Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

For our Hawaiian friends
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For our Hawaiian friends

Be safe!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
gone traveling

My mom just talked with her cousin the other day on Honolulu and she sounded terrible coughing and having a hard time breathing, she is asthmatic and the Vog is really bothering her. Under a microscope the particles in the air are glass like shards.

My parents own a piece of undeveloped land less than 5 miles from the eruption, we have been paying $300 a year in taxes for the past 40 years and I think we’re gonna finally stop paying on it, it’s too close

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also had a cousin living in Hawaii for a time (she has moved back to the mainland). In fact, she lived on the big island not far from the summit of Kileau, and the large family she married into still lives there. You should sell your land rather than let the state/county/whatever have it for taxes. It is a different, less destructive, type of volcano as compared to say Mt St. Helen's. Someone, mainly those with local ties I suppose, will always want to live there. Check out Home - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL for good local coverage of the eruption and lava vents/flows.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I feel for all those people.

So when this erupting will you be able to live on that land again or is the land pretty much destroyed?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

I am an avid follower of the Hawaiian volcanoes. The site of the present fissure eruptions is pretty much the same area as the 1955 eruptions, if you look at the map closely dated May 16th, and prior.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...edia_maps.html
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

A number of homeowners in the rift zone have lava piles (cant remember the local name for them) in small areas of their properties from previous eruptions. You can get a permit to build/re-build if there is enough area left uncovered. otherwise, no. However, several have built without a permit right on top of several feet of lava that totally inundated a neighborhood. You can even rent cottages so situated. Think there is one for sale even for $100k. The homeowner trucked in some fill dirt and created a rather nice little garden area. of course, when one pulls back the camera from the house itself, there it is in a sea of black lava with a few other homes scattered about also built without permit.

its a unique lifestyle, most homes even in established areas with subdivisions do not have water service. So you need a rain catchment tank and a piping system with filtration to get water to the house. There is electric service, but not everywhere, and certainly not for homes built in subdivisions covered over by previous flows. So, solar panels are common.

Still, one can get a home near Kilauea for under $200k. A lot under, if one can deal with a fixer upper. Whereas, in other parts of even the big island, its $450k and up, way up in many cases. So, if one really wants to live in Hawaii, there are options for most anyone. personally, I'm not that nuts, I mean adventurous, not at my age anyway.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in Kauai now and fortunately no impact on the air quality here at this point.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #8

In most of Hawaii, home owners do not own the land, they rent it from the Bishop Estate, a quagmire charity that exists to benefit the school children of certain if not all, school districts in the state. The leases run for 99 years if I'm not mistaken. Some of this property was rented to developers, who in turn, promised sewage, electricity, fresh water etc., and divvied up lots. When either not enough lots were "sold" or costs were too high for the utilities, the lot holders have resorted to what looks like squatters villages, as MDMC mentions, generators, solar collectors, rain water collectors and porta johns/ chemical pots. But in other places on the islands, it has worked out very well.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Under a microscope the particles in the air are glass like shards.

It will ruin all manner of machinery and engines as well. We lived through Mount St. Helens and it was hell on the cars.
2lhasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Actually, the Bishops Estates control only about 1/8 of the land in Hawaii. There has been quite a lot of corruption among the trustees over its roughly 125+ yr history also. I do not believe any of the Kilauea area land is controlled by them. A book, think it was called "Broken Trust" was written about a decade ago about the Bishops Estates.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

We live in Kailua Kona, Hawaii. Except for increased vog, all is good on the big island. It is difficult for the people affected in the subdivisions by the volcano.
sunandfish is offline   Reply With Quote