Join Early Retirement Today

Food Storage Containers
Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Food Storage Containers

Our rubbermaid food storage containers have lasted pretty well for 16 years, but we've lost and broken enough lids that it's time to replace them. They don't make that style anymore, so I've got to decide on a brand/line.

For me, the key to convenient food storage is to have all the containers the same, so you never have to search for the right lid. Actually, it would be OK to have different sized containers as long as the lids were interchangeable, but most manufacturers haven't figured that out yet.

I'll probably go with Rubbermaid Durable, Premier, or Collapsible.

Any good or bad experiences with the type of containers you use?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our rubbermaid food storage containers have lasted pretty well for 16 years, but we've lost and broken enough lids that it's time to replace them. They don't make that style anymore, so I've got to decide on a brand/line.

For me, the key to convenient food storage is to have all the containers the same, so you never have to search for the right lid. Actually, it would be OK to have different sized containers as long as the lids were interchangeable, but most manufacturers haven't figured that out yet.

I'll probably go with Rubbermaid Durable, Premier, or Collapsible.

Any good or bad experiences with the type of containers you use?
I like Pyrex glass ones, because I trust glass better than plastic, and it can go into the oven or microwave.

But I haven't found any big ones yet, just single serving and a bit small for my servings to boot.

Ha

Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought about 100 on ebay a few years ago for $10 or $15.
There were pints, 1 1/2 pints, and quarts, all with the same lids.
The empties nest nicely, and the lid rims are compact enough not to take up too much freezer space.
I don't know if they are still made, but the brand was Ball (same as the canning jars).
Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Al, you really like to ask the most provocotive questions - but are a master in cloaking them as innocent, household topics?

I also prefer the Pyrex glass - at the tar-jay they have a box set w/ different sizes from about a half lasagna pan to single serving. they do have a plastic top.

i'm trying to reduce my plastic use to a bare minimum and never use in microwave...
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our rubbermaid food storage containers have lasted pretty well for 16 years, but we've lost and broken enough lids that it's time to replace them.
I knew we'd eventually isolate the root cause of the problems you brought up in that milk thread...

Quote:
Every time I've bought a "set" or a "system", it's been ripped asunder by the first dishwasher meltdown or freezer fracture. From then on all we have is a mess of extra lids & bottoms that never go far enough and never work well together again. So we don't buy storage containers retail. With no more emotional investment we no longer mourn the inevitable fallen faithful.

Our local Thai restaurant took care of standardization for us. I don't know who supplies their clear plastic containers with the snap-fit lids but we reuse those. The tall & short ones have the same-size lids and they fit nicely in our fridge shelves. Best of all we get several free with every Thai food purchase, and we'll never have to worry about collecting the whole set!

We also bring home the occasional Goodwill or garage sale impulse buy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #6

I got a gift of a couple of the "Stain Shield" rigid polycarbonate ones, but they do crack (from freezing or dropping I don't know). They are not really space-efficient, but are good for fridge leftovers since you can see the condition of the contents.

My favorites are some old ("Hefty"?) square ones with tiny borders on the lids so things fit very neatly in the freezer.. I only have six; too bad they don't make them any more.

I second the Thai/chinese takeout ones. They are "free", and the lids all match. I use the big ones for frozen homemade broth, and once they are solid I turn every other one upside down to save freezer space.

I have a bunch of various inherited Tupperware; while they are compelling objects (variety of form factors, robust, excellent seal) they are just too 'random' for me.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I bought a set of the pyrex glass ones with rubberish lids and little pop up steam vents. They've outlasted several plastic sets for all the reasons Nords mentioned, plus the plastic ones become permanently red tinted after putting anything with tomato sauce in them. I think they're about 10 years old now and except for a small chip on one edge of one, look like new.

They're heavy, thats the only major downside. I think I bought them at Costco, but good luck seeing if they still have them 10 years later.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I just noticed "new in package" Hefty pints, 1 1/2's, and quarts containers on ebay, if anyone is interested. Search on Hefty containers.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I bought a set of the pyrex glass ones with rubberish lids and little pop up steam vents. They've outlasted several plastic sets for all the reasons Nords mentioned, plus the plastic ones become permanently red tinted after putting anything with tomato sauce in them. I think they're about 10 years old now and except for a small chip on one edge of one, look like new.

They're heavy, thats the only major downside. I think I bought them at Costco, but good luck seeing if they still have them 10 years later.
Amazon.com: Deluxe Pyrex 10-pc. Storage Set: Kitchen & Dining

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Check first at Target before you pay for shipping.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Those be them. Except I got a whole lot more pieces. I must have 10-12 containers plus matching lids. I think I paid $25 or $28 for the set. So $19 for 5 containers with lids is a pretty decent deal. This looks like the 5 smaller pieces of my set, I have a couple that can hold everything out of a very large pot.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #12

for me, less is better. the less i have to store, the more i'm compelled to "find" what it was last used for (might be sitting in the back of the fridge w/ some old leftovers), retrieve and wash it. so one set is perfect for us!

the take-out cartons i caution may be made with plastics only intended for a couple of uses, so beyond that i hope people are tossing them. the plastics can start to leach chemicals into your food, yum! and polycarbonate is known to be a leacher of estrogen.

i first got some mild plastic warnings when pregnant - the books include warnings not to microwave stuff in plastic containers, etc., then found out more info after that. the gr**nguide.com has a good plastic guide on what numbers at the bottom to look for. so i microwave in glass always, and use a plate as a topper for splatters...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I bought one Rubbermaid premier-line 2 cup container for testing, plus a five-pack of the ziploc "disposables" (these are one fifth the price (per container)).

The Rubbermaid is very nice, with lids that snap onto the base and each other for storage. However, it does leak. That is, put water in it and tilt it and the water will drip out.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Al, you're the man when it comes to "home ec," as we used to call it.

Charging non-rechargeable batteries, food containers, towels, tires, apple sauce, stickers that peel off without leaving a residue, margarine, milk, bubble wrap as window insulation, to name just a few of your recent inquiries / tips.

I alternate between marveling at your ingeniousness and wondering if maybe I shouldn't keep working just a few more years .

Anyway, thanks for the infotainment.

P.S. Any ideas for removing efflorescence from a brick walkway?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

TSP (not the retirement plan) is supposed to be good for removing efflorescence, but it didn't work on our retaining wall.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Muriatic acid works on the powdery efflorescence but a power tool with a metal scrub brush is about all that'll remove the crystaline stuff.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

And after you have cleaned it apply a grout sealer.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Found Rubbermaid "Twist and seal" containers at "Tar-jay," and after some testing (including filling with water and putting in the freezer), these were the winners. They are also one-third the price of the others I've tested. So I bought 18. They meet all the requirements:

Nestable
Can see the food without opening
Don't leak
Dishwasher safe
Microwaveable
Freezable

Quote:
Charging non-rechargeable batteries, food containers, towels, tires, apple sauce, stickers that peel off without leaving a residue, margarine, milk, bubble wrap as window insulation, to name just a few of your recent inquiries / tips.

I alternate between marveling at your ingeniousness and wondering if maybe I shouldn't keep working just a few more years .
Now that you mention it, I do in fact do a lot of that stuff. It is fun.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I do in fact do a lot of that stuff. It is fun.
Agree. I devour Consumer Report every month. (Their health care material is as consistently accurate as I've seen anywhere, and I agree with most of their health care delivery stances.)

Maybe some day I'd volunteer to work with them.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
P.S. Any ideas for removing efflorescence from a brick walkway?
I know that's a bad sign on walls & basements-- a moisture problem.

Is there a way to stop a moisture problem with the walkway? Can it be elevated or can the drainage around it be improved? Of course this may be a disease where the cure is worse than the symptoms...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote