Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you familiar with that kind of fire escape?
Yes. I know how they work. Very little description necessary. 9 52.94%
I kinda know how they work. 8 47.06%
What the heck is that thing? 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Looking around the web, it appears that a final ladder on a fire escape is triggered with a release device up on the final landing (otherwise anyone could pull the ladder down and get into the building thru less guarded entrances).
Seems unlikely, but it does happen.
My parents lived in such a building in Brooklyn back in the 70s/80s, and had a neighbor two floors above them who habitually lost his keys when overindulging at the local tavern. Something like once a month, he would access the fire escape that way (I think he climbed on a trash can or something and jumped for the ladder). He always left his fire escape window unlocked so he could get into his apartment that way. This was a low crime part of the city, but still seemed pretty bizarre to me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Big heavy thugs outjumps agile young woman. Sound like a good work of fiction to me.

I agree that fire escapes are only accessible from below by exception. But they have been featured enough on crime shows that you should be fine. Given that the thug has her by both feet, I don't see him letting them go as they drop. He would fall on his back and she would fall backward on top of him. She grabs him by the short and curlies and has control.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was figuring against a hook, guessing that a grandma escaping a fire is not going to know how to unhook it, but I've concluded that either they have hooks, or that there are two kinds.

Looking at the pictures, though, I'm sure that most of those would allow access from the street (not intentionally).
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it any wonder these things aren't allowed by code in new construction anymore?
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote