Join Early Retirement Today

For history buffs
Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

For history buffs

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...l-not-grow-old

I saw this on Boglehead's and thought some of our members would be interested . We are going Thursday .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

We who hate to click on naked links would appreciate a bit of context and summary.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We who hate to click on naked links would appreciate a bit of context and summary.
It's a special rerun in movie theaters on 12/27 of a WWI documentary called "They Shall Not Grow Old". From the link:

"The acclaimed documentary is an extraordinary look at the soldiers and events of the Great War, using film footage captured at the time, now presented in a way the world has never seen. By utilizing state-of-the-art restoration, colorization and 3D technologies, and pulling from 600 hours of BBC archival interviews, Jackson puts forth an intensely gripping, immersive and authentic experience through the eyes and voices of the British soldiers who lived it."
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I heard something about this, maybe on PBS Newshour? Sounds fascinating. It’s only within the past couple of years that I learned much beyond “All Quiet On The Western Front” about WWI.

I’ve gotten way more interested in history once all that “work stuff” started fading into history.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Sorry , I was rushing around and forgot to add an explanation . I see is has been taken care of Thanks .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
...I’ve gotten way more interested in history once all that “work stuff” started fading into history.
Same here. Unfortunately, what I'm learning is how little things have changed, how little we've learned from history, and how easy it is to repeat.

A little knowledge sometimes makes watching the news a terrifying exercise.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Same here. Unfortunately, what I'm learning is how little things have changed, how little we've learned from history, and how easy it is to repeat.

The thin veneer of civilization...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

In preparation for an Italy trip next summer I'm reading about ancient Roman history. Institutionalized slavery, brutal wars for economic gains, a parade of emperors, etc. Keeps things in perspective and far enough back not to take it personally.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
In preparation for an Italy trip next summer I'm reading about ancient Roman history. Institutionalized slavery, brutal wars for economic gains, a parade of emperors, etc. Keeps things in perspective and far enough back not to take it personally.
I'm slowly coming to realize that this is a common delusion. That somehow, people have changed since then. Things are different now.

History does not bear this out. Current events do not bear this out. That "thin veneer" is all too thin. It wouldn't take much to see a repeat of some very dark times.

History is full of people who saw the evil coming, tried to raise the alarm, and were ignored. Then, in hindsight, we all wonder how the masses could have been so foolish. We never stop to think that we are now the masses, and we're no smarter than they were.

I try to stay optimistic. I try to only worry about things I can control. There's every reason to believe that for what's left of my life, things will continue as before. But I'm under no illusions about how quickly that can change.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
For history buffs
Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

For history buffs

Apologies for the sidetrack from the main topic of this thread, but I noticed the following piece from the regional NPR affiliate that describes a piece of history.

It’s about a speech given by FDR on the campus of UNC 80 years ago and includes a sound clip. Hope some may find it interesting.

http://www.tinyurl.com/y9jr46ww

[ADDED] It makes for interesting reading/listening over a “breakfast of grilled millionaire”.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I highly recommend watching HBO’s Rome which came out a long time ago. It’s available on Netflix I suspect, maybe even Amazon. Historically it’s accurate enough. I thought it did a good job of explaining the geopolitical environment, especially the relationships between Rome and Egypt and Rome’s relentless expansion. Also interesting vignettes of Roman daily life for both upper and lower classes.

It explained a lot of Roman historical events to me that I had found quite perplexing up until watching this series.

The thing I got out of it most was how many of the technologies we depend on today were already well established. The Romans seemed like very modern people. May have been the writers.....
Old 12-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

The documentary is available on DVD, but only currently in PAL format.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote