Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Where do you shop for food?
So, where do YOU shop? Costco? How does one buy for two persons at Costco? Whole Foods?

Slow day... waiting for time change and the promised 32 degree temperature.
We have a great farmers market in Atlanta. Get 99% of our meat there and
all of our fresh veggies.
Aldi's and Target make up the rest of the food budget. Have only been to
a supermarket once or twice since retiring 2 yrs ago. the prices are way
to high.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
........ I've also started buying my husband's OTC allergy medicine (although you need to hand over your drivers license) Claritin D at Costco. I was buying it at Walmart for $18.99 but Costco has it for $14.49. ........
Costco has a Kirkland generic equivalent for Claritin D that is only about $6 for same dosage / number of tablets.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Costco and Trader Joes mostly. The regular Kroger market for the things we can't get at the previous two. Farmers markets in the spring and summer for fresh local veggies
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Costco has a Kirkland generic equivalent for Claritin D that is only about $6 for same dosage / number of tablets.
Costco charges $4.69 for 600 tabs of the generic equivalent of Benedryl. We picked up a bottle for dear FIL.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We shop at Sam's Club, Wal-Mart and Kroger. I used to shop frequently at Aldi's. I would drive past it when going to and from work from my career job. I do not go very often now, as it is on the other side of town, about 5 1/2 miles away. I will probably go once every month or two, after the weather gets better. I don't think I have been there since fall. I liked shopping there, but would always need to stop at another store on the way home. I buy certain things at Wal-Mart, and try to stock up, so that I don't have to go there as often.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

HEB (major Texas grocery chain) and Costco, with very occasional stops at a Sprouts and an oriental market.

We buy quite a few groceries online - some from Amazon and a few specialty Internet food suppliers.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #47

Love Aldis. I stop there first and what I can't find there I then get at SuperTarget. The Aldi in my area has a growing selection of organic foods (although, so far, not milk or meat, both of which I get at SuperTarget). I've been very pleased with Aldi's paper products such as paper towels, garbage bags, baggies, etc.--far less expensive and better than a lot of national brands.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Costco charges $4.69 for 600 tabs of the generic equivalent of Benedryl. We picked up a bottle for dear FIL.
Wow, that's great and I use Benadryl/Generic. I have good luck with generic brands but my husband doesn't. Wonder if it has to do with our different body chemistry's, chemical makeup of drug or just mind game.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I have good luck with generic brands but my husband doesn't. Wonder if it has to do with our different body chemistry's, chemical makeup of drug or just mind game.
If it is a particular generic drug, it might be body chemistry. If it is all generics, it's in his mind.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Wow, at that price, carry extras to hand out to noisy children sitting near you on your next flight.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Wow, at that price, carry extras to hand out to noisy children sitting near you on your next flight.
+1
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #53

Sprouts, local produce store, Costco, Trader Joe's, Safeway and Lucky
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #54

I have their brand of ibuprofen (750 tablets) that cost me $6.45. I may take one or two tablets out if it every couple of months...
Old 03-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

90% Costco and the other 10% between WM and Albertson's. We joined Costco 8 months ago when I retired. Hopefully, it's saving us money. To busy in retirement to do the analysis.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
90% Costco and the other 10% between WM and Albertson's. We joined Costco 8 months ago when I retired. Hopefully, it's saving us money. To busy in retirement to do the analysis.
We save money shopping at Costco if we don't buy too much of the processed food. Our local Costco has a lot of organic, whole foods. But if we just go around loading up the cart with anything and everything that looks interesting we spend too much. We have to go with a list of meat and staples and stick to it.

Our Costco isn't the cheapest on fresh produce. The ethnic and regional ware house stores are much cheaper for fruits and vegs.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #57

We mix it up between Costco, Food Lion, Walmart, Safeway, Weis, Giant, Giant Eagle, Dollar Tree, CVS, and Wegmans, depending on the sales and coupons. DW is a hawk with the circulars and coupons, and in addition has tied in many of our shopping cards with a service that gives us additional coupons/discounts. While nothing like "extreme couponing", at times we've gotten large discounts off of our bill.

Giant Eagle has a nice tie-in with a gas station, where you can get gallon discounts from what you spend. For example, at Christmas we bought all of our gift cards at Giant Eagle, which was enough to earn up a couple of gas fill-ups paying less than a dollar a gallon.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #58

Most from Walmart, a little from Jewel and a little from Whole Foods
Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #59

During the winter months, I do about 80 percent of my shopping at the regional big grocer (Giant Eagle). The rest of my shopping is done at a dollar store near my office, an independent natural foods store, an all-year-round small farm market (not convenient), a nearby Italian store, and Walmart.

In summer, I revel in the many excellent open-air farmer's markets for about 80 percent of my purchases. The only Costco is on the other side of Pittsburgh, otherwise I would join in a heartbeat. I love Whole Foods but the locations are an annoying drive, so I don't get there more than once or twice a year.

For special occasions I visit a nearby farm for grass-fed lamb. I will also trek down to the Strip District (retail and wholesale terminal market district) in Pittsburgh a couple of times a year for things that I can't get elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention some ethnic stores I go to. There's a Chinese supermarket in my area which has the best selection of produce at the best prices. It also has the most comprehensive fish counter. There's also an Indian grocery store where I buy a variety of items such as spices, dried beans, and Indian breads. (I've been doing a fair bit of Indian cooking.) It's a 20 minute drive to both so I only go infrequently, since I can walk to a couple of regular supermarket chains and Trader Joe's. There's a latino grocery store I also shop at.