Join Early Retirement Today

For all you folks that are still working out there
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Administrator

For all you folks that are still working out there

Happy Labor Day

For all the rest of you, see this card Work Holiday Lazy Vacation | Labor Day Ecard | someecards.com

Other enjoyable labor day cards Labor Day Ecards, Free Labor Day Ecards, Funny Labor Day Greeting Ecards at someecards.com

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right. If you are labor, be happy, if you are management, the previous does not apply.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Ehhh...Labor Day....ehhh... The only thing today that is different is I have to remember not to go to the mailbox as there will be no mail.

For the rest of the folks that w*rk, enjoy your day off.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are some of us who work full time and who also volunteer during days off... In my case I w*rked (volunteered to be more precise) at a free clinic today. Does volunteering count as w*rk ? Sorry I am very new to this website, trying to learn the jargon....
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had to w*rk all of labor day weekend up until 5am monday morning. Just not right!
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Right. If you are labor, be happy, if you are management, the previous does not apply.
Where I work, those of us with longevity pay and overtime status via our union will not take a management position. We would make less money and have worse health insurance not to mentioned an unpaid lunch hour. Actually, my very nice boss invited me for dinner last night and as she is a very fine French chef (second generation in this country from France) I happily ate and guzzled at her table.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
There are some of us who work full time and who also volunteer during days off... In my case I w*rked (volunteered to be more precise) at a free clinic today. Does volunteering count as w*rk ? Sorry I am very new to this website, trying to learn the jargon....
Welcome to the forum. DW and I both feel that volunteering is not at all like work, and like many here, look for opportunities. As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta. If you are fortunate to have work that you wanna do, good for you.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta. If you are fortunate to have work that you wanna do, good for you.
In my youth I was an electrician's assistant in heavy construction. Later I was on a case in Dalton in a carpet factory, something out of Dante's inferno. Those jobs are WORK. I suppose being a university professor was "work" of a sort.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Boxers, Briefs and Books
How I became a writer — and really learned to work.
By JOHN GRISHAM

Quote:
I WASN’T always a lawyer or a novelist, and I’ve had my share of hard, dead-end jobs. I earned my first steady paycheck watering rose bushes at a nursery for a dollar an hour. I was in my early teens, but the man who owned the nursery saw potential, and he promoted me to his fence crew. For $1.50 an hour, I labored like a grown man as we laid mile after mile of chain-link fence. ...
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. DW and I both feel that volunteering is not at all like work, and like many here, look for opportunities. As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta. If you are fortunate to have work that you wanna do, good for you.
I agree. Working is quite different to having a job that you have to go to. If you are lucky you'll have a job you enjoy doing
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ehhh...Labor Day....ehhh... The only thing today that is different is I have to remember not to go to the mailbox as there will be no mail.
And remember that trash pickup will be delayed by one day this week ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
DW and I both feel that volunteering is not at all like work, and like many here, look for opportunities. As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta.
Exactly. I volunteer more than I would have ever considered during my "accumulation years" (I hate the "W" word).

I've received much more appreciation in my volunteer efforts than I ever received (not counting a paycheck - but that's not really appreciation) when I was pre-retired.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
And remember that trash pickup will be delayed by one day this week ...
Oooooh...that's right. I'd better put a sticky note on my calendar!

Ehhh...but then again I don't look at my calendar anymore.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Where I work, those of us with longevity pay and overtime status via our union will not take a management position. We would make less money and have worse health insurance not to mentioned an unpaid lunch hour. Actually, my very nice boss invited me for dinner last night and as she is a very fine French chef (second generation in this country from France) I happily ate and guzzled at her table.
Know the attitude well. Last place w*rked I went from union to management. For me it was worth it. From a current RE view it was a tossup. There for most with 18+ years would have been a pay and benefits cut.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
So long as it is done for self satisfaction, it is not w*rk. I have done some brutally difficult stuff, for no obvious compensation, simply for the satisfaction of doing it, and be able to step back and admire the results.