For all you tightwads: 32 AA batteries on the cheap

The local home improvement chain has batteries free or nearly free after rebate once or twice a year....probably beats a trip to the emergency room after trying to pry that sucker open....;)

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that this comes as a complete surprise to me. It looks easy enough. Thanks.

I'm voting for hoax -- good hoax.

BTW, I saw 8 Panasonic AA's for $1 at the Dollar Tree the other day. Probably have lead paint on them.

That blows my mind!!! Can it be? Surely not!! Is it for real, or is it a hoax?

Sounds like a good deal to me. Now I have to find someone who is willing to take the batteries out for me.

This is for just in case something BAD happens.

I suppose it could be true. AA batteries are 1.5 volts, so four of them in series would be 6 volts. Eight groups of four in series placed in parallel would have an output of 6 volts and be capable of delivering the higher current necessary for a lantern battery.

Having said this, I'm still not sure I want to try to pry open a lantern battery just yet.

I'ze a tightwad and was sure thinking about this - but $5 to see? Like i say, i'm cheap. So now comes this video:
Lantern Battery Trick Fails*Video
Looks like you pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

This video is a lot more believable, to me. Considering how many lantern batteries are manufactured every year, I don't think they would settle for 32 AA batteries since they would not be the best (and maybe not even adequate) for this application.

Interesting, the title image on the first film is GAGFILMS.com. That should be a good indication of a hoax and add the fact that none of the batteries are wired together is another tip off.

If you think of the economics of the whole thing it's nuts. Just the amount of metal in 32 AA batteries alone is more than that of the 4 cells shown in the second film.

Not a HOAX, but not a bargain

Not a HOAX, but not a bargain either.

There is a simple catch that was overlooked by everyone here. That $5 Lantern Battery is labeled 'Heavy Duty' - it is NOT made up of alkaline batteries.

'Heavy Duty' was the term applied to the better batteries long before Alkalines came along. Alkalines are far superior to 'Heavy Duty'. It's all relative.

So you will get 32 really cheap batteries that you could probably buy for less if you really wanted cheap batteries.

Price out a Lantern Battery labeled Alkaline and see. Also, would it be made of of AA - maybe?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom