Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, that seems to be politically motivated. He's been adequately punished by the Feds. The state prosecutor is just trying to make himself look good after dragging his feet for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
He still must face/dispose of the State of Georgia Charges........... I guess it is not over yet for MV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I believe that he received about the same sentence that the lady who recently shot her pastor husband (in the back of the head while he slept) got.
Yeah, but she killed a man, and only her husband at that. She must have had some bad luck, normally she would expect to walk.

Idiot Vick killed a dog. Also against him is the fact that he himself is a man.

Ha

Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
He still must face/dispose of the State of Georgia Charges........... I guess it is not over yet for MV.
....as well as state charges here in Virginia!

While I agree that Mr. Vick deserved to be punished for his crime, here in Virginia our legal system seems to be a little "out of whack"...

Over the past 2 years, we had a pregnant mother who shot herself in the abdomen to rid herself of a baby she no longer wanted. Due to the inadequacy of our laws, she was not prosecuted for taking her child's life.

A police officer became a mentor to young boys and took advantage of their vulnerability to abuse them sexually. He was found guilty but served NO TIME for his crimes.

And now, a well known young man was found guilty of training and using dogs to viciously attack each other....and he will serve time.....

Maybe being rich and famous is not all that it is cracked up to be!!??
Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Maybe being rich and famous is not all that it is cracked up to be!!??
It worked out for OJ.........at least for the first time.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Maybe he can film "The Longest Yard II - Electric Boogaloo" while he's in jail.

He and his buddies cut the tails and ears off their dogs so there would be less for the opponent to get hold of. When the dogs lost, they were strung up and while it struggled for its life they poked it with cattleprods and laughed. When they were done, they'd douse the dog with water and electrocute it.

Pretty frickin far from a humane kill in a slaughterhouse.

While I hope that no team will sign him when he gets released, its a sad thought that someone will put aside their values in the hopes that they can win a few more games.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #46

Humane kill and slaughterhouse are pretty close to a contradiction in terms.

Cutting the ears and tails and beaks and testicles off of animals is a routine part of factory farming.

I agree that some jail time for Vick is warranted.

I just think that its a little ridiculous to get too sanctimonious about it when everyone who eats meat has some of this stuff done for them. Just because you've delegated your animal torture, doesn't mean you aren't responsible for it

Note-- I eat meat. In order to do so, I need other people to raise and kill animals for me. The cheapest way of doing that involves a fair amount of misery for the animal. Some people would call it torture. Probably not our President

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Maybe he can film "The Longest Yard II - Electric Boogaloo" while he's in jail.

He and his buddies cut the tails and ears off their dogs so there would be less for the opponent to get hold of. When the dogs lost, they were strung up and while it struggled for its life they poked it with cattleprods and laughed. When they were done, they'd douse the dog with water and electrocute it.

Pretty frickin far from a humane kill in a slaughterhouse.

While I hope that no team will sign him when he gets released, its a sad thought that someone will put aside their values in the hopes that they can win a few more games.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The minute Vick produces a recipe for the results of his "efforts", I'll see the analogy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #48

I think comparison of sentences based on perceptions of the crimes is difficult without knowing all the particulars of each case. In Vick's case, I thought his was based not just on the dog charges but also influenced by his failing to comply with orders to avoid illegal drugs (though no drug charges were filed), by his lying under oath (though no perjury charges were filed) and by his attitude and refusal to accept responsibility throughout. I do not know the particulars of this case either, but from what's been reported he sure handled things poorly.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Humane kill and slaughterhouse are pretty close to a contradiction in terms.

Cutting the ears and tails and beaks and testicles off of animals is a routine part of factory farming.
Don't know why you called out "factory farming." Loping ears and tails, trimming beaks and castration is a routine part of family farming as well.
Quote:

I agree that some jail time for Vick is warranted.

I just think that its a little ridiculous to get too sanctimonious about it
People have relished witnessing hangings/executions/punishments forever. And some people are outraged by Vick's crimes, so they're venting. That will be over shortly. Heck, there was about as much sanctimonious outcry over Martha Stewart's jail sentence, maybe more.
Quote:
Note-- I eat meat. In order to do so, I need other people to raise and kill animals for me. The cheapest way of doing that involves a fair amount of misery for the animal. Some people would call it torture. Probably not our President
Since you recognize you are directly responsible for torturing animals and take responsibility, why not stop? There are sources for field raised animals and poultry that are humanely killed outside of slaughter houses.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I believe that he received about the same sentence that the lady who recently shot her pastor husband (in the back of the head while he slept) got.
Actually that little lady is free already, and now wants visitation rights to her children, whose father she murdered. Read all about it here:

Minister's parents balk at convicted mother visiting kids - CNN.com
Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Actually that little lady is free already, and now wants visitation rights to her children, whose father she murdered. Read all about it here:

Minister's parents balk at convicted mother visiting kids - CNN.com
Only in America can one murder one's spouse and then want visitation rights with the children of the person she killed. The little lady has got a lot of backbone.

Maybe it was because the jury and judge did not take into account that she killed him like a dog. The little lady might have gotten a stiffer jail sentence if she had killed the family dog

Which is a worse crime Vick's treatment/killing of the dogs or the killing of a pastor while he slept?

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #52

Should anyone be surprised to read from those who know Vick well that he is narcissistic and dumb? How truly unique for a football player....yeah, right....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

One can't be truly dumb and learn an NFL playbook.

Poor judgment maybe. Immature maybe. Ethically challenged maybe. But not actually stupid.

Ha