle. Coat and press into the steaks.

Melt a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil in the hot skillet over medium heat. Cook steaks 4 minutes on a side for medium rare. Set aside on a plate covered with foil.

Remove from heat, drain any excessive fat and add about 1/3 of a cup of cognac and light it on fire with a long match. When the flames go out, return to the medium heat and add a half cup of heavy cream. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen up and incorporate the fond. Add one or two extra teaspoons of cognac, throw the steaks back in, turn to coat, and serve.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Fulla BS
For a true steak au poivre, you have to use a hot skillet.* Crush a buttload of pepper (dont worry, the cooking process cools the heat).*
HONEY!* HONEY!* Where do you keep the butt load measuring thingy
Old 02-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
O.K., we are having friends over to celebrate the start of the summer outdoor grilling season here in S.D.

But I have a dilemma, I bought some NY Steaks from COSTCO to grill up, but I'm not sure how to season them! I need some quick tips from all you culinary masters. CFB, you mentioned something last time about cracked peppercorns, but I can't find that thread. Thanks much all!
L: The SO says "kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.." I don't cook, but that's a entirely different thread.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
HONEY! HONEY! Where do you keep the butt load measuring thingy
Strapped to your backside. Use both hands to look for it. My wife says I cant find it even if I use both, but luckily, she's able to locate it for me.

Basically with steak au poivre, the amount that will stick to the meat is the limiting factor...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
L: The SO says "kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.." I don't cook, but that's a entirely different thread.
Don't think you should use salt until after the meat has been grilled. Salt increases the loss of liquid while grilling and tends to dry the meat.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thats actually an urban myth! Someone did a grilloff with salted and unsalted meat and the results were that the salted meat actually weighed more after the grilling indicating that it held onto its moisture better. Salting (at least modestly) also helps circulate the seasoning through the meat. I dont put any on steaks destined to people on salt limited diets or that dont like salt, but I put a good sprinkle on everyone elses and the reports so far have been good.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

"Myth #6

You shouldn’t salt meat before cooking it.

This is so far from the truth that you’d need the Hubble telescope to find reality. Taste tests by reputable culinary organizations have demonstrated that meat salted prior to cooking tastes better than meat salted afterward. Every chef in the world seasons his proteins prior to cooking. And forget that collateral myth that you will leach the moisture out of the meat. Yeah, if you dump the whole jar of salt on it and let it rest overnight. But there’s no way any appreciable moisture loss will occur with a normal amount of salt sprinkled on just before cooking. Oh and by the way, recent research is also dispelling the myth that salt causes high blood pressure. "
Old 02-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Thats actually an urban myth! Someone did a grilloff...
You think I'm gonna buy unsubstantiated poo-pooing of my long-held cooking beliefs by a guy named Completely Fulla BS without saying "show me the facts"? :

What's the source for your myth #6 quote?

Old 02-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The same source that I use to measure pepper with.

Actually
http://www.ahherald.com/food/2005/ft...king_myths.htm

Every chef on every cooking show i've seen on the food tv network also goes this route.

Cooks magazine did the "weight test" between two identical steaks, in a sequence of tests...but you need a subscription to read their articles.

The science behind it is that not only does the salt not stay on the surface long enough to draw out internal moisture, any moisture it does draw out at the surface causes a delicious 'crust' to form that one often gets at a steak restaurant that uses far higher heat broilers than one can usually get at home. Further, any salt that does 'get into' the meat holds excess moisture. Look at the brining process for pork, brisket and poultry that helps the meat absorb more water and hold it.

Try it yourself. Sprinkle one steak with a half teaspoon or so of salt, one without. Grill both. Look 'em over and taste them. You might prefer the unsalted one for some reason, like your tastebuds dont work or somethin'
Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, the old "you need a subscription" trick... :P

I get most of my salt on the rim of a marguerita!! 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Look 'em over and taste them. You might prefer the unsalted one for some reason, like your tastebuds dont work or somethin'
Where's that damn Karma button...

Old 02-26-2006, 08:20 PM   #16

Laurence,

Wether you do this for the company or some other time...give it a go!

Go with the montreal or other salt based dry rub... dont use too much but pat it into both sides of the steaks (optional [do it]- butter both sides esp. if the steaks are really lean) Using a hot grill surface place the steaks on the HOT grill at a 45 degree angle. Flip them quickly for rare, wait a few minutes for more well done. Picture grilling the steaks in the position of an X on the both sides. This means grilling both sides twice. The grill marks will look like diamonds...just like a fancy steak house. Everybody say "How'd you do that?"

This (secret?) old receipe was from the Brighton Steak House in Atlantic City. Of course they used a 32-40something ounce Porterhouse.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Where's that damn Karma button...
Why I'd LOVE some good karma from you for helping you dispell a myth thats kept you from enjoying a properly seasoned steak all these years!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all the input guys, guests just left, the steaks were a big hit. The Cabernet was flowing so all I can tell you at this point is there was some peppercorn in a ziplock bag, beaten by a hammer involved, butter, oil, garlic, searing on the grill, and rave reviews by the guests. 5 lbs. of NY steak gone in a flash!

Old 02-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Did you use a 5lb hammer or one of those sissy pink handled jobs?

I also hope to god you salted the steaks, else you sent your guests home with a lesser experience...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Cabernet was flowing so all I can tell you at this point is there was some peppercorn in a ziplock bag, beaten by a hammer involved, butter, oil, garlic, searing on the grill, and rave reviews by the guests.* *
And there were steaks involved, too... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote