Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
sure, i'm surprised at some of the reaction around some of the recent threads on obama - but more reflective of where we are at as a country on these issues...
Could be; but it also could be that these are meaningful questions, and that conservatives might have a point. Act in haste; repent at leisure.

I am permanently out of these discussions, but I am (mildly) surprised that the liberals mostly want to tar the conservatives, rather than debate their points.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could be; but it also could be that these are meaningful questions, and that conservatives might have a point. Act in haste; repent at leisure.

I am permanently out of these discussions, but I am (mildly) surprised that the liberals mostly want to tar the conservatives, rather than debate their points.

Ha
care to elaborate on those meaningful questions - can't just say that to imply there are some - so far all i've heard is that Wright said things that were unpatriotic and obama should distance himself. obama denounced what wright said. then people questioned his judgement - he explained why he didn't leave. you can agree or disagree with his reasons.

anything i'm missing that is of meaning? the rest is just an attempt to frighten away possible supporters...imho

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
care to elaborate on those meaningful questions -
To reiterate...

Quote:
I am permanently out of these discussions...Ha
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Ha
Nah, my take is that there's someone with an axe to grind against Obama, on some shaky and dubious grounds. I mean how many times can you basically say that you think Obama has major character flaws, while ignoring some of the obvious character flaws in the other candidates? Perhaps, the original poster has morphed Reverend Wright into Minister Farrakkan. There was an another thread that was later locked in which somehow Obama was linked to Farrakkan.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
To reiterate...

aaaw... easy out!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #26

Quote:
aaaw... easy out!
Nah I think thats a pretty smart idea.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #27

I'm teasing Ha Ha -

it's kind of like those movies where the old guy is dying and says, "i found the meaning of life" then dies...

i sort of kind of really wanted to know what he thought those "meaningful" things were... oh well sniff sniff
Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
care to elaborate on those meaningful questions - can't just say that to imply there are some - so far all i've heard is that Wright said things that were unpatriotic and obama should distance himself. obama denounced what wright said. then people questioned his judgement - he explained why he didn't leave. you can agree or disagree with his reasons.

anything i'm missing that is of meaning? the rest is just an attempt to frighten away possible supporters...imho
And I thought your read all my posts or were you just leading me on - I'm hurt.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I think you can do both - talk about the issues and discuss what the person did in the past to shape them as individuals
But all you're doing is attacking Obama on trivial personal matters. You are not discussing the issues --like how to end the war in Iraq, Health Care, environmental and financial regulation. There's no discussion of McCain's fault's. He has already reversed his positions on several important issues. What does that say about his character?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
No offense, Packrat, but she was complaining about the number of bashing "threads", not complaining about the remarks on the threads. Once someone puts a thread up there, you have to allow responses, but I don't believe zoey has started any bashing threads.
Igsoy, thanks for not missing my point. It is indeed the number of Obama bashing threads, not the responses in the threads. I'm all for expression of opinions and diverse stances, however, I'm growing tired of the racist agenda of some who feel the need to start thread after thread with one purpose, to bash the black man who has the audacity to run for president.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
I thought this forum was for early retirement discussions, but given the number of threads started for the sole purpose of bashing Obama I'm beginning to wonder what this forum is about.

Oh moderator, enough is enough. I'm beginning to feel like I'm attending a KKK meeting when I visit this forum.

Anyone else tiring of this agenda?
You comment is a little over the top on the KKK statement.

Since we ar dishing out hyperbole... here is a helping of it. And it is not far from the mark of truth.

No Offense to you. But who cares if these politicians Liars and Cheats of any Political Persuasion, Color, Creed, Ethnic Origin, etc... More specifically Clinton, Obama, and McCain... take a public thrashing?

It is equal opportunity disdain for them.

Just about everyone of them will sell their grandmother for a vote. And later sell all of middle-class America out. They will sign-off on almost any bill for few dollars (campaign contributions).

And the ones who rise to the top of our political system are usually the most artful at deception.

From that perspective I do not believe any of them really should catch a break.

The Obama thing is getting a little old. Along with some of the other controversies.

But you can be sure of one fact. You are being deceived and in some cases told outright lies by everyone of them.

Not to pick on Obama... but remember the NAFTA remark in Ohio. The rest of them are doing the same.

So each person that is picking on their least favorite politician is in the right. Yes it is a generalization and yes it is true... Politicians are the worst form of Hypocrite and liar. Their required trait is the willingness to deceive people and rationalize why it was the right thing to do.

