For bicycling enthusiasts

HFWR

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am strictly a weekend warrior when it comes to bicycling, so when I noticed "Riding the Tour de France: Livin' the Dream" in the program listings, I decided to give it a watch.

The premise: could two "regular" guys ride the Mountain Stage of the Tour de France. The answer is, well, yes and no... :LOL:

Anyway, that would be one tough ride. I'm sure I'd be on the sag wagon post haste.

It's on Discovery HD Theater. Worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.

Discovery HD Theater :: TV Listings :: Riding the Tour de France: Livin' the Dream

I think I've seen this before. It was really good. I'd love to go and watch the Tour d' France in person sometime.

I think I've seen this before. It was really good. I'd love to go and watch the Tour d' France in person sometime.

I would say it is a bunch of hooey unless you are at the start or finish....

I was in Switzerland for a week... and we kept seeing all these people on bicycles at times when we were in the train... then one day we were on a boat trip to a dam... and while looking at the dam we see a group of bicycle riders coming across the top... there were a few people there cheering them on.... so we did the same... 5 minutes later they were all gone... I asked 'what was that all about'... I was told it was the Tour de Swiss, which is before the tour de France... and a lot of riders use it as a warm up... so I saw what I would see watching in France at most places... and it was a whopping 5 minutes....

OHHH, also, check out the stage times for most of the flat parts.... they ALL come in at about the same time... so no biggie there either...

You go to the Tour de France as much for the ambiance as for the race itself IMO. Best place to watch it: on a steep incline during a mountain stage because the riders are moving slower and you have more time to see/photograph your favorite guy. Another fun thing is the comaraderie of people from around the world sharing food on the side of the road, waiting for the race to go by (they close the roads a few hours before the race, so you have to get there early). And then there is the "caravane", a bunch of advertising trucks throwing free goodies at you ahead of the race.

I would say it is a bunch of hooey unless you are at the start or finish....

I was in Switzerland for a week... and we kept seeing all these people on bicycles at times when we were in the train... then one day we were on a boat trip to a dam... and while looking at the dam we see a group of bicycle riders coming across the top... there were a few people there cheering them on.... so we did the same... 5 minutes later they were all gone... I asked 'what was that all about'... I was told it was the Tour de Swiss, which is before the tour de France... and a lot of riders use it as a warm up... so I saw what I would see watching in France at most places... and it was a whopping 5 minutes....

OHHH, also, check out the stage times for most of the flat parts.... they ALL come in at about the same time... so no biggie there either...
I'm guessing you aren't a cyclist...

I'm guessing you aren't a cyclist...

I actually was a long time ago... but not anymore... I don't see how that matters about what I said..

And just so this does not go back and forth... I keep up on what happens in the tour... it is interesting... but as I said, not a live spectator sport IMO...

Have you been to any live professional race like the tour? As I said, I was by accident and it was not that great..

Now something that is a very short time that I did like was a shuttle launch... I was going to try and see my second earlier this month, but it got delayed out of my vacation time and is still delayed... so it is also a lot of 'wait'

As a cyclist and former racer and a TdF junkie for 35 years, I'll definitely be tuned in. Yes, for the non-cyclist, the Tour can be a lot of hooey, but that goes for most sports. It'd be a rare day when you got me to spend an afternoon watching two people hit a ball back and forth over a net. :D

It'd be a rare day when you got me to spend an afternoon watching two people hit a ball back and forth over a net. :D

Oh, I don't know...

Attachments

• Elena.JPG
    Elena.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • maria-sharapova.jpg
    maria-sharapova.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Venus.jpg
    Venus.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
This is an overview of our amateur enthusiasts' ride...

Attachments

• _TDF_2007_PROFIL_700.JPG
    _TDF_2007_PROFIL_700.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom