For Book: Gun Question

If you want to make it even more complicated use a smaller gun of a larger caliber but use some sort or cartridge holder to fire a smaller diameter bullet in a larger diameter barrel but keep the range short as it might have an unusually low velocity for that type of weapon… coroners report might make it look as if the bullet must have passed through something before striking the person suggesting person was moved. Even finding the weapon recently fired on the woman it is the wrong caliber and ballistics would not match as smaller ammo might not even touch the sides of the inner barrel.

One of the plot points in the 2007 movie Shooter, starring Mark Wahlberg, was the use of "paper patching" to fire a smaller caliber round from a larger caliber barrel in order to frame the hero.

I love it. An antique murder weapon that has sentimental value to the killer. Obsolete low power weapon and ammunition makes the killer reach out to folks who can handcraft lethal rounds.

You'd be amazed how lethal many of those "obsolete" weapons can be. I am proposing to bring down a cow elk (500 pound animal) this fall with a muzzleloading percussion rifle (19th century technology) that throws a chunk of lead a lot more slowly than a modern elk cartridge like a .30-06. Everything I read and hear is that up to 100 yards they go down pretty hard with this stuff.

If you wanted an easy, cheap way to increase lethality, it used to be you just dipped the bullets in rat poison (warfarin) to keep the victim from any hope of surviving the shot. Since warfarin was banned as rat poison sometime in the Obama years, I don't know what the current products are so that plot element might not work.

You'd be amazed how lethal many of those "obsolete" weapons can be. I am proposing to bring down a cow elk (500 pound animal) this fall with a muzzleloading percussion rifle (19th century technology) that throws a chunk of lead a lot more slowly than a modern elk cartridge like a .30-06. Everything I read and hear is that up to 100 yards they go down pretty hard with this stuff.

If you wanted an easy, cheap way to increase lethality, it used to be you just dipped the bullets in rat poison (warfarin) to keep the victim from any hope of surviving the shot. Since warfarin was banned as rat poison sometime in the Obama years, I don't know what the current products are so that plot element might not work.

Hit up granny for her Coumadin stash - samo samo Warfarin.

If the firearm for this work of fiction is to be small, easily concealed and not daunting for a woman of small stature to use, a Glock 25 or 28 may be good choices. Neither of those guns are allowed to be imported into the United States. The reasoning behind that:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309813

To make things even more interesting, include the addition of an accessory available from the internet to make the gun fully automatic. ATF is currently knocking on the doors of a lot of people who have violated the law by purchasing these little do-dads/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/14/want-to-make-your-glock-full-auto/

Perhaps have it be a gun the woman made herself from an 80% lower. That doesn't go through a FFL and does not have a serial number. Completely legal (in my State of Florida and the states I travel to) so long as it is for personal use.

Last edited:
I would go .22 cal if you want a slug to remain in the brain pan.

You know what they say about a guy with big hands?

There are some single shot pistols that fire a shot gun shell, but I would assume that would be messy.

Also it's very hard to handle a long gun load in a handgun. It takes a LOT of hand/wrist strength as well as just plain large physical size of the hands. Not consistent with OP's murderer.

To get back to your question, no it would not be silly. I am female and shoot a lot, and a woman (especially one in good shape) would have no problem handling such a firearm.

my mum was taught to use a 12 gauge shotgun at 14 and she was small ( think Granny of the Clampetts in Beverley Hillbillies ) even as an adult

also i remember a ( allegedly true ) story of a high school girl sent to school with a MAC 10 in her lunch box ( both licensed and with a special permit to carry )

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=86

i guess it depends on practice and training .
automatic weapons tend to be hard to control in burst or rapid fire modes

a .22 round in standard velocity can be suppressed with minimal effort the loudest sound then is the bullet impact on the target , the trouble with a .22 is precision is needed , or the target dies from blood loss or infection/blood poisoning ( a slow death )

Last edited:
I know next to nothing about guns, but this triggered a memory of a long ago conversation.

Before we were admitted to the bar, we were sent for an interview with a lawyer on the admissions committee. Mine was a woman. A very small woman. I remember her speaking about being in the FBI and her hands being to small to fire some of the standard weapons. (Anyway I think it was the FBI, this conversation is going back a number of years: but, her hands were too small for the standard weapons.)

I know next to nothing about guns, but this triggered a memory of a long ago conversation.

Before we were admitted to the bar, we were sent for an interview with a lawyer on the admissions committee. Mine was a woman. A very small woman. I remember her speaking about being in the FBI and her hands being to small to fire some of the standard weapons. (Anyway I think it was the FBI, this conversation is going back a number of years: but, her hands were too small for the standard weapons.)
That could be a problem with a typical semiautomatic pistol using double stack magazines, which makes the grip wider. The weapon posited by T-Al (as well as the TEC-9) does not feed through the grip, so not so much of an issue.

That could be a problem with a typical semiautomatic pistol using double stack magazines, which makes the grip wider. The weapon posited by T-Al (as well as the TEC-9) does not feed through the grip, so not so much of an issue.

:greetings10:

Tec-9 is probably the most well known that is affordable unless your character is rich in which case an Uzi is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom