Food Shopping

More than 30 years ago, I crossed from France to Germany on my bike and immediately encountered another American cyclist. We started chatting and soon learned we both needed to stop at a food store. He said to me, "Let's go to the funny market". I said, "What's the funny market?" "What", he said, "you've never been to an Aldi?" That was my introduction to Aldi.

I had no idea they have opened stores in the US until I saw one in Wisconsin over 5 years ago.

BTW, Aldi bought Trader Joe's; they were not the founders of the chain. They seem to have left the outstanding California-based management in place.

Same as anethum, we saw our first Aldi's when we moved to Wisconsin, also about 5 years ago. For us it was.....ok, not earth shattering. We shopped there twice, then shopped mostly at Sam's Club & Woodman's. Sometimes Walmart. After we moved back south (much warmer, much less snow) we resumed shopping at the local Air Force Commissary, which is less than 10 minutes from our house. It gets pretty busy on the weekends, but we can tell quite a difference between commissary grocery prices in general, vs. anyplace else that we've shopped. I estimate 90% of our groceries come from the commissary.

Back
Top Bottom