So If anyone supports a particular politician and is upset with people railing against them, just remember... Your hero (politician) will no doubt disappoint you, it is just a matter of time.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For Obama, charity really began in the U.S. Senate -- National Government, The White House, University of Chicago -- chicagotribune.com

" Obama has enjoyed a robust household income throughout his political career in the Illinois Senate and the U.S. Senate. But for most of that time he has reported comparatively little by national standards in charitable contributions on his tax returns, records released by Obama show."

Why is this important? In and of itself it might not be. But when you combine it with his
1. 20 year association and employment of the Rev. Wright
2. "Typical white person" remark
3. representing himself as concerned with the poor
4. when the increase in contributions began
the charitable contributions give another insight into the character of the man.

Newsmax.com - Obama Stingy with Charities

Tax returns released by the Barack Obama presidential campaign show that Obama and his wife Michelle gave less than 1 percent of their total $1.2 million income to charity from 2000 through 2004.
The Obamas reported that they gave $2,350 to charity in 2000 — 1 percent of their $240,505 adjusted gross income — $1,470 (.5 percent) in 2001, $1,050 (.4 percent) in 2002, $3,400 (1.4 percent) in 2003, and $2,500 (1.2 percent) in 2004.
The Obamas increased their charitable contributions to $77,315 in 2005, when their adjusted gross income was $1.65 million — including $1.2 million from Barack Obama’s book royalties.
And in 2006, the Obamas contributed $60,307 — 6.1 percent of their $983,826 AGI — including $22,500 to controversial pastor Jeremiah Wright’s Trinity United Church of Christ and $13,107 to the Congressional Black Caucus.
Getting back on topic.....

The measure of a man is how he chooses to live his life when no one is watching.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

dex wrote:
Quote:
So it appears with Senator Obama - he says he is for the poor but he has not made a personal commitment to it (as reflected in his chariatable contributions). And when he did it was just before he was to run for president. Also, one of the largest contributions was to the Congressional Black Caucus - not to the poor.

But the guy did work as a community organizer for a couple of years after graduating from Columbia University. And he graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School and served as the editor of the Harvard Law Review. After he did that he worked as the head of a voter registration drive. After Harvard he could have gone to any law firm in the country and named his price. Me personally, I count his forgone income from those years as major donations to charity.

I have published twice to the Early Retirement Forums, and both times have been about politics and to defend Obama. That isn't what I came here for. I'm not going to post on politics here anymore. The discussions are interesting and everyone has good intentions for the country, but I think everyone's minds are made up....

Drago
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Well ok we could do that. But sometimes I like a little Cash.
The Man in Black - Mr. Johnny Cash

I hope you like the 3 songs. Mr. Johnny Cash a true American Legend.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
But all you're doing is attacking Obama on trivial personal matters. You are not discussing the issues --like how to end the war in Iraq, Health Care, environmental and financial regulation. There's no discussion of McCain's fault's. He has already reversed his positions on several important issues. What does that say about his character?
Quote:
I think you can do both - talk about the issues and discuss what the person did in the past to shape them as individuals and hopefully get an insight into how they might behave if elected. Too often presidents said one thing and did another while in office

+++++++++.

Again, by itself it might not appear to be anything but taken together with the other items it does give you insights into the man's character. And it is not flattering. His actions clash with some of his public positions
What is trivial to one person is important to another. Character is an important aspect of the person running for office. As I mentioned in my original post quoted above a person once elected might do the opposite of what they ran on.

When interviewing a person for a position we ask them both what they have done in the past (past companies/associations/decisions/accomplishments/weaknesses) and what they would do if they got the position.(issues).
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
I thought this forum was for early retirement discussions, but given the number of threads started for the sole purpose of bashing Obama I'm beginning to wonder what this forum is about.

Oh moderator, enough is enough. I'm beginning to feel like I'm attending a KKK meeting when I visit this forum.

Anyone else tiring of this agenda?
Are you new to this Forum? Go back and look at how many Bush bashing threads there are. You can't have it both ways. If Obama or any other democrat is elected, I would expect it to get worse not better. The only place I see bashing of the President going down is in the National Press.

Obama chose to run for President. Therefore, all forms of criticisms directed toward other candidates should apply to him. He has received special treatment in the press, so much so, that Saturday Night Live even started to poke fun. If he, and his supporters, can not stand up to the mild critiques he has received thus far, I hate to see the melt down should he actually be elected.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Getting back on topic.....

The measure of a man is how he chooses to live his life when no one is watching.
Right, and since McCain hasn't released his tax records, no one truly is watching.