Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

For Book: Gun Question
Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For Book: Gun Question

I want the murderer in my book to use a pistol that's illegal. I'm considering this one, which is illegal in California:

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDExOTk...g-not-a-pistol

The thing is: it weights six pounds, and the murderer is a petite woman. But she's very strong.

Would it be silly to have a woman use such a heavy pistol?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because California has an "approved" firearm list and that list is pretty short when compared to all of the firearms manufactured, you have many choices of illegal firearms.
Does the firearm have to be illegal only in Cali or in the US?
My opinion on your current choice is that it is not readily concealable and probably not the first choice of a female (but you will need a female opinion on that)

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
Because California has an "approved" firearm list and that list is pretty short when compared to all of the firearms manufactured, you have many choices of illegal firearms.
Does the firearm have to be illegal only in Cali or in the US?
My opinion on your current choice is that it is not readily concealable and probably not the first choice of a female (but you will need a female opinion on that)

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns
+1

Most any high capacity weapons are illegal due to their magazines.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

9mm Uzi smg/full auto
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
gone traveling

How about a Glock 18 9mm machine pistol for stealth lethality.

Glock 18 Automatic Pistol | Military-Today.com
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Elementary, Watson. The bullet was first rubbed on an arrow poison frog
Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Elementary, Watson. The bullet was first rubbed on an arrow poison frog

If you want to toss in an element of illegality, suppose it's not the gun that's naughty but the ammunition? Armor-piercing or explosive bullets are outlawed most places, but could be fired from a variety of handguns. That gives you more flexibility in choosing a pistol suitable for a diminutive female shooter.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Mdlerth,
Very clever idea!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
If you want to toss in an element of illegality, suppose it's not the gun that's naughty but the ammunition? Armor-piercing or explosive bullets are outlawed most places, but could be fired from a variety of handguns. That gives you more flexibility in choosing a pistol suitable for a diminutive female shooter.
Great idea.... or perhaps just any old police revolver with its serial numbers ground off....
LimaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, check out the laws on 3D printed pistols. They call them ghost guns because there is no serial number on them, which essentially makes them illegal everywhere. I think that would be an interesting twist to a story!
strobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
There you go Al, a derringer shooting explosive rounds!
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #11

If it is a full auto, it is probably illegal for a not regulated person to own. But it is also a 30 year old pistol/sub machine gun. Most guns are illegal in California. All guns are illegal for her in California if she does not have a valid license.

Part of the question is when she would use it is how is she using it and how is she transporting it? It is harder to conceal then a normal pistol.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I want the murderer in my book to use a pistol that's illegal. I'm considering this one, which is illegal in California:

The thing is: it weights six pounds, and the murderer is a petite woman. But she's very strong.

Would it be silly to have a woman use such a heavy pistol?
There's nothing more dangerous than a PO woman, petite or not. And someone with her intentions probably isn't going to care if the gun is illegal or not.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Administrator

Maybe a TEC-9? Illegal in California (and several other states), but widely available (used) elsewhere in the US. Weighs less than 3 lbs empty, half the weight of the Spectre M4. Both use 9x19mm parabellum rounds in large magazines and are capable of throwing substantial amounts of lead downrange in short order.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Or, you could check your local news for stories about women murdering people using illegal guns, and use the same model as they actually use in real life.

If news stories like that are difficult to find, then possibly a similar fictional story would seem quite unrealistic. You could have the female murderer use some other method such as killing the victim with kindness... or with outstandingly bad cooking... food poisoning maybe?
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #15

A different twist on a murder weapon.....

https://throwflame.com/

Legal in CA
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobot View Post
Also, check out the laws on 3D printed pistols. They call them ghost guns because there is no serial number on them, which essentially makes them illegal everywhere.
This is just wrong, they are perfectly legal in the US. They are called 'ghost guns' because people who want to take away guns always try to play the 'fear' card by making up scary terms to justify doing so, and 'home made gun' just doesn't sound scary enough.
Curmoodgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmoodgeon View Post
This is just wrong, they are perfectly legal in the US. They are called 'ghost guns' because people who want to take away guns always try to play the 'fear' card by making up scary terms to justify doing so, and 'home made gun' just doesn't sound scary enough.
Soon to be illegal in Connecticut (as of 10/1/19). Don't know about any other states.

https://apnews.com/4547476e46f746d29ffccb3ea9cca0d9

Quote:
One measure signed by Gov. Ned Lamont, a Democrat, bans guns that do not have serial numbers. So-called ghost guns are typically sold in parts that can be assembled at home and have not been required to have serial numbers, making them difficult to trace.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

.38 auto would be a much smaller gun for realism.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #19

But please, whatever you do, don't put a silencer on it and let her shoot it and the person that is 10 feet away hears nothing.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
But please, whatever you do, don't put a silencer on it and let her shoot it and the person that is 10 feet away hears nothing.
Looking back, I've had suppressors in three of my books, but they are never silent.

"The shot wasn’t totally silent, even with the suppressor, but there was some kind of electrical motor running down in the basement. They wouldn’t have heard anything."