Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
We use the webstaurant website to buy 11 1/2 x 50' rolls for less than $10 bucks a roll. Have to buy in quantity to get reasonable shipping costs. Otherwise can buy on Ebay for about $16 each including shipping.
What was the site?

My main problem is that it cost around $1 or so to seal anything up... so not worth it for most things...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

webstaurant.com or see ebay member swisspac03 - based in ohio

this is for 50' rolls 11 inches wide
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... My main problem is that it cost around $1 or so to seal anything up... so not worth it for most things...
I don't think I could spend $1/bag if I tried. My 8" rolls, bought carefully, run about 20 cents per foot and most of my bags are around 8" deep. So, closer to 14 cents/bag.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Bag cost is one of the main reasons I went the chamber route (but the chamber machine was not cheap). That said, there still are pros and cons vs more common external sealers. I still use an external for jars and just sealing bags like potato chip bags.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I don't think I could spend $1/bag if I tried. My 8" rolls, bought carefully, run about 20 cents per foot and most of my bags are around 8" deep. So, closer to 14 cents/bag.

I did not know about these on Ebay... bought from Walmart or other similar and it was like $15 for 16 ft x 11 in....used a bit more than a foot per bag...

I agree that with this it is like you say... so I am going to be getting some and freezing some more good meat when it goes on sale again...

However, I still have prime meat from Dec 14... bought so much of it at a really cheap price... almost all gone now so will be looking for another big sale... BTW, the meat is still great when I cook it... I read to only go a year but have not seen any problem except the color is not pink when thawed... the taste is the same and if you did not look at it before cooking you would not know...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The most effective vacuum sealer bags I think are the ones with a strip in the middle that allows air to get sucked out. Others are more hit or miss.

I bought a bunch (no sure of brand name) year back vacuum bags (no strip in middle) that are terrible. The don't seal well at all.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #47

Well I am going to have to buy something new. In the past, the thrift stores always had several at any given time. Went to the huge salvation army thrift store nearby , and ZERO in stock .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #48

Easysurfer: The ones we use have a mesh side on the inside of the bag that allows the air to be sucked out prior to the sealing.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Easysurfer: The ones we use have a mesh side on the inside of the bag that allows the air to be sucked out prior to the sealing.
A lot of variables, such as the machine itself.

Yes, the external sealers have special bags like a mesh side or middle strip to allow air to get sucked out. I've had the tightest seals with the ones with a middle strip (either as individual bags or self made to custom sizes). But one negative is sometimes the seal is too tight that when using, I've had to run some warm water briefly over the strip to defrost as just opening and separating the seal would leave some particles of the strip on the meat.

Attached is picture of what bag with strip looks like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vac strip.jpg (63.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #50

When I was single I had a "seal-a-meal" with the bags you could reheat in boiling water. I would spend a day making large amounts of chili, stew, etc. that I could package up, let cool, and freeze flat. Later I would arrange them upright like records. It worked well for me because I would have about a months worth of meals. Kind of like a convenient MRE.

Now that I'm married for 30 years, retired, and like to have fresh fruits, veggies, and fresh seafood I haven't done that for a loooooong time. Anything that is left over from dinner can be stored in a zip-loc or plastic container for lunch or snack the next day.

I saw vacuum sealers in Costco but they were much more expensive that the one I had years ago and didn't see needing to use one again or having to spend the money and then find a place to store it.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote