Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I'm on the road in the NY/PA area I always shop at Wegmans for my travel meals. This regional market chain has great selections of basically anything you need. Lots of neat stuff you can't find elsewhere.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
When I'm on the road in the NY/PA area I always shop at Wegmans for my travel meals. This regional market chain has great selections of basically anything you need. Lots of neat stuff you can't find elsewhere.
I would think I had died and gone to heaven if there was a Wegman's near me! I think the closest one is in State College (where Penn State's main campus is) and that is a couple of hours driving time. The first Wegman's I ever experienced (30 years ago) was in Erie. I have been to the truly wonderful Wegman's in Fairfax VA, too.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #63

Funny, we have Wegman's about a half hour away in two different directions and I've heard rave reviews from friends. Never been though.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

We normally grocery shop at Aldi's, Meijers, and Caputo's. We like Caputo's large selection of produce. We have a Walmart close by but don't find the prices much different than Meijer's. We also have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Jewel close by but find the prices quite a bit higher.

Oh, and I remember many years ago sacking groceries and stocking shelves at the local HyVee store where I grew up. We would even carry the groceries out to your car and load them into the truck, and taking tips was not allowed, "A helpful smile in every aisle". I wonder if HyVee still does that.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #65

70% Walmart
20% Kroger/HEB/Brooksher Brothers
10% Sams
Would shop Costco if there was one close enough
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I would think I had died and gone to heaven if there was a Wegman's near me!
+1, except that we'd be spending way too much on food and weigh twice what we do.

I've been to the one in Sterling, VA and it is a sight. Bring your checkbook though.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I would think I had died and gone to heaven if there was a Wegman's near me! I think the closest one is in State College (where Penn State's main campus is) and that is a couple of hours driving time. The first Wegman's I ever experienced (30 years ago) was in Erie. I have been to the truly wonderful Wegman's in Fairfax VA, too.

+1. I grew up in upstate NY (finger lakes) and all grocery shopping was done at Wegman's. When we head back to visit my mom we always make it a point to do two things, stop at Wegman's and hit up some of the wineries . Nothing around western PA competes.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #68

The things I miss most about Wegman's are the fresh seafood, the smoked fish counter, the gourmet cheeses, the breads, and the beautiful and varied veggies and fruits. Well, and the houseware department, too.

Walt, I hear 'ya! If I lived near one I would have to discipline myself in due time or I would be a bag lady (albeit a very well-fed one).
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Within 2 miles of the house we have, Cub Foods, Sam's Club, WalMart, Super Target, Aldi's, Rainbow Foods and Walgreens. We shop them all depending on the coupons in the Sun. paper.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right now I'm limited to a regional grocery chain. I've been to our Hy-vee, not as large as Imoldernu's. I do like their meats and produce better. Love to try out Aldis and Costco, just can't do it now.

My DW has the store I go to memorized. She puts the list together and it's in the exact order of the products in the isles. She's so good at it, if we don't need anything in a particular isle, somehow she keeps the list in the correct order for the next isle.This helps immensely.

When I did try Walmart, I was so confused(VV). I almost fell down in a refrigerated bin, as I lost balance looking down. Some manager type saw it, came up started asking questions, he thought I was intoxicated. He got a little too pushy asking about why I stumbled. As I explained my condition, he looked at me in total disbelief. I finally told him what he could do with the groceries in my cart, and walked out.

I've spoken to the manager where we shop about my issue. He's offered to have them do the shopping for us. I appreciate the offer, my PT doesn't want me to do that, fearing I'll become housebound.
MRG
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #71

A bump to an interesting link... what to buy and not buy at Aldi's

ALDI 101: What To Buy At Aldi | Gimme Some Oven
Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A bump to an interesting link... what to buy and not buy at Aldi's

ALDI 101: What To Buy At Aldi | Gimme Some Oven
Thank you, as someone that wants to try Aldis out, gives me an idea what to expect.

I did try our local Hy-vee, as the list was small. I wanted a challenge too. Like the meats, fish, and produce. I had some difficulty finding some things, the staff was great helping me. I know I'm not ready for a big list there yet.

Aldis will take more time to get to. I don't mind the bag yourself policy. Right now looking down is difficult. Actually it's part of my balance therpy. Maybe in a few more weeks.
MRG
Old 03-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thank you, as someone that wants to try Aldis out, gives me an idea what to expect.

I did try our local Hy-vee, as the list was small. I wanted a challenge too. Like the meats, fish, and produce. I had some difficulty finding some things, the staff was great helping me. I know I'm not ready for a big list there yet.

Aldis will take more time to get to. I don't mind the bag yourself policy. Right now looking down is difficult. Actually it's part of my balance therpy. Maybe in a few more weeks.
MRG

Went to Aldi last week... it is smaller than the local grocery store we used to go when I was a kid.... and that is small by today's standards...

I did not see anything special there... some things might be a bit cheaper, but some more... very small selection though...

It is not for me... no apparent savings, longer distance, almost no selection and you have to pay cash.... what is there to like
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #74

99% of everything I buy for my home comes from Walmart Supercenter including food. It's 1 of 3 grocery stores within a mile of my home and has by far the lowest everyday price. The other places may have specials that are worth while but their everyday prices are way too high.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #75

I find significant savings at Aldi on the many basic foods I eat each week: oatmeal, milk, Greek yogurt, berries, apples, bananas, fresh veggies, spinach and other bagged salad greens, cheese, crackers, eggs, beans, spices, canned tomatoes, etc. Their paper products such as tissues, paper towels, and baggies are also excellent. I pay with a debit card.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
More than 30 years ago, I crossed from France to Germany on my bike and immediately encountered another American cyclist. We started chatting and soon learned we both needed to stop at a food store. He said to me, "Let's go to the funny market". I said, "What's the funny market?" "What", he said, "you've never been to an Aldi?" That was my introduction to Aldi.

I had no idea they have opened stores in the US until I saw one in Wisconsin over 5 years ago.

BTW, Aldi bought Trader Joe's; they were not the founders of the chain. They seem to have left the outstanding California-based management in place.

Same as anethum, we saw our first Aldi's when we moved to Wisconsin, also about 5 years ago. For us it was.....ok, not earth shattering. We shopped there twice, then shopped mostly at Sam's Club & Woodman's. Sometimes Walmart. After we moved back south (much warmer, much less snow) we resumed shopping at the local Air Force Commissary, which is less than 10 minutes from our house. It gets pretty busy on the weekends, but we can tell quite a difference between commissary grocery prices in general, vs. anyplace else that we've shopped. I estimate 90% of our groceries come from the commissary.