For once, blame the student
Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For once, blame the student

Interesting op-ed piece from Yahoo:

http://tinyurl.com/f9mwq

Here are some excerpts:

Quote:
Politicians and education bureaucrats can talk all they want about reform, but until the work ethic of U.S. students changes, until they are willing to put in the time and effort to master their subjects, little will change.
Quote:
"Kids have convinced parents that it is the teacher or the system that is the problem, not their own lack of effort," says Dave Roscher, a chemistry teacher at T.C. Williams in this Washington suburb. "In my day, parents didn't listen when kids complained about teachers. We are supposed to miraculously make kids learn even though they are not working."
Quote:
"Every year, I have had parents come in to argue about the grades I have given in my AP English classes. To me, my grades are far too generous; to middle-class parents, they are often an affront to their sense of entitlement. If their kids do a modicum of work, many parents expect them to get at least a B. When I have given C's or D's to bright middle-class kids who have done poor or mediocre work, some parents have accused me of destroying their children's futures."
Quote:
Colleges keep complaining that students are coming to them unprepared. Instead of raising admissions standards, however, they keep accepting mediocre students lest cuts have to be made in faculty and administration.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: For once, blame the student
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I can recall a few things from high school-

1. Teaching to the lowest common denominator.
2. Up until the 11-12th grade, a student culture that ostracizes "smart" kids.
3. Parents unwilling to accept that their children are bastards and/or dumb. "oh MY Timmy couldn't have been disrupting class...it must have been that OTHER child"
4. Presentation of information without context or discussion- the spoon-feeding of predigested facts creates students unable to think, or to incorporate/apply new knowledge on their own.
5. A teaching culture that "values and respects all ideas"- and then attempts to rationalize and interpret them in such a way to validate the student's really dumb idea. In history class, I probably could have said something like "Hitler was an awesome man, and a role model for millions." I did have some teachers that would have called me on that and said "Son, that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard", but they were in the minority.
6. Teachers who are not qualified to be teaching in a particular subject area. Example: my "health" teacher was also the PE teacher. He taught us that "REM Sleep" is what allows your eyes to move quickly, and that if you don't get enough "REM Sleep" during the night, then you can't move them quickly... he then demonstrated what a lack of "REM Sleep" would look like- he fixed his eyes on the back wall, and tossed his keys up in front of his face without moving his eyes. I remember just rolling my eyes.... indicating that I had obtained enough REM sleep I suppose.

I could probably come up with more

Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #3

I had a good english teacher in h.s. that actually was preparing kids for college and not handing out "A's". He ended up teaching general english and retiring shortly after. :P
Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beagle Formerly Known as Maddy
I had a good english teacher in h.s. that actually was preparing kids for college and not handing out "A's".
I did too. I hated him at first. He made us memorize stuff, and every friday did something called "cultural literacy".... he used the alphabet and went from A-Z. I don't remember 'A', but 'B' was "Burma Shave" and their ad campaign. Z was Zyclon-B, the fumigant used by the Nazis in the concentration camps....

Looking back, he was probably one of the better teachers I had.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #5

Marshac,
I'm commenting on this after having breathed (second hand) about a billion cubic liters of high grade ganja. The neighbors must have lit up a Genetically Modified Cucumber sized doobie. Wow.

When I went to school, the students who were dumber than a rock moved on to more well suited pursuits. That left the harder working ?, smarter ?, gifted ? or connected ?, students to get a real education. Not ever one can handle it.

See GWB for reference.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, its up to the parents to influence their kids to get the most of their education...and the kids to do the work...AND the school to provide adequate curriculum and teaching.

Any part of this missing and the whole thing fails.

Unfortunately, two or all three are not doing too well in many cases...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